Patrol 2.8 1995 diesel turbo

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 20, 2019 at 20:43
ThreadID: 137699 Views:3432 Replies:9 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys, I’m in the market for a 4x4. I want to be able to drive down any road or beach that I want to and eventually drive it around Australia. I have my eye on a patrol but I know nothing about motors. It has good history and an old female owner who I believe took good care of it.. I’m looking at some receipts for some work done in 2012 where I think the engine was taken apart and fixed up but I can’t really tell as it’s a lot of words that mean nothing to me! It cost $2000 for all the work done in 2012 about 100000ks ago, does that sound right for an engine rebuild? I’m happy to send someone pictures of the receipts and who may be able to decipher what it all means?

Thanks guys any help is greatly appreciated. I’m a little over my head and I’ve got no one else to ask.. really can’t afford to get stung for $10k! Cheers!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Keith P (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 20, 2019 at 21:45

Sunday, Jan 20, 2019 at 21:45
I have one of these ...pretty much the same except mine is a 1997 model.Maybe if you want to ring me on 0414 550 227 termorra I may be able to help you out.I tow a van ...about 2 tonnes give or take ....have owned it now for 11 years....and done 200000 k in it in that time. so I guess by now I know the weak spots and foibles of them.

Cheers Keith
Nothin is ever the same once I own it ...........

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 623317

Follow Up By: terryt - Monday, Jan 21, 2019 at 06:57

Monday, Jan 21, 2019 at 06:57
Or you could pay a mechanic or your state motoring organisation to give it a good looking over. Peace of mind?
FollowupID: 896490

Reply By: RMD - Monday, Jan 21, 2019 at 09:39

Monday, Jan 21, 2019 at 09:39
It is interesting that Nissan only made that engine for a short time then gave up.
From memory, they have ceramic piston crowns and some gave trouble.
You say the engine has done 100,000 since the work done on it. $2000 spent on one isn't a lot of work though. A few parts would easily cost $1000 and labour wold quickly eat the rest.
My question would be, Why did it need engine work early in it's life?
Later in life I can understand but not in the early km of usage.
Best to check parts availability and PRICE of engine parts, They will most likely be quite expensive should you need them. The initial purchase price may be attractive but the long term ownership might be costly.
Look at the whole picture. Travelling around Australia, if you experience any problems, consider who may be able to repair it, they aren't the most common engines around.
AnswerID: 623319

Follow Up By: Rob J3 - Monday, Jan 21, 2019 at 09:57

Monday, Jan 21, 2019 at 09:57
Looking st the receipts it seems like after 350000k a second hand motor was put in and the hoses, timing belt and exhaust manifold gasket were replaced. That was 100k ago. Are you saying 350k is too early to have this work done?

I believe it was on ex police car which was then sold to a lady who looked after it well for 11 years or so.
FollowupID: 896493

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, Jan 21, 2019 at 11:54

Monday, Jan 21, 2019 at 11:54
Rob.
No, I didn’t say that at all. You didn’t mention any previous history and so presumed, as you said, it had engine work 100,000km ago. That means the vehicle has done 450,000km now.
Now what you reveal is, there wasn’t engine work done, simply a replacement engine and associated necessary replacement items.
They were usually used to tow horse floats for Police.

How many kms had the replacement engine done when fitted?
Has it ever been apart for repair?
Best to check these things.
FollowupID: 896498

Follow Up By: Rob J3 - Monday, Jan 21, 2019 at 12:19

Monday, Jan 21, 2019 at 12:19
Sorry I must have been unclear. Yeah the odo reads 450000k but I have receipts from 100000k ago of a replacement motor being installed. To be honest, I trust the history of the vehicle is good and legit.

Let’s say the second hand engine had 200000k on it. That means the engine has done 300000k. So let’s say worst case the engine is between 350-400000k. What sort of problems am I likely to run into with an engine that’s clocked up so many ks? Let’s assume the maintenance of the engine has been mostly good. Could I realistically drive it another 300000ks? Are patrols known to go on for so long? The seller owns 3 other patrols and swears by them, only reason he is selling is because he wanted a patrol ute to transport his dirt bikes..
FollowupID: 896500

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, Jan 21, 2019 at 13:03

Monday, Jan 21, 2019 at 13:03
That patrol is the only patrol with that engine, ie, none before or after that series. So reliability for other patrols with different engines will be different so can't be compared. Seeing it is a once only run the likelyhood of spares and replacements becomes less and less. It wasn't a common one anyway. If the engine you have has now done 300k or more, then you are closer to repairs aren't you. You mentioned not wanting additional costs.
FollowupID: 896502

Follow Up By: garrycol - Monday, Jan 21, 2019 at 19:20

Monday, Jan 21, 2019 at 19:20
From what I remember the 2.8 was a very reliable engine, but lacking power and torque but in itself a reasonable workhorse. Certainly more reliable than the later 3.0s but had little up and go.
FollowupID: 896512

Follow Up By: Member - Keith P (NSW) - Monday, Jan 21, 2019 at 19:31

Monday, Jan 21, 2019 at 19:31
Intersting that it has been stated that Nissan only made this engine for a short time...6 years is a short time ??? And if anyone cares to look on overseas forums...the RD28 was in Nissans from 1989 to the present ....all over the world.. Short time eh .....??!!!

Cheers Keith

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 896513

Reply By: Member Kerry W (WA) - Monday, Jan 21, 2019 at 12:34

Monday, Jan 21, 2019 at 12:34
Rob
It is hard to know what has been done to any second hand vehicle you purchase, let alone how well it was done. All too often people spend as little as possible.

I looked at one of these (1997 2.8 turbo diesel) quite a few years ago. engine had been rebuilt but had reservations about the workmanship, even though it ran well at the time. I have rebuilt many engines over the years and know what is involved (cost and attention to detail) in making an engine reliable and trouble free for the duration of its life.
I ended up keeping my older GQ with the petrol RB30 (3 litre). It has now done over 350k and the engine still runs sweetly with only relatively minor maintenence (valves/timing belt etc etc) - although after 19 years of ownership it is quite modified from original - I will never sell it!
My reasoning is that even though it is not diesel, they are one of the most reliable petrol engines Nissan made,(usually good for 500K) relatively cheap to rebuild or replace, plenty of spares and field servicable. Gets between 15 and 20 lit/100ks average over the last 5 years with 33"tyres 18l/100k) You have to spend a lot of money to get a "capable" and reliable vehicle with good fuel economy - that is the trade off.
It is getting harder and harder to find low km GQs these days but rest assured plenty of people are keeping them and maintaining them - if you are lucky you may score one of these. I do reccommend you look at 4.2 diesels or if your budget is low consider the RB30 if you can find a good one. (Once upon a time the RB30 was considered an unpopular motor because it was thought to be underpowered - however it is a high revving motor and will perform quite well in 3rd or 4th gear up to 5000rpm - remember its little brother the RB26 (turbo'd) won Bathurst in 1991 + 1992)
If you own an older 4x4 of any breed you will need to be reasonably mechanically adept to keep out of the poor house. Preventative maintenence is the key.
Hope this is of some use to you

cheers
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 623322

Reply By: Mick O - Monday, Jan 21, 2019 at 12:34

Monday, Jan 21, 2019 at 12:34
Rob, look no further;

All decked out and ready to go!

Cheers

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 623323

Follow Up By: Greg J1 - Monday, Jan 21, 2019 at 19:40

Monday, Jan 21, 2019 at 19:40
Mick O.

Nooooooo. I have a 2006 model. Has a little bit more fruit than yours. 240000 kms. I wouldn’t accept less than $30 000 for mine. In absolutely mint condition.

I still nearly cry about selling my 80 series.

Gees don’t give it away.

Cheers Greg.

FollowupID: 896514

Reply By: Member - John - Monday, Jan 21, 2019 at 12:50

Monday, Jan 21, 2019 at 12:50
Rob, having owned one of these many years ago, I would run away from it very fast, way underpowered, very susceptible to blowing head gaskets and very very expensive for repairs etc, way back when, was over $2000 for a head gasket replacement. I have no idea what your budget is, but I, even though a Nissan man would be looking very closely at Mick O's Toyota, much , much better vehicle.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 623324

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, Jan 21, 2019 at 13:06

Monday, Jan 21, 2019 at 13:06
Thanks John.
I was skirting around the issue trying to alert the buyer. But since you have directly mentioned NO purchase, it is probably the one vehicle I would avoid too.
ROB Doesn't want to get stung but these engines are like box jellyfish. They strike when unexpected.
FollowupID: 896503

Reply By: nickb - Monday, Jan 21, 2019 at 14:15

Monday, Jan 21, 2019 at 14:15
This motor was also used in the GU patrol until 2000. They had a reputation for being gutless and doing headgaskets. If the headgasket hasn’t been done in the last 100,000km I would factor repairing/replacing the head in your budget. Other than that they were OK.

Basically I would steer clear if you are not mechanically minded and there are no receipts for recent head work.
AnswerID: 623325

Reply By: Member - mark D18 - Monday, Jan 21, 2019 at 18:35

Monday, Jan 21, 2019 at 18:35
Rob
As mentioned they were not a great motor.
I would steer clear.
Mick O has offered up his Cruiser, that's the way I would go if you have the extra cash.
I am pretty sure he wouldn't sell you a dud vehicle as he has a great reputation on this forum.

Cheers
AnswerID: 623330

Reply By: Member - Keith P (NSW) - Monday, Jan 21, 2019 at 19:11

Monday, Jan 21, 2019 at 19:11
Well Well....that brought out the knockers and naysayers hey !!! All right you lot ....how many of you have ACTUALLY owned and lived with one of these long term .....HMMMM ? And I don't mean a mate of a mate ...my cousin etc etc ....actually owned one ????
They are no different to any other Patrol motor ...and better than some ..IF...looked after and serviced properly. I have seen plenty of "stuff" on the net about them ....and reading and studying all the aforementioned "stuff" it comes to light that basic maintenance...abuse...and a bit of good old TLC has been severely lacking in just about every instance !.
I speak to other owners of these from time to time...and most of them are pleased with them. The others are not so pleased...and when questioned a bit about why ....it nearly always comes out that good old honest basic maintenance has been skipped .

Now I will bugger off...kick the soapbox into a corner ...and enjoy my RD 28 ...towing my 2 tonne van around OZ.

Cheers Keith

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 623331

Follow Up By: Greg J1 - Monday, Jan 21, 2019 at 20:17

Monday, Jan 21, 2019 at 20:17
Obviously John has.

Cheers Greg.
FollowupID: 896515

Follow Up By: Member - John - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2019 at 07:29

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2019 at 07:29
Keith,yes owned one and after a 10000km trip to the Kimberley sold it when I returned. Touring unladen was ok, packed for a long trip, etc, was a slug, having to slip the clutch to get it mobile was not a good thing. Vehicle was well maintained and serviced regularly but even so, did a head gasket on the first day and then on the last day further mechanical problems, thank god for Total Care. Parts were expensive back then, maybe more so now, I don't know. Bought a 4.2TD ute, totally different experience. Have owned MK, GQ, and three GU's over the years.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 896518

Follow Up By: RMD - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2019 at 09:41

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2019 at 09:41
If they were reliable and not troublesome, then Nissan would have continued with that engine. They are different to the others. Nissan quickly cut their losses and tried another.
Just because some people don't have trouble isn't a valid recommendation.
What you can be sure of is, if it has done pelnty of Km, ie 300,000km, then the likelyhood of problems is somewhat logarithmic. Failure and possibility of costly repairs increases dramatically.
The base reason for Rob to ask was, NOT, to get into continued expense. Hence the alerts in the replies.
FollowupID: 896521

Follow Up By: Member - Keith P (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2019 at 19:01

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2019 at 19:01
Nissan couldnt continue with the 2.8...as it wouldnt meet the ever tightening emission laws at the time. It is a cross injection engine ...ie ...injecters squirt into a pre combustion chamber rather than straight on top of piston...and as anyone knows ...they are a bit more smokey than others until warmed up. And as for their so called perceived lack of longevity...there are heaps running around Dubbo and further west with 350000 to more than 500000...on them...according to the local Nissan dealer anyhow...if the bloke I spoke to about mine (sold there from new )was fair dinkum. He also said it was the biggest selling engine in the GQ in the last 6 months before GU was released. Mine was the last GQ they sold with 2.8...the GU was already on the floor .

Cheers Keith

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 896526

Reply By: Member - Warren H - Monday, Jan 21, 2019 at 22:10

Monday, Jan 21, 2019 at 22:10
For all things Patrol related, model and engine specific sections and all and any mod you could ever think off:
https://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/index.php
Cheers Wazza
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 623333

Sponsored Links