Hybrid Caravans

Submitted: Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 14:01
ThreadID: 137791 Views:6898 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Looking at maybe purchasing a 12’ to 15’ hybrid caravan, has any one got one and are they any good? The idea seems ok.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Kenell - Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 16:22

Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 16:22
We have a Lifestyle Reconn and love it. Can handle the rough stuff alright and sits pretty well behind the truck. My guess is it weighs around 2t fully loaded. It is 5.3m from tow point to spare wheel. It is exactly the same height as the truck so no wind resistance. Not much room inside but enough to get out of the weather if you need to. Love the external kitchen and storage space.

AnswerID: 623772

Reply By: CSeaJay - Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 16:36

Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 16:36
For hybrids you cannot go past AOR.
I suggest you need to decide whether you want an internal or external shower/loo.
and internal or external cooking.
These are the major lifestyle choice, and then search your models accordingly.
AnswerID: 623773

Reply By: Member - John T (Tamworth NSW) - Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 17:02

Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 17:02
Good afternoon George,

I have the pleasure of owning a 2011 Quantum hybrid camper made in Australia by Australian Off Road at Caloundra.
I have towed it behind my Nissan Patrol for 10’s of 1000’s of k’s on highways and. BHi was s and some downright shocking tracks.
It has nor suffered any damage apart from the chassis being stone blasted. No dust inside and the drinks have always been cold whenever we have pulled up stumps for the day.
I have lived in it for weeks at a time whilst doing volunteer work with Blazezaid and yes it is small inside but I tend to spend most time outside anyway. All cooking is outside, small toilet and shower combined inside + an outside shower facility.
It was expensive but AOR have no restrictions on where you take it a small long as you lower tyre pressure so and slow to appropriate speed. Their after sales and warranty is amazing. If you contact them they may allow “guest” access to the owners forum.
DoI love my “Q” - sure do. Surely worth a look anyway.
Cheers
John T (Lifetime Member)
VKS-737 Mobile 2619
Selcall 2619
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours" - Richard Bach in "Illusions"

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 623774

Follow Up By: Member - George T - Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 17:09

Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 17:09
Thanks John, we like the concept and having spent the last 10 years working in rural and remote areas of Sth Australia I’ve come across some wonderful places where one of these types of vans would be the ideal thing,just have to work out which one.
FollowupID: 897027

Follow Up By: Gronk - Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 18:30

Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 18:30
The AOR is certainly a nice unit. Complete Campsite make another.

We own a slightly smaller Lifestyle AT10 ( which is for sale ).

The limiting factor in owning any hybrid is money......how much you want to spend will determine which one you could own..
FollowupID: 897034

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 22:55

Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 22:55
Can't go past the AOR options in my view.
We have a 2015 Eclipse which has internal plus external kitchen, and an external shower pod, all of which suits our travel preferences perfectly.
We tow with a Hilux and the Eclipse does all we want unless we decide to head off in a tent (eg, the Canning or Simpson, where I wouldn't tow a trailer of any sort).
AOR have a range of options from a smaller hybrid poptop (the Odyssey) up to full height vans. Certainly worth a look if your budget will stretch.
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 623784

Sponsored Links