Fire Confusion at Dalhousie

Hi, I've previously asked about Dust while camping at Dalhousie Springs but I thought it appropriate to start a new thread about "Fires at Dalhousie Springs"

I've received mixed messages regarding having a fire at the Springs, from Fire Pits with your own wood to a total ban 24/7. Parks gave me the same message from their website which didn't create certainty.

I have 4 other vehicles all Desert Newbies and will be coming in late so an extra night was planned to have a float and a good look around. It's the last place I'd camp other than it is an interesting place for first timers.

We have a Drifta Fire Pit and Ekologs. Surely we can use this set up at the Springs?

Can anyone illuminate us on the facts please.

Cheers

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Monday, Apr 29, 2019 at 06:55

Monday, Apr 29, 2019 at 06:55
From the latest Desert Parks Bulletin
"Wood fires are not permitted in Witjira, with the exception that wood fires are still permitted at Mt Dare. This does not apply to the Munga-Thirri–Simpson Desert reserves in South Australia and wood can be carried through Witjira to be used in the Munga-Thirri–Simpson Desert reserves."

As Ekologs are made from recycled wood waste then as they are wood then no you can't burn them at Dalhousie or in Witjira NP.
The biggest problem is everyone disposing of the ash, most people are too lazy to carry the ash out to the rubbish pits and just throw the ash around the camping area or allow it to build up in the old firepits and along with the burnt rubbish it makes a mess and eventually in high usage areas like Dalhousie it blackens the whole area.
AnswerID: 625216

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Apr 29, 2019 at 08:11

Monday, Apr 29, 2019 at 08:11
On the Witjiry National Park pages of the SA Parks under Safety - Fire it says this: That definitely indicates that charcoal or synthetic log fires are ok in a pit. That area includes Dalhousie.

-----------------------------------------

Can I have a fire or barbecue?
Wood fires

Prohibited throughout the year.

Mt Dare Campground
Wood fires and solid fuel fires are prohibited from 22 October 2018 to 31 March 2019 inclusive.

Alternative solid fuel fires

Prohibited from 22 October 2018 to 31 March 2018.
Outside of these dates alternative solid fuel fires are permitted in portable firepits, braziers or similar receptacles only.
FollowupID: 898832

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Apr 29, 2019 at 09:23

Monday, Apr 29, 2019 at 09:23
Ok just checked with the Ranger for that park.

Small pits with solid commercial fuel are good to go.

It has to be obvious that the fule wasn't collected in the park. Artificial logs, charcoal etc is ok.

It surprised me.
FollowupID: 898835

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Monday, Apr 29, 2019 at 10:56

Monday, Apr 29, 2019 at 10:56
There are signs everywhere saying firewood collection is prohibited.
FollowupID: 898844

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Tuesday, Apr 30, 2019 at 00:20

Tuesday, Apr 30, 2019 at 00:20
Michael H9, that does not mean that you cannot have a fire, it just means you cannot collect fire wood in the park. If you bring the wood in with you, that is ok.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 898883

Reply By: Michael M34 - Monday, Apr 29, 2019 at 12:04

Monday, Apr 29, 2019 at 12:04
Thanks guys,

The web site was always quite clear however the 'confusion' was created by rumours and mixed messages from travellers. Apparently the ash created by hard woods is an issue at Dalhousie and the whole 'what will happen next' thing arose.

To clear up any and all misconceptions, I rang Witjirri NP management and they confirmed portable fire pits and solid fuels like Ekologs are not only ok but encouraged. Ekologs because of a binding agent burn away to a fine white powder about 10% of the quantity of ash that comes from hardwood fires.

Cheers
AnswerID: 625224

Follow Up By: Member - Rick T4 - Tuesday, Apr 30, 2019 at 19:37

Tuesday, Apr 30, 2019 at 19:37
Michael M34
Suggest having a look at the Kingaroy Choofer. Super environmentally friendly Produces 500-1000mls of ash with constant cooking and warming use over a couple of days. Have taken ours everywhere including Vic National Parks with their rangers approval

FollowupID: 898913

Reply By: Member - Roadtripster - Wednesday, Jun 19, 2019 at 19:41

Wednesday, Jun 19, 2019 at 19:41
Hi, We stayed at Dalhousie about 2 weeks ago. We burnt Ekologs in a fire pit with the support of the volunteers there. It was freeeezing and so good to have a fire. Enjoy your visit. Lisa
AnswerID: 626304

Sponsored Links