Cowarie Station on Birdsville Track

Submitted: Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 17:10
ThreadID: 138315 Views:4747 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone camped here in recent times. A previous 2012 post did not give it a great review but given its position near the current water inundation in that region it looks like an interesting place to visit.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 17:38

Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 17:38
Hi Andrew

You may as well go straight to the top and give Sharon a call to see if you are able to camp there.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 625514

Reply By: Member - sparra - Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 19:47

Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 19:47
Years ago I went through Cowarie to Kalamurina station about 10 Kay’s from there. Instead of camping near the homestead you were allowed to follow the Warburton river for a bit over 50 Klm, I found a good spot to camp beside the river,past a place that had a sign ‘sparrows Landing’. Kept a good eye on the weather as it would not have taken much rain to be stuck there and I was on my own. There also was old homestead ruins just near Kalamurina Lake and also further on there was signs of an old hut and a fenced area where they must have had some sort of a crop growing many years ago. A very interesting and remote place.
no good being the richest man in the cemetry

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 625516

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew B20 - Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 19:53

Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 19:53
Thanks sparra
Our initial aim was to camp at Kalamurina but the cyclone Trevor water they received last week had peaked at 2.5 metres and inundated their camping ground......which sounds like it is more limited now AWC have taken over the property and are trying to return it to its natural state and keep the human footprint smaller. Cheers Andrew
FollowupID: 899188

Sponsored Links