Front Indicators not Working

Submitted: Monday, May 20, 2019 at 12:00
ThreadID: 138357 Views:7349 Replies:9 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi.
I have a VJD79, 2012. I towe all sorts of things all the time. I hooked up the daughters Horse Float on Saturday and no indicator on the float.
Checked everything and finally discovered no turn signal on the toyota plug. Also discovered that there is no front indicator's either. Not left or right. Rear indicator work, BullBar indicators work and side indicators work, just not the large front ones or the trailer loom.
Any clues?

Regards
Mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, May 20, 2019 at 13:44

Monday, May 20, 2019 at 13:44
Is it a blown fuse? I tow horse floats too behind 2 different Landcruisers and had one recently that blew the indicator fuses on our 80 series due to faulty wiring on the float.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 625635

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Monday, May 20, 2019 at 19:28

Monday, May 20, 2019 at 19:28
Trailer fuse most probably and inline fuseholder on the battery positive terminal
AnswerID: 625649

Reply By: rumpig - Monday, May 20, 2019 at 20:16

Monday, May 20, 2019 at 20:16
Check under the bonnet....from memory there's a fuse for the trailer plug connection on the passenger side (I think it is, but can't recall it's location under the bonnet exactly) there somewhere that may relate to your problem.
AnswerID: 625650

Reply By: RMD - Monday, May 20, 2019 at 21:28

Monday, May 20, 2019 at 21:28
If the bull Bar indicators work and they source Power from the original indicators which are not working, then something is wrong up front. Perhaps they are wired separately. A check of wires will determine that issue. Who knows what Power source and wiring is had been performed for the trailer/float.
If the vehicle rear indicators work and not trailer, then they too may be wired into different circuits or the trailer plug is sus.
AnswerID: 625653

Reply By: Painful - Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 11:48

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 11:48
Cant find a blown fuse, just the Trailer indicators (which use the Toyota Loom) and the front main indicators. As I said, front BullBar, side and rear indicators all work.
AnswerID: 625659

Follow Up By: rumpig - Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 11:55

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 11:55
The trailer indicator fuse was easy to miss being it’s on it’s own from memory, did you find it and it isn’t blown?...I only know it exists as mine blew due to a dodgy trailer plug, and a mate that owns a 4wd shop showed me the fuses existence.
FollowupID: 899320

Follow Up By: RMD - Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 11:59

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 11:59
It is nice to reafirm the faults you see, but there may be two separate faults depending on where the wiring is connected for bullbar and original indicators. Then there is the no working of trailer indicators which typically are connected to the vehicles rear wiring. Therefore the two observations of no lights might be unrelated seeing you do have rear indicator on vehicle operating. If not connected to rear indicator wiring then there has to be two separate flasher lines to the rear. Just remotely stating the possible ways it may be wired. On scene much easier.
FollowupID: 899321

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 16:49

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 16:49
Painful,

I had a 76 Series with a bull bar, not long after purchase, (3 days) the left hand indicator kept blowing fuses. Long story, but turned out to be an insulation fault in the indicator in the bull bar. Wiring insulation had been nicked, causing it to short out, blowing the fuse. During this investigation into this issue, I discovered there are three separate fuses for each indicator, front & rear, side, & bull bar.

Whilst this is different to what you have described, it may be something similar with the insulation on the wiring either on the trailer/horse float, or the plug.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 899326

Reply By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 21:54

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 21:54
Mark
You said there is a toyota trailor loom fitted, if it goes to the engine bay there are two relays which use the same fuse as supply. The relays are triggered by the front indicators and put power to trailor plug and front indicator per side.There should be a inline fuse tapped from the battery or a blown fuse called trailor in fuse box's.
The reason this is done is that you have lights in bull bar which are added and when the trailor is plugged in another extra light which over loads the system. Hence the main front and trailor are removed from circuit and powered by the relalys.
The trailor loom at the engine bay is plug and play with original loom and should be on the mud guard.
After finding fuse get horse float checked as short most likely there.

Murray
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 625667

Follow Up By: RMD - Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 12:33

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 12:33
If you use a 30w to 50w globe in a holder with two wires on it, wrap the ends around the blown fuse blades. When inserted, the globe load only allows a specific flow and the lights should then come ON when tested with all OK. If there is a short as Murray mentioned, the globe will burn bright because it is taking the full flow of the short.
If fixed the globe will be dull because other globes are in series with it and then you can safely install a new fuse to that holder.
I agree, inspect and test trailer first as most vehicle wiring stays the same unless the trailer base on towbar has been hammered.
FollowupID: 899332

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 15:45

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 15:45
Well RMD, I dunno about "most vehicle wiring".......

Just last week a mate had me "look at" his car with a blown tail light fuse.
He said it happened when he plugged-in the trailer. So of course I checked out the trailer and could find nothing.... hmmm, probably an intermittent.
So then with the trailer unplugged I replaced the fuse only to have it immediately blow. Aha, it's not the trailer.
Turned out to be the towbar harness was laying across the exhaust pipe, which although not hot at that point, had abraded the insulation to produce an earth fault.

The moral? Don't believe everything you're told!!!!

p.s. Like you, I have a fuse wedge with a pair of 50w halogen lamps connected. Very handy gadget at times.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 899337

Reply By: Member - Trouper (NSW) - Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 10:44

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 10:44
A mate of mine who is a great motor mechanic who sometimes works in outback locations for fun, often says that when weird things like that happens, uses the acronym CATECheck All The Earths
AnswerID: 625669

Reply By: Ron N - Friday, May 24, 2019 at 11:07

Friday, May 24, 2019 at 11:07
When fixing electrical problems such as lighting, start with the simple things first.

In this case, you'd check that both indicator globes are intact and working, and then go on to check all earth connections.
It's not the first time two globes have blown almost simultaneously.

I've just fixed a problem where I had no reversing lights on one of my Hiluxes - and as it had recently had a new clutch, I was thinking along the lines of blaming the clutch installer for not reconnecting the reversing light wiring when he moved the gearbox back, to install the clutch - and I was getting ready to scramble about, underneath the ute, for half an hour.

But a mate stopped me in my tracks when he said, "Have you checked the globes first?"
I was arguing that two globes couldn't have blown virtually together - but he was right!
Saved myself a heap of time by not having to track down and follow wiring and connectors.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 625719

Reply By: Lowan - Friday, May 24, 2019 at 16:19

Friday, May 24, 2019 at 16:19
RUMPIG is on the money. The fuse is in a hidden fuse holder behind the main battery where people mount their second battery. Sometimes the small fuse holder is pushed into the mudguard if you have a second battery or pre fuel filter added.
Search and you shall find!!
AnswerID: 625723

Sponsored Links