Why Four Wheel Drivers get a BAD Name

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 31, 2019 at 10:33
ThreadID: 139008 Views:7264 Replies:10 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
Good Morning Everyone

I have an American friend travelling at the moment on the many great roads that Len Beadell and his team constructed.

On one of my phone calls from Candace, she could not locate the Marker on the Garry Junction Road, and she put up a post here on EO, asking why was it not there.

I am now totally disgusted to share that some total low life, stole the marker, and then cut off the top section off to take home as a souvenir of their desert trip.

The full story can be read here from the Beadell's Facebook Home Page

What I would please ask all readers here on the forum, that if you know of, or heard any stories about this to please contact there local Police, or contact the Beadell's direct.

These type of people need to be kept out of our deserts, as it shows their total disrespect of its history and beauty.

Please help out and pass on to all your friends, as we must find out who it was.

Thanks for your time.

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 10 Moderator

Reply By: Kenell - Saturday, Aug 31, 2019 at 11:05

Saturday, Aug 31, 2019 at 11:05
Sorry I can't offer any information but it is evidence of a total lack of respect for our history and the hardships Len and his teams endured. I know it is relatively recent but Australian history just isn't valued as it should be. My experience with the various education systems around the country is between generations at present - my grandchildren are just starting their journey so it has been a few years since my kids went through it. The syllabus back then seemed to address the bushrangers, Burke and Wills, the gold rush and Jimmy Cook and little else. Perhaps if our young people understood more about our heritage there would be fewer drongos such as these to disregard it.
I hope this thread develops and is shared beyond EO - I have sent it on to my boys who are connected in 4WD circles.
AnswerID: 627495

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Aug 31, 2019 at 11:14

Saturday, Aug 31, 2019 at 11:14
Hi Kennell

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

It was originally Candace that brought it to my attention, as I had personally given her lots of waypoints for those special Len markers, as she looked for some time trying to find it.

Please pass this on to all your friends, as it would gibe great to find the person who stole it, and justice be served on them.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 901522

Reply By: Ron N - Saturday, Aug 31, 2019 at 12:05

Saturday, Aug 31, 2019 at 12:05
Unfortunately, the 4WD fraternity comprises a relatively small percentage of mindless morons, who basically indulge in vandalism and mindless destruction, often fuelled by excessive quantities of booze.

These are the same people you see chopping up wooden structures or wooden posts to utilise as firewood for a major bonfire.
They are same people who leave broken bottles and rubbish everywhere, in the same area as they have camped or partied.

They are mindless vandals of the highest order, and they deserve to be found, identified, photographed and reported, wherever you see their mindless activity.

It would be even better if a "Hall of Shame" webpage was initiated, with these drongoes photos clearly identifying them - and pointing out they do not belong in the 4WD and outback adventuring fraternity - but are more likely to feel affinity with the mindless morons who graffiti trains. For all we know, they are probably already members of that group.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 627497

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Aug 31, 2019 at 13:49

Saturday, Aug 31, 2019 at 13:49
Hi Ron,

Yes that would be great, and we need everyone help to to put a stop to this, before we are all stopped from visiting these great locations.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 901524

Reply By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Saturday, Aug 31, 2019 at 12:24

Saturday, Aug 31, 2019 at 12:24
Hi Stephen I was on that road a few weeks back and I've got to admit that I was surprised that we didn't see as many markers as we had a few years back. I actually mentioned to my travelling mate that there should be markers along the road. Agree with you that there are some real low life's out there!

Also why must people deface plaques at various historic sites. We did the Hay River Track and at Madigan's camp 16 one of the plaque has had a sponsors name scratched out and other scratched in comments placed all over it.

cheers

Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 627498

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Aug 31, 2019 at 13:55

Saturday, Aug 31, 2019 at 13:55
Hi Dunc

I sure is a very disappointing feeling to try and see these great bush icons, only to see nothing there"

When Candace spoke with me, I know that she was disappointed that it was not there.

The question that I would like to ask these type of people, is why do they do it, as as surely they have no apathy for following travellers.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 901525

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Aug 31, 2019 at 12:38

Saturday, Aug 31, 2019 at 12:38
Hi Stephen,

Thank you for relating this most recent event in missing Beadell plaques.
They are significant artefacts of our Australian history and it is shameful that there are persons with low morals who continually steal them.

Connie and Mick labour to maintain these plaques in tribute to Connie's father who left us his heritage of outback roads. Their efforts provide us travellers of Len's roads with tangible testimony of the hard work and privation of the "Gunbarrel Road Construction Party".

The full story of the plaques maintenance program can be read here on the Beadell website.
Connie and Mick deserve our full support of their efforts.
And the plaque thieves deserve our full condemnation.

Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 627500

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Aug 31, 2019 at 14:00

Saturday, Aug 31, 2019 at 14:00
Hi Allan

To me it is extremely disappointing to hear of there such things, and I know first hand what it is like to come to one of those famous landmarks, only to find the plaque stolen.

Years ago when came across one such tree on the original Abandoned Gunbarrel, stopping to hopefully photograph the plaque, only to find the white painted blaze and no plaque.

Perhaps as a group, we could all pitch in and help get the plaques back in place.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 901526

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Aug 31, 2019 at 16:00

Saturday, Aug 31, 2019 at 16:00
Stephen, as a "group' I think we could best "help the cause" by donating cash to the Beadell's Plaques Maintenance Program.
Connie and Mick freely give their time but it also costs a few bob to purchase materials to replace plaques, to say nothing of their fuel costs.

I am sending a donation their way and if anyone else wishes to do so, Member Message or email me (address in My Profile) and I'll send you their bank details.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 901528

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Saturday, Aug 31, 2019 at 14:38

Saturday, Aug 31, 2019 at 14:38
If anyone visits one of these morons homes and happens to spot these 'trophies' on a mantlepiece of in a mancave it is your responsibility to dob them in.
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 627501

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Aug 31, 2019 at 16:26

Saturday, Aug 31, 2019 at 16:26
Hi Stan

I hope so and the more that are aware, the great chance of finding out who it is.

PS.....not long now to Renmark.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 901529

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Saturday, Aug 31, 2019 at 15:21

Saturday, Aug 31, 2019 at 15:21
Stephen, I see there is a post about facebook here but I will give it one thing, it is very good at relaying information to a wide range of people very quickly and Australia wide.

The people who steal plaques like this always have to show them off and pump their chest out, that may just be their undoing as mates and acquaintances pass information on.

Anyway I hope so, not that anything will happen to them.
AnswerID: 627502

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Aug 31, 2019 at 15:50

Saturday, Aug 31, 2019 at 15:50
Eagle, as for publicising this thievery on Facebook, there could be a flip-side.... Those readers who are honest can do little, those not so honest may discover an opportunity for felonious gain.

And I'm not so sure that "mates" will dob the the pilferers in.
Firstly, Mates-is-Mates. They are likely to be of the same ilk.
Secondly, even if the "honest mate" regards it to be in poor taste, they are likely to hold back from denunciation for the sake of maintaining a friendship.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 901527

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Aug 31, 2019 at 16:38

Saturday, Aug 31, 2019 at 16:38
Hi Eagle

I do not have Facebook, but use Fiona’s details to look at a few sites only, and is the Beadell’s.

Down the very bottom I happened to find the details about the stolen post and plaque.

The only reason why I added their link to my story, was to let others out there that are like me and do not use FB.

I hope that the more people get to know about this, the person or culprits who did this are brought to justice.

There is a very good old saying......”Birds of a feather, stick together” and as Allan has said, the persons mates could most likely be in with it as well.

Either way, I hope that the honest and decent people that do know something, at least let the Beadells where it ended up.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 901530

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Sunday, Sep 01, 2019 at 06:22

Sunday, Sep 01, 2019 at 06:22
Just a take on it, many of these people aren't the sharpest pencil in the case. Many are so retarded they post either photos or admissions on line and get busted. You only have to see some of the videos posted by mates of footballers that destroy their careers.

The police get much of their information from informants and facebook, not that this would be high priority for them.

I also don't use facebook but my wife does, and I know how successful it is with the return of lost animals.
FollowupID: 901533

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Sunday, Sep 01, 2019 at 08:34

Sunday, Sep 01, 2019 at 08:34
The guy who ran down all the emus got caught because he posted the video on Facebook. He obviously didn't think he was doing anything wrong??
FollowupID: 901534

Reply By: gke - Saturday, Aug 31, 2019 at 15:45

Saturday, Aug 31, 2019 at 15:45
That looks like the Lizard Bore entrance. We went past there on April 8th this year and noted the plaque and post had gone. We normally camp there but went on a bit further to the Telstra tower.
Cheers, Graham.
AnswerID: 627503

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Aug 31, 2019 at 16:50

Saturday, Aug 31, 2019 at 16:50
Hi Graham

Yes that’s the post and plaque.

It must have happened before then and I am sure that the Beadells will find that interesting.

Thanks for your reply.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 901531

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Aug 31, 2019 at 17:20

Saturday, Aug 31, 2019 at 17:20
I will say this................

I wouldn't want to be caught pinching a Beadell plaque if Connie and Mick came along.

Have you ever seen the size of Mick's fists? lol
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 627504

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Aug 31, 2019 at 17:35

Saturday, Aug 31, 2019 at 17:35
Hi Allan

Perhaps a bit of Bush Justice is what is needed.

Either way, it shows just what low life people there are out there.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 901532

Reply By: Candace S. - Sunday, Sep 01, 2019 at 21:04

Sunday, Sep 01, 2019 at 21:04
How crazy! Did the idiot(s) even realize the plaque was a replica?!

Several days later, on the Gunbarrel Highway, I found that a plaque commemorating the Carnegie expedition is also missing. :(

Thx for posting the info from Connie and Mick.
AnswerID: 627516

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Sep 01, 2019 at 22:22

Sunday, Sep 01, 2019 at 22:22
Hi Candace

Good to hear from you tonight.

You are sure seeing some of those great Len roads, and hope you are enjoying the bitumen in Coober Pedy.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 901553

Reply By: Siringo - Tuesday, Sep 03, 2019 at 11:27

Tuesday, Sep 03, 2019 at 11:27
This is just something we have to live with unfortunately, it drives me as mad as the next person, but we're fighting a losing battle against people as ignorant as this.

I think the plague in your photo Stephen is a replacement, so they stole a copy.

On the Madigan Line, I think it's Camp 11 where the plague is totally defaced.

It's not something I understand or am able to explain.
AnswerID: 627552

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Sep 03, 2019 at 12:04

Tuesday, Sep 03, 2019 at 12:04
Hi Siringo

Yes the plaque that was stolen was a replacement, and it is an ongoing job for Mick and Connie.

But to steal the complete post just shows what type of people there are out there.

I has me floored why brainless people do such things and spoil it for others.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 901617

Follow Up By: rumpig - Tuesday, Sep 03, 2019 at 17:16

Tuesday, Sep 03, 2019 at 17:16
It was likely quicker for this clown to rip the post out with thier vehicle rather then try and remove the plaque, so they likely pushed it over with what they were driving and threw the post in thier vehicle to remove what they wanted from it at another location at a later time.
FollowupID: 901619

Sponsored Links