is that possible or is it too heavy and bulky?

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 01, 2019 at 21:06
ThreadID: 139013 Views:12855 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
G'day mates,
starting to plan my next trip to DownUnder.

After a couple problems on the last trip (mother died, got sick,...) I decided to try my One-Year-Australia again.

Now, as in the past, the most important question is what 4WD I like to drive...

Because I also want to have space inside it (bad weather, video editing, ...) I'm thinking to buy a Adventure Camper like that

But.... is it possible to do some tracks like oodnadatta, birdsville, frenchline with her?

What do you recommend?

cheers
Heiner

yes, my english has to get better, sry.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Sunday, Sep 01, 2019 at 21:11

Sunday, Sep 01, 2019 at 21:11
Oodnadatta and Birdsville can be done in car.
AnswerID: 627517

Reply By: Member - Robert1660 - Sunday, Sep 01, 2019 at 23:16

Sunday, Sep 01, 2019 at 23:16
Hi Heiner
It all depends on where you want to go. Certainly the French Line would be almost impossible with such a vehicle as it is too low and with the state of the track you are more than likely going to bend the chasis. However, many dirt roads such as the Oodnatta and Birdsville tracks can be done with care. The issue is always going to be tyre suitability and whether you are prepared to adjust tyre pressure to suit. Of course this requires you need to carry a compressor. Other roads that could be done, again with care, would be the Gibb River Road, Tanami Road, The Great Central Road, The Cape Leveque Road and the PDR to Cape York. Anything that is generally unformed such as the roads across the Simpson Desert, the Anne Beadell Road, The Mitchell Plateau Road and the Canning Stock Route would not be suitable for this vehicle. The most appropriate vehicle would possibly be a Toyota Landcruiser with a camperbody. Extremely capable on the most challenging tracks.
Again much will depend on your skills not to over stress the vehicle. Remember also that mobile phone service in the Outback is sporadic so a satellite phone is very worthwhile. Enjoy your trip.
Robert
Landcruiser 200 VX Diesel + 19ft Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 627521

Follow Up By: Member - Heiner B (INT) - Monday, Sep 02, 2019 at 02:58

Monday, Sep 02, 2019 at 02:58
G'day Robert,
thx. for the detailed answer.
Yes, you're right, the best vehicle and one the I prefere is the Landcruiser Bush Camper, but its rare to buy in "good" conditions...

I dont want to use the car as it is...
I thought about installing:
a new suspension kit (50MM Extreme Kit),
bigger tubeless tyres,
a heavy duty winch (possible to install?)
and some things more to make it better prepared for the journey.

OR
I' ll find a Bushcamper ...

Heiner
FollowupID: 901555

Follow Up By: Candace S. - Monday, Sep 02, 2019 at 21:32

Monday, Sep 02, 2019 at 21:32
I'm currently hiring a Troopy (Land Cruiser) based campervan.

Apollo Trailfinder

It had 146K km's on it when I picked it up. And was quite battered.

I came to realize that several accessory items were broken or inoperative. A few things have broken along the way. And I'm currently in Coober Pedy, waiting to have a front hub seal replaced. :(

So you are probably right, it may be difficult to find a used one at a good price that is in good shape. Especially if it was a hire vehicle. :)

P.S. My two previous visits to Oz, I hired from Britz. In both cases, the vehicle was practically new and I had no problems worth mentioning with either one.
FollowupID: 901576

Reply By: Member - shane r1 - Monday, Sep 02, 2019 at 07:27

Monday, Sep 02, 2019 at 07:27
The hilux or similar in 4 wheel drive , I’m sure would do the hard tracks as well.
The photo, i presume is 2 wheel drive?
Cheers
AnswerID: 627523

Follow Up By: Ron N - Monday, Sep 02, 2019 at 23:38

Monday, Sep 02, 2019 at 23:38
Shane, it's definitely a 2WD, it has 5 stud wheels. The 4WD has 6 stud wheels.
It appears that it's been fitted with non-standard oversize wheels and tyres.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 901588

Follow Up By: Candace S. - Tuesday, Sep 03, 2019 at 08:00

Tuesday, Sep 03, 2019 at 08:00
"... it's definitely a 2WD, it has 5 stud wheels. The 4WD has 6 stud wheels."

I'm curious, does that rule only apply to certain vehicles? Because the Troopy-based hire vehicle I'm driving has 5 studs on the wheels. And it's definitely 4WD.
FollowupID: 901592

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Tuesday, Sep 03, 2019 at 10:52

Tuesday, Sep 03, 2019 at 10:52
Candace , 5 stud / 6 stud depends on year of build on a 'Troopy' ...... Ron Has forgotten or simply 'ass'umes that 5 stud means 2wd ... Jeep / Landrover Etc Etc all have 5 stud ... the main reason Tojo when to 6 stud in the first place was that it was actually cheaper to use 8mm studs X 6 than 5 x 10mm studs ......come on Ron , tell me I'm wrong ......
FollowupID: 901609

Follow Up By: OzzieCruiser - Tuesday, Sep 03, 2019 at 11:38

Tuesday, Sep 03, 2019 at 11:38
Some Landrovers have 6 stud as well.
FollowupID: 901614

Follow Up By: Ron N - Tuesday, Sep 03, 2019 at 12:03

Tuesday, Sep 03, 2019 at 12:03
I was referring specifically to Hilux construction, when I stated 2WD is 5 stud and 4WD is 6 stud. The bloke posted a photo of a Hilux.

FollowupID: 901616

Reply By: Nifty1 - Monday, Sep 02, 2019 at 09:05

Monday, Sep 02, 2019 at 09:05
It’s actually a pretty capable vehicle (we have an ex-hire one) and although we haven’t attempted a desert crossing and don’t plan to we found that the Plenty Hwy, Palm Valley, Boggy Hole Track etc are well within its capabilities. We bottomed out on some rocky crossings but have since added a moderate lift and a long range tank. You are likely to be close to your GVM so don’t plan on adding too much in the way of heavy extras like winches. I don’t think that chassis bending is likely as it’s single cab with good weight distribution, unlike the dual cabs. It is extraordinarily quick to set up and pack away and you will be hard pressed to find a better travel option around the $30,000 mark.
AnswerID: 627524

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Monday, Sep 02, 2019 at 09:56

Monday, Sep 02, 2019 at 09:56
The pic 'looks' like its the 2wd version of the supposedly unbreakable 'hilux' ?? If its the 4x4 a 1/2 decent quality lift + a slight tire size increase with good A/Ts , and being very very WARY of weight and you can go any where , yes even the French line BUT you need to 'pick' your timing , not the 1st of the 'season' and not the 'last' as by now [Sept] the tracks are very very cut up ... the most important aspect is to 'have fun' and enjoy the trip ....our indigenous brothers still drive all the other track/ roads you mentioned in 2wd holden DunnyDoors ...
AnswerID: 627525

Reply By: Member - Heiner B (INT) - Monday, Sep 02, 2019 at 21:59

Monday, Sep 02, 2019 at 21:59
I've given uo this idea...
Why?
As the other members has already written it and:

Only small 75 ltr. Diesel tank.
Installing winch only with problems (new front / bullbar ?!)
No 2 Sparetyres ..
Clearance.

The car is probably not suitable for my trip.

Thx. for your comments !!!

Heiner
AnswerID: 627541

Sponsored Links