Hema Navigator

Was thinking of trading in my Hema HN7 for the HX1 but have found that my way points and track logs would not be transferred across. Also the only maps that can be used on the HX1 are Hema. I have found that Hema maps lack quite a bit of detail so not too keen on being limited to them.
What are the most suitable maps for remote outback touring? Many people have advised that OZExplorer are very good, also the latest EO Topo is supposed to be quite good.
I'm tempted to keep my HN7 and purchase other map sets to upload and would like to hear from members who have experience in this area.
Thanks in advance.
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Core420 - Friday, Nov 01, 2019 at 13:29

Friday, Nov 01, 2019 at 13:29
I have both the Hema and ExplorOz Traveller app. I use ExploreOz 90% of the time because it gives me a lot more detail, particularly when online. I occasionally use Hema for verification. I don't use it as my main map.
AnswerID: 628476

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Nov 01, 2019 at 13:55

Friday, Nov 01, 2019 at 13:55
I use a HEMA HN7.

"OZExplorer are very good, .."
OziExplorer is mapping software, as used in the HEMA products (and others). There are no OziExplorer maps as such.

"Also the only maps that can be used on the HX1 are Hema....."
I don't think so?
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 628477

Follow Up By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Friday, Nov 01, 2019 at 19:53

Friday, Nov 01, 2019 at 19:53
Peter,
Hema have confirmed that the HX1 will only have their maps and that you cannot load others.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 902862

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Nov 01, 2019 at 23:55

Friday, Nov 01, 2019 at 23:55
Then I would not buy one.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 902876

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Nov 01, 2019 at 14:05

Friday, Nov 01, 2019 at 14:05
If you wish to keep your HN7 then you can get the latest EOTopo 2019 maps from us - you simply purchase the RASTER version - HERE IS THE LINK. The best part is, you only need this 1 mapping licence from us and you can then get our EOTopo maps on any other device you choose/even multiple devices of different types. So this gives you the most flexibility for the future. ie. you can buy now and use on your HN7 and if you decided to go with OziExplorer or even our app ExplorOz Traveller in the future you don't need to buy our maps again but can install the map to those devices/in those programs for no more $.

For more information about comparison of mapping software see our article Comparison of Offline 4WD Maps & Software
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 628478

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Nov 01, 2019 at 17:19

Friday, Nov 01, 2019 at 17:19
Hi DingoBlue

I have both and they are both very different.........do not ever get rid of your HN7.

First of all, you are basicly using OziExplorer on the HN7 for your off-road map usage, so what ever maps you use on PC running OziExplorer, you can run the same maps on the HN7. OziExplorer, is not a map system, but only a program that reads the data on the maps you have entered into the system.

Yes you are basicly locked into Hema’s maps on the HX1. The HX1 does have some great features, but there are still a few things that I do on the HN7 that I can not do on the HX1.

As for remote area travel, where are you talking? Both Hema units have the standard maps, plus the good Great Desert Tracks series, which are also very good for the selected remote areas...there are 6 in that series, plus the countless other areas around Australia, from the Simpson Desert, Cape York, Flinders Ranges, the Kimberley and the list goes on.

I do run the latest EOTOPO on my HN7, but my only bug bear with that is the over large places of interest, camping spots etc icons that are overload on the map, which when travelling, are basically useless, as if you have not planned your trip beforehand, you will have no idea at all what the icons on the map refer to. An example of this will be the camera icon, yes it is a point of interest, but if you have not done your homework, it could be an old house ruins, mountain lookout, something of historical value and you will not know it stands for or is, so to me, these icons ruin the map.

So at the end of the day, keep the HN7 and either use the full maps that are already loaded, or get more detailed Topo maps for the areas that you intend to travel, that are usually offered for sale from the various state Government department and some state forestry department.

The more maps that you load, the only upgrade for the HN7 is a larger micro SD card, for which I use a 32gb card. To do this, all you have to do is remove the standard card, which from memory is only 8gb, copy the data from the small card, and then transfer the copied data to your new card, plus what ever new maps you want to use.

These are my views only, but hope this may help you out.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 628480

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Nov 01, 2019 at 17:51

Friday, Nov 01, 2019 at 17:51
"So at the end of the day, keep the HN7 and either use the full maps that are already loaded, or get more detailed Topo maps for the areas that you intend to travel, that are usually offered for sale from the various state Government department and some state forestry department."

Years ago, I purchased 1:50,000 Kimberley. More recently I had them stitched together as a mosaic.
The whole of Oz at 1:250,000 is commonly available and included with the HEMA packages as a mosaic.
I also acquired 1:100,000 for southern SA many years ago.
Recently I found the whole of Victoria available free at 1:50,000 and 1:25,000 and had them stitched together as mosaics. They are larger files.
All of the above are on my HN7 and on my laptop.
Keep your eyes out and many are available free. In any case, all previously published Toppos will be free to download soon.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 902854

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Nov 01, 2019 at 18:17

Friday, Nov 01, 2019 at 18:17
Hi Peter,

Do you know where the free topo’s are downloadable from?

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 902855

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Nov 01, 2019 at 18:27

Friday, Nov 01, 2019 at 18:27
Not sure, but assumed that they will be available from Geoscience Australia.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-03/geoscience-australia-stop-printing-and-selling-topographic-maps/11566698
The 1:25,000 and 1:50,000 Victoria came from http://www.getlost.com.au/ Please make a donation, they are awesome maps.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

FollowupID: 902857

Follow Up By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Friday, Nov 01, 2019 at 20:06

Friday, Nov 01, 2019 at 20:06
Thanks Stephen,
Generally I've found the Hema maps to be quite satisfactory however, of late, I've found quite a few tracks are not shown, whereas they do show on other maps. (mainly doing recce's for the Toyota Landcruiser Club well off the beaten tracks)
I'll upgrade the SD card as you suggest and keep the HN7 (might have to replace the battery). Hema want $199.00 to "service" which includes a battery change. Can purchase off the internet for around $20-$30.00.
My EO topo is well out of date so will probably purchase the latest version and will bear in mind your comments.
Thanks again for your input, valuable as always.
Ralph

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 902863

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Friday, Nov 01, 2019 at 21:39

Friday, Nov 01, 2019 at 21:39
Hi Stephen,

There are very good free maps of Victoria at http://www.getlost.com.au/downloads/the-map-table/

Cheers,

Chris
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 902871

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Friday, Nov 01, 2019 at 22:53

Friday, Nov 01, 2019 at 22:53
You can also breathe new life into the HN7 by replacing the battery. I believe it should be the same as the HN6.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 628488

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Saturday, Nov 02, 2019 at 06:48

Saturday, Nov 02, 2019 at 06:48
BIL has a HX1 and rues the day he sold his HN7 to get it. The HX1 doesn't like getting hot so sitting up on the dash in the sun it quickly shuts down in hot weather, a bit silly for device that needs a view of the sky to pick up GPS satellite info to enable it to work!
I sent my HN7 back to Hema and for $99 they replaced the battery, the power socket, the front screen membrane, updated the software and it fixed the occasional shutdown caused by low battery as the power socket had become worn and had a loose connection. For an additional fee they will upgrade the maps to the latest version.
I never use the turn by turn as most phones do a much better job.
I too found the POI's on the EOtopo maps to be a PITA so have stuck to the Hema ones for now.
AnswerID: 628490

Follow Up By: Member - nickb "boab" - Saturday, Nov 02, 2019 at 07:23

Saturday, Nov 02, 2019 at 07:23
An update on your hx1 should rectify the shut down when it gets hot it certainly fixed my hx1 from this problem.
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 902881

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Saturday, Nov 02, 2019 at 07:27

Saturday, Nov 02, 2019 at 07:27
It's apparently been back to Hema and it still does it but not as bad.
FollowupID: 902882

Sponsored Links