Need information for removing the transfer case from 1hz105 manual

Submitted: Friday, Nov 01, 2019 at 23:23
ThreadID: 139268 Views:8556 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
I am trying to replace the clutch on my 105 series Landcruiser and as its bit heavy, I decided to remove the transfer case!
Ended up removing the wrong bolts and tried separating to take the whole transfer assembly with the shifter assembly, it only separated around one-inch distance and then stopped separating!
Just want to know did I removed the right bolts or should I remove the more towards the rear!
Also, can I just clean and seal the currently separated part or I need to strip it to make sure nothing is been damaged as I used a pry bar to separate them!
Any information will be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Saturday, Nov 02, 2019 at 06:57

Saturday, Nov 02, 2019 at 06:57
While I've not pulled one of that model apart they would be similar to the earlier models.
I think you will now have to separate them to ensure seals and gaskets between the two are intact and can seal when assembled.
On the earlier and 75 series you had to remove the rear cover on the transfer and undo the nut on the end of the main input shaft from the gear box, then remove the gears and stuff on that shaft and then there are a couple of bolts between the transfer into the gearbox to undo and then they will separate ok. As they say reassembly is the reversal of the process with attention to wear on components like thrust races, bearings and seals. also check the main input shaft splines for wear.
Best to find a workshop manual to make sure or someone else might post.
AnswerID: 628491

Reply By: RMD - Saturday, Nov 02, 2019 at 08:25

Saturday, Nov 02, 2019 at 08:25
Mathew
As Peter has mentioned above, just undoing bolts will not solve the issue at all. Familiarizing yourself with how it is internally constructed/assembled would have been a good idea before starting the job. The top gearing does have to be removed after shaft nut removal etc, because the gear arrangement will not go through the front opening no matter how hard you try. You may have to temporarily rebolt it so the shaft nut mentioned can be removed. Then take out the necessary bits and THEN remove the transfer case.
AnswerID: 628492

Reply By: Hoyks - Saturday, Nov 02, 2019 at 22:32

Saturday, Nov 02, 2019 at 22:32
The last gear box I pulled apart was out of a Courier. You'd take all the bolts out, but there was also a roll pin on one of the selector shafts that had to come out.
To get to that there was a cover plate that had to come off to access the roll pin.

From how you describe the coming apart 1/2" and locking, it was exactly what mine was doing. How to access it, I have no idea.

It would be a good idea to take it apart and inspect the seals though.
On the old 40 series models, they had a habit of leaking the gear box oil into the transfer case (or the other way around) through a dodgy oil seal that could leave one side way over full and the other running dry.
I have seen some cobbled together fluid leveling devices plumbed in to the filler plugs so you didn't have to split the cases and replace the seal as the two would equalise, but not having the issue in the first place is probably the better option.
AnswerID: 628499

Sponsored Links