Fitting a Digital Controller to a Waeco CF50 with Danfos 35F Compresso

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 05, 2020 at 16:32
ThreadID: 139511 Views:12669 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have a Waeco CF50 portable fridge with a Danfos BD35F motor and the thermistat is not working. I want to replace it with an external aftermarket Digital Temperature controller.

Similar to : https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DC-12V-10A- ... 2749.l2649

While I normally do all of my repairs, I am having some difficulty with the wireing of the controller to the fridge wireing. I have watched heaps of Youtube videos and while they are informative there are none exactly the same as my fridge. My main problem is I want my 12 V DC and 240V AC and fan to all work after my conversion and I can't find exactly what I am looking for. Any assist with direct information or a good video of the same model would be appreciated.

My other solution is to just replace the thermistor, but I already have the external controller and it may be that the problem is not in the thermistor but in the other circuit board area. Brian Dj
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - peter_mcc - Sunday, Jan 05, 2020 at 19:45

Sunday, Jan 05, 2020 at 19:45
The eBay link didn't work.

The instructions for your compressor are here:
http://files.danfoss.com/TechnicalInfo/Dila/06/bd_compressors_04-2007_pk100c802.pdf

You probably want the bit at the top of page 8 - thermostat connection. I'm guessing the digital one will have a set of relay contacts that it opens/closes.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 629355

Reply By: greybeard - Sunday, Jan 05, 2020 at 19:46

Sunday, Jan 05, 2020 at 19:46
Quick check, just temporarily wire in a replacement thermistor and instead of fitting it properly just hang it inside the lid.

replace thermistor

fridge fault finding
AnswerID: 629356

Reply By: arofs1 - Monday, Jan 06, 2020 at 15:40

Monday, Jan 06, 2020 at 15:40
Thanks Peter & Greybeard, appreciate you comments. I have also obtained other information from other sources and am happy to now do my repair that I have the information I needed. Brian DJ.
AnswerID: 629374

Reply By: arofs1 - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2020 at 11:03

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2020 at 11:03
Just an update on my Waeco CF50 thermostat problem. While I had already bought the new digital temperature controller to install, I also read some threads that mentioned fitting a new thermistor and thought for less than $2 it was worth a try first, because that would leave everything original in the rest of the fridge providing that was the only problem.

Anyway after looking at several youtube videos of replacing the thermistor in a CF50, I cut a hole in the bottom of the fridge casing where all the videos said the thermistor would be, but it was not there and I thought perhaps it was just in a nearby place, so I cut a much larger hole and it was still not there, so obviously not all CF50's are the same.

Removing the whole bottom casing would have been nice and would have exposed the true location of the faulty thermistor, but after watching the videos and the difficulty of the casing being stuck to the insulation etc, I decided to reroute the thermistor wiring up through the dairy section to the fridge compartment and everything now works fine again and while it is not exactly as I had planned, it still works fine and a bit of bog and paint on the bottom worker wonders also for the casing appearance.
Brian DJ

I am not sure if the photo worked so hopefully this web address might assist.:https://s1359.photobucket.com/user/bacdj/media/Waeco%20Thermistor%201_zpsbjxgib3l.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

AnswerID: 629611

Reply By: arofs1 - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2020 at 11:07

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2020 at 11:07
AnswerID: 629612

Sponsored Links