Best ute for slide on camper

Hi . I want to get a single cab ute later than 2008 automatic diesel with centre seat of some sort or bench seat so can fit 3. Depending on what slide on I get it could be tray back or tub. Something well balanced with strong chassis and maybe rear wheels further back to take the load of the camper better. Love to hear recommendations please
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Vince M (NSW) - Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 08:16

Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 08:16
Pending on what you want to do consider a 6x4 or a small truck I have had both my Isuzu nps 300 with large slide on suits me the best & no weight or chassis problems & it’s seen a lot of tracks eg cape York(Tele track including gun shot), CSR, Simpson & much more but be warned the bigger & heavier the bigger problem when you bog it & you need to be able to get it out yourself . Make sure the slide on can take it off road/corrigations as most can not
AnswerID: 631519

Follow Up By: Ang V - Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 15:58

Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 15:58
Hi
A 6x4 got to cost a lot in fuel and maintenance compared to a 4x4 doesn't it? I plan to stick to bitumen roads as I dont want to be in isolated areas as a woman on her own.
Ta
Ang
FollowupID: 907685

Follow Up By: Member - Vince M (NSW) - Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 18:36

Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 18:36
6x4 will not add much cost,rear tyres will wear about 60% less than the others, brakes will last longer as it has 6 brakes pulling it up & not 4 working hard , rear bearings I only changed every 200,000klms) it will be more stable) fuel cost? I offen got better than others & sometimes a little more ltrs (not that noticeable)
But make sure you buy a good conversion as a lot are crap & the 60/40 load share is the best way to go
FollowupID: 907701

Reply By: Mick O - Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 13:20

Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 13:20
Ang, while I'm one to recommend you carefully consider the amount of weight you'll be putting on your vehicle in the first place, there are reputable engineering firms that have off-the-shelf strengthening solutions for most makes and models of 4x4.

Here is a link to the Triton one for example;Superior Chassis strengthening kit

At $190 (plus the welding) it is an economical way of providing some extra security. The disclaimer from me is that these things should always be fitted by a reputable engineering firm who understand the application of welding and heat to your vehicles chassis.

Cheers

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 631524

Follow Up By: Ang V - Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 19:20

Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 19:20
Thanks for that mick. Very helpful. A lot of people seem to like the izusu d max. I'm thinking of a sx series. Still doing my research on other vehicles though. I can only afford 25000 total for slide on and ute so limits my choices
Ta
Ang
FollowupID: 907668

Follow Up By: Ang V - Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 16:01

Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 16:01
Hi again mick
I've been reading some of your posts and you seem to know a lot about the structural engineer part of things with cars and slide ons (your profession?). I wanted to get your take on my summary of slide on considerations if that's ok.
I dont want to be in caravan parks and want to camp as much in national parks and anything else but a caravan park as possible. I also just want to be able to park anywhere and jump in the back. I dont want to be setting up a caravan. The slide on seemed a great idea as when I return home for any length of time I can use the ute. It's either this or a converted transit van and i think those would be more likely to bog and less access to places. I like the idea that I have a 4x4 that can access more places. I dont plan to drop off my camper in many situations. A motorhome is great but out of my price range and again access to Bush parks might be tricky. I want to street park sometimes too. Cant do that in a caravan. I plan to mostly live in what I'm buying. I am figuring if I buy a low weight, good weight distribution layout slide on and put it on a high gvm reputable vehicle and get a chassis strengthening kit then that might be the best I can do with a slide on. Do you agree?
FollowupID: 907686

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 16:51

Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 16:51
Hi Ang,

I noted in your response above that you are looking at camping in National Parks. Most NP's require you to have a grey water tank fitted. Something you need to consider. Also, there is very little "set up" with a caravan. Just the stabilising legs really, and if you use a battery drill to wind them up & down, there is very little effort involved.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 907693

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 21:33

Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 21:33
G'day Ang,
I have the 2017 single cab chassis Dmax with slideon on the back & GVM upgrade.
Dry weight of camper was 540 kg.
Be very careful because the max weight stated on the GVM compliance plate can easily be exceeded. Once you start adding tray weight (cab chassis), passengers, spring mattress, bullbar, towbar, winch, full water tanks, full fuel tanks, twin batteries, gas bottles, extra spare wheel, tools, fridge, food clothes etc you will be amazed how it adds up.
I had ours trip ready & decided to drive onto a weighbridge & was only 40kg off maximum capacity!
Without the GVM ugrade I would have been over the weight limit.
The initial reaction is "only 540kg slideon for a 1000kg capacity ute is barely over half capacity".
Trust me it adds up fast.

Cheers
Stu
AnswerID: 631542

Follow Up By: Ang V - Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 15:39

Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 15:39
The specs on these say gvm of 2950. Course it will be below this realistically but surely it wouldn't be as low as 1 tonne?
FollowupID: 907683

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 17:23

Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 17:23
Hi Ang,
2950kg is the standard GVM & with my upgrade is now 3220kg.
Its classed as a 1 ton ute but that is misleading.
GVM is Gross Vehicle Mass. That means the TOTAL weight on the road including EVERYTHING, vehicle included.
So if I drive my vehicle into a weighbridge before a trip full of fuel, water, passengers & complete slideon it weighs 3180kg only 40kg under the legal GVM but OVER the standard GVM before upgrade.
Hardly anyone bothers to weigh their vehicle "trip ready" so I reckon many are driving around overweight which apart from overstressing the vehicle is illegal.
I was just trying to alert you that if you are unaware that every little item you add can put you over. I see you will travel alone so that gives you more you can carry but if you are close to the limit a passenger or extra can of fuel can put you over the GVM.
Cheers
Stu.
FollowupID: 907695

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 17:45

Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 17:45
Just to explain further. A 1 ton ute capacity starts with 10 litres of fuel in the tank.
Fill the tank then take that off the 1 ton.
Put on a towbar. That gets deducted. Add Bullbar that comes off too. Put a tray on that is more subtraction. Add passengers is another deduction.
So a 1 ton ute really can have nowhere near 1 ton on the back!
GVM is probably the realistic number to look at.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Stu
FollowupID: 907696

Follow Up By: Ang V - Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 18:27

Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 18:27
Thanks stu. That makes more sense to me with the gvm breakdown. Ta. Yeh I'll be considering all those things. Ta
FollowupID: 907699

Follow Up By: Gbc.. - Friday, May 15, 2020 at 09:27

Friday, May 15, 2020 at 09:27
Actually most commercials are kerb weighted with a full tank of fuel.Ranger definitely is. The ‘wagons v utes’ brigade hasn’t picked up on that bit yet.
FollowupID: 907715

Reply By: axle - Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 10:45

Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 10:45
Hi Ang V.

The Landrover 130 trayback is a good unit for a slide on, The right wheel base , good chassis strength, the spring towers are built right , you will only get negative feed back from around here in regard to them,
Jump onto Aulro landrover site and get the right answers if interested.

Cheers Axle.

AnswerID: 631548

Follow Up By: Ang V - Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 15:40

Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 15:40
Why is there negative feedback on them?
FollowupID: 907684

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 16:49

Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 16:49
Because on here if it ain't a Toyota -Nissan or any of the other Japanese vehicles that dominate the market it all rubbish ....so they say...
FollowupID: 907692

Follow Up By: axle - Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 16:56

Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 16:56
Ain't that the truth!!.

Axle.
FollowupID: 907694

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 15:57

Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 15:57
Hi Ang,

Have you thought about an "Extra Cab" or "King Cab" instead of a single cab? They allow you to sit small people/children in the back, without compromising the front bucket seats. They also give you a longer tray so that you can position heavier items in front of or certainly above the rear axle. Less likely to bend the chassis if the heavy weight is in front of the rear axle.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 631558

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 16:31

Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 16:31
My SIL has one of these ( Active Camper) on the back of her Mazda. She travels alone and finds the camper very easy and comfortable.
https://activecampers.com.au/

The Mazda had the rear springs beefed up, but apart from that all standard. Went to WA with her , plenty of gravel roads, bit of 4WD work, and all went very well. She just pulled up and was ready to have drinks while I was still trying to find the best spot for the camper !!

Works well for her.

ps I just re-read your request and I realise that the Mazda doesn't have a centre front seat ..... sorry !!

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 631562

Sponsored Links