problems with 2002 toyota 78 series transmission 92000 kilometers

Submitted: Friday, May 15, 2020 at 10:13
ThreadID: 140018 Views:8473 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
good day everyone, i have a problem with a 2002 78 series r151f cruiser trans. when i start out in 1st gear i hear a clunk or small noise in the drivetrain 50% of the time. i am well aware that this is a trans with a 2 piece shaft that has been upgraded in 2004 with a one piece shaft. my question is "is this the noise that you hear when the 2 piece shaft is going bad?" when i purchased the troopy years ago i kept hearing about this problem and purchased the shaft, original toyota. if this shaft needs to be replaced what other parts will be needed, gaskets , seals etc? years ago reading some mechanics suggested that this shaft can be replace without dropping the trans and only the transfer case. any ideas or suggestions to get the job done. the cruiser is in south america not in australia and mechanics do not have experience in this vehicle as there are very few here. any help will be appreciated. thank you
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Friday, May 15, 2020 at 12:17

Friday, May 15, 2020 at 12:17
Robert, not at all familiar with Toyota's, but http://www.lcool.org/forum/ should be able to help you out, good luck.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 631589

Reply By: Phil G - Friday, May 15, 2020 at 13:56

Friday, May 15, 2020 at 13:56
The issues with the R151F box get discussed a lot on the "Troopcarriers of Australia" Facebook Group and there are a couple of experienced Landcruiser mechanics on that group.
AnswerID: 631592

Reply By: RMD - Friday, May 15, 2020 at 14:02

Friday, May 15, 2020 at 14:02
Robert,
Usually a transmission fault will make it's noise everytime you begin.
I would be first looking at the front spring hanger bushes and pins for looseness which jumps the whole spring forward slightly until it hits and stops, therefore taking up slack as torque is delivered to the driveline. Because some movement can happen in suspension the driveline WILL flick and appear as though it is loose. Sometimes on cruisers the spring wrap is close to the front hanger anyway and ANY bush degredation makes the spring wrap "kiss" the hanger and the it feels in the driveline.
Not always a driveline problem.
If it is a drive on the LHS of the road, most likely the LHS front bush/pin/spring. If drive on RHS of road then possibly the RHS is the culprit.
AnswerID: 631593

Reply By: Member - Len & Rhoda - Friday, May 15, 2020 at 20:26

Friday, May 15, 2020 at 20:26
Hi Rob. Have you checked the tailshaft universal joints, they make a "click" or "clunk" type of noise when they get worn. Just climb under and see if there is any play in them.
Good Luck
Len
AnswerID: 631599

Reply By: robert92152 - Friday, May 15, 2020 at 23:16

Friday, May 15, 2020 at 23:16
thank you all for help........ we have found from underneath that the noise is coming from the trans on forward movement 70% of the time. a person was under when the vehicle was moved forward and he could hear the area of the noise. is this the beginning signs of the faulty 2 piece shaft on the 2002 troopy? has anyone had this problem before replacing the shaft with the newer 1 piece shaft?
AnswerID: 631605

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 07:56

Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 07:56
Hi robert92152,

As someone else has suggested, have you looked at the Landcruiser Owners On Line (LCOOL) forum? There is a section for each Landcruiser variant. It is free to join, and there are some very knowledgeable people on the at forum. Just like this and any other forum, there will be a multitude of responses, some not always on the money, but if you own or drive a Landcruiser, it is well worth being a member.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 907730

Follow Up By: RMD - Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 08:27

Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 08:27
If it is looseness in a tailshaft why doesn't it do it all the time and not 70%? Have you tried to slightly drive backwards to make ANY driveline slack the opposite and then go forward? That should make the noise everytime. It will also cause a worn spring hanger bush/pin to be reversed also. That makes the tailshaft flick/ping with associated this.
FollowupID: 907731

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 09:03

Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 09:03
There was/is a problem with this transmission where, due to wear & tear, and maybe lack of maintenance, the gear set in the t'case would wear the main shaft spline and, in extreme cases, the gear set would spin on the main shaft. Don't recall if the symptom you mention was noticeable prior to a loss of mobility?

On pass. side of t'case, there is a plate maybe 70 x 150mm in size. Remove this and the rear of mainshaft should be visible. There will be a double gear set held by a large flanged nut. If this nut is at all loose, then there will be accelerated wear on the splines. To tighten the nut, remove the cone shaped tin cover at the rear of t'case.

If the double gear set has play on the spline, then a quick fix is to weld(using suitable low hydrogen rods) the 2 sections together, using the side opening for access. A longer fix would be to remove rear of t'case & weld 2 sections of gear set together.

As suggested by others there may other areas causing the slop in the drive train. Uni's, rear pinion gear, wear in rear diff, spline on rear tail shaft.

Good luck,
Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 631613

Reply By: robert92152 - Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 09:54

Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 09:54
thanks bob great info.... the noise is for sure coming from the gearbox and not other areas of the vehicle. we had someone stand below in a pit while we moved the vehicle forward and he verified the noise in the gearbox. my question is can this shaft be replaced by separating and dropping the transfer case without dropping the transmission? also i hope i have the correct one piece shaft to install. does anyone have the part number of the shaft needed and what other parts seals and gaskets that we will need to replace. thanks again for all the help.
AnswerID: 631619

Follow Up By: RMD - Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 12:08

Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 12:08
Shouldn't the noise you suspect of being in the tailshaft arrangement be coming from the tailshaft and NOT the gearbox? If it is coming from the gearbox then it isn't the tailshaft. Any driveline slack will echo from one source but may not be where you hear it from. There is always rotational slack to some degree so other faults can easily present at a point which echoes the take up sudden stop/ start of torque. The tail shaft is simply bolted between TC and diff. So, have you really found the source of the problem? I would want to be sure before gearbox work was involved. It may be the transfer of rotational torque is heard when gearbox parts suddenly are made to hit each other but problem not in there at all. Who was the someone in the pit? Are they a mechanically aware and capable someone able to diagnose the issue?
FollowupID: 907743

Sponsored Links