NSW VSCCS Notice 17 (GVM Upgrades) Withdrawn

Submitted: Friday, May 15, 2020 at 16:19
ThreadID: 140021 Views:7997 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Received this from Pat Callinane 4X4 today.

I dispute the contention that it was ever murky. It seemed crystal clear to me that it applied to ALL modified vehicles, not just those about to be modified AND that it meant the axles, housings and everything else to do with axle load had to be certified by the relevant manufacturer.

Whether or not it was intended is a different matter. Or perhaps, thankfully, lobbying by the after market industry had an effect.

Here's the April announcement of implementation in Unsealed 4X4
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: JR - Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 12:06

Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 12:06
After discussions with an engineer, it seems that most existing GVM would satisfy the clarification of having axles modified
Was indicated all unsprung weight formed the "axle assy" and uprated dampers and springs, as certified by engineer, suitably modified it to carry weight.
Don't need first stage manufacturer approval if this is the case
AnswerID: 631642

Reply By: Blown4by - Monday, May 18, 2020 at 14:32

Monday, May 18, 2020 at 14:32
Its about time regulation caught up with what has been happening in practice. The vehicle manufacturers specify the GVM, GCM & TBW from an engineering standpoint taking into account safety, warranty, handling, longevity, etc. Just changing springs, shockies, etc. does nothing to improve braking, steering, centre of gravity & how the vehicle reacts when evasive action has to be taken in an emergency. What qualifies an independent Engineer to know more than those that designed & manufactured the vehicle? The Unsealed 4x4 article states industry was not consulted. Why would they be? What outcome industry wants is obvious & driven by$$$'s. The correct course of action is to buy the correct vehicle for the applied load.

AnswerID: 631654

Reply By: Mark C9 - Thursday, May 21, 2020 at 09:12

Thursday, May 21, 2020 at 09:12
I was told by Lovells yesterday that the decision has been reversed. Im waiting for written confirmation
AnswerID: 631699

Sponsored Links