Wandering and wondering?

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 06, 2020 at 15:58
ThreadID: 140118 Views:7237 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
G'day Adventurers

Here in the 'Big State' we are relatively free to wander almost where ever we wish, yes there are still restrictions in the social sense, but out here beyond the pubs and clubs, out here where you can be deafened by the silence, you can sit on a ridge top and wonder about the incredible vastness and visual beauty of the Pilbara landscape, no crowds and virtually no people if you dare to leave the tar seal of the highway.

There are places that you could easily assume no modern human being has stepped foot on, no visible impact signs, nothing but you, I know this sounds romantic but it is absolutely true.

I've just recently returned home to the Pilbara after an officially sanctioned trip to the capital city, all during the Covid-19 crisis, with regional border check points in place at the time I need to have an 'official' pass to travel below the 26th parallel oddly though I could travel beyond the Tropic of Capricorn, through the Gascoyne and Murchison regions but was barred entry to the wheatbelt region and then on into the greater metro area, without my documents and Yes the Police and Military people were fair dinkum in their enforcement of the then standing rules.

The return trip was just as detailed ~ travel permit had to be official as my journey plan had me travelling homeward during the lock down period by eight hours, my guess is the Land Cruiser/caravan combination had us looking like an overly eager suburban citizen trying to beat the mad rush north, luckily the man in Cammo had a sense of humour and quipped 'all your papers are in order ~ you may proceed' in his very best 'Sargent Shultz' of Hogans Hero's accent. Yes it was funny enough at the time.

Anyway folks, back to the Pilbara, it's truely magnificent away from anywhere that's man made, not that everything man made is to be avoided, some of that stuff is acceptable in truth, but being out and about away from infrastructure even artificial light can be a genuinely nice place to be for your personal inner self.

The wife and I spent a great deal of time yesterday, out and about and then at the Hickman Crater, we were alone but truly together at the same time, we saw a large herd of Camel wander through a vast Spinifex covered plain, we watched the Moon rise over the craggy cliff line of the east Ophthalmia Range as the sun was setting behind us in the west, memorable indeed, nice being alive actually.

So folks, get off ya bums and get out and about some place, but should you have a desire to wander in the Pilbara, feel free to come and have a look soon.

Safe travels : Joe
Back Expand Un-Read 12 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Jun 06, 2020 at 16:22

Saturday, Jun 06, 2020 at 16:22
Thanks for that Joe.

I can't wait to get out where "no modern human being has stepped foot".
Hopefully last week of August.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 632006

Follow Up By: Joe Fury - Saturday, Jun 06, 2020 at 19:14

Saturday, Jun 06, 2020 at 19:14
G'day Allan

I know you will be amazed.

FollowupID: 908442

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Saturday, Jun 06, 2020 at 16:31

Saturday, Jun 06, 2020 at 16:31
Quote "the Pilbara, it's truely magnificent away from anywhere that's man made, not that everything man made is to be avoided, some of that stuff is acceptable in truth"

Joe you should have added or places that have been blown up. People should read River of Tears by Richard West about the rise of Rio Tinto, maybe they haven't changed much at all.

AnswerID: 632007

Follow Up By: Joe Fury - Saturday, Jun 06, 2020 at 19:11

Saturday, Jun 06, 2020 at 19:11
G'day 9900Eagle

I normally avoid replying to 'No Names' if they respond to anything I have published on any of the Forums I like to contribute to, but in your case I will respond ~ absolutely and truthfully, even though I've generated hate mail because my opinions on the resources sector here in the Pilbara and more so on the horror this insidious industry manages to achieve under the guise of being 'good corporate citizens'.

Admittedly they can and do get away with their bastardry because they are wholly aided and abetted by local, state and federal governments.

The most recent act of bastardry by Rio Tinto is in my view a crime against humanity, not just the local elderly indigenous folk who's ancient history was obliterated, but the world of anthropology, archeology, the inquisitive minds of the future.

Rio's main head on a stick made a public statement saying how sorry he was about the destruction and the hurt it may have caused, he was about as convincing as Clive Palmer was a good politician, and that he will look into it and find out how this happened, yes indeed he will, but don't hold your breath.

The Pilbara is immense, it is magnificent scenery wise, it's ancient geology and the ancient history of people of the land is genuinely under threat, what most people don't grasp it is also OUR nations heritage.

I could say more, but there is no point really, simply because everyone already knows the truth.

FollowupID: 908441

Reply By: Mick O - Saturday, Jun 06, 2020 at 21:22

Saturday, Jun 06, 2020 at 21:22
I'm sure you only posted this to torment me Joseph. So much for three months of fun planned in the west for 2020. Was hoping to get back and spend some time with Johnny as well.

Oh well, I'll just have to add a few extra weeks to 2021 and make it 5 months :-)

In the words of the old pythons, "You're a lucky, lucky bastard!"

Cheers mate and good to see you're getting out and about.

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 632010

Follow Up By: Mick O - Saturday, Jun 06, 2020 at 21:27

Saturday, Jun 06, 2020 at 21:27
P.S. I note it's still pretty dry out Telfer way. Nothing of real consequence since the fair pour in January.

Cheers
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 908446

Follow Up By: Joe Fury - Saturday, Jun 06, 2020 at 22:41

Saturday, Jun 06, 2020 at 22:41
G'day Big Fella

Mick, I know full well how lucky I am to be able to roam at will throughout most of the inland Pilbara, yes indeed I am a very 'lucky-lucky bastard' ~ I feel very privileged just quietly.

FollowupID: 908449

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Monday, Jun 08, 2020 at 07:27

Monday, Jun 08, 2020 at 07:27
The Pilbara, the east Pilbara in particular is one of Australia’s least known & least visited gems.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

AnswerID: 632027

Sponsored Links