Indash Navigation systems

I'm about to write an article on this subject to assist with the constant inquiries I take asking for advice about which devices will run the ExplorOz "EOTopo" maps.

Many people don't consider that just because a car is marketed with a built in navigation system with maps that these maps are any good for travelling Australia. Then there's the buyer who wants to buy an aftermarket one. So far I've come across 2 or 3 units that are great but sadly, the unsuspecting buyer is often getting caught out with a system that is limited to only use Car Play or Android Auto with no option to install the ExplorOz Traveller app, or install raster maps or to even allow screen mirroring. but perhaps you folk have come across some others?

If you have an incar nav system (either factory fitted or aftermarket) please tell me what make/model it is, how much you paid, where it was purchased from, whether you installed it or paid for an install and how much, and a link to the user manual so I can check it out thanks.

Pics for attention ;)

Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 4 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Thursday, Jun 11, 2020 at 18:20

Thursday, Jun 11, 2020 at 18:20
Hello Michelle.
Is that the same unit showing 115.5kmh in the Traveller App advert? Looks good with the large screen. It would be interesting to know what unit it is.
Thanks
AnswerID: 632098

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Jun 11, 2020 at 20:21

Thursday, Jun 11, 2020 at 20:21
Sure is! I'll do a good write up tomorrow.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 908547

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Jun 12, 2020 at 14:55

Friday, Jun 12, 2020 at 14:55
The unit you see pictured in all our adverts and these photos here is what David chose to put into our L200 last year. This is the Teyes SPRO10. We paid AU$300. David installed it himself in a day. You can't beat that price by the looks of it.Full T'eyes range here. As you'll see there are zillions of Teyes models to suit many different vehicles and lots of older model vehicles. However - if you're looking, make sure you notice there are 3 variations - the SPRO (the highest powered one with best CPU etc), the CC2 and the CC1. Ours is the SPRO for a 2009 model 200 series Landcruiser, so the exact one we bought must've been this
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 908560

Follow Up By: RMD - Friday, Jun 12, 2020 at 15:40

Friday, Jun 12, 2020 at 15:40
Thanks Michelle.
Lots of brands I haven't heard of in your info. A good help for when deciding to buy.
FollowupID: 908562

Reply By: Member - David P (WA) - Thursday, Jun 11, 2020 at 21:30

Thursday, Jun 11, 2020 at 21:30
Hi Michelle,

I have a DigOptions Car Navigation/Entertainment unit AVN11 which I fitted to my 2010 Subaru Forester several years ago. I bought it online from them and it cost $540 then and was an easy replacement as it came with a plug and play wiring loom which made it easy for me to fit. It did require the cable run for the reversing camera and tapping into the handbrake wiring to prevent movies being played whilst driving but the hardest bit was programing the steering wheel buttons!
One thing I made a point of looking for was a unit that you could easily select either Off-road or On-road navigation on. It runs OziExplorer CE and you do have to supply your own maps, but the EOTopo maps are great thanks. The newer units run Android so I would imagine they would run ExplorOz Traveller on them.
Other benefits are hands free Bluetooth phone, reversing camera, music on a SD card, maps on a separate SD card, DVD player, IPod and USB connections, which most cars have as standard now but were pretty cutting edge then.
AnswerID: 632100

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Jun 11, 2020 at 22:06

Thursday, Jun 11, 2020 at 22:06
Yes its one of the few i know of.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 908548

Reply By: John Baas - Thursday, Jun 11, 2020 at 22:04

Thursday, Jun 11, 2020 at 22:04
I purchased the Advanced ICE system for our 2019 LC 200 VX Advanced ICE for LC 200 Series.

Uses HEMA maps on the supplied 16GB SD card. I copied over the program off that card onto a 64GB card onto which I copied all my emaps. Price comes down by about $250 if the street mapping component is declined, which I did because the Toyota original head unit already had similar. Runs Ozi CE software.

Supplied by Car Stereo Shop on Bulwer St, Nth Perth.
AnswerID: 632101

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Jun 11, 2020 at 22:07

Thursday, Jun 11, 2020 at 22:07
Ozi CE... so supports EOTopo raster OZF4 files then??
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 908549

Follow Up By: John Baas - Thursday, Jun 11, 2020 at 23:14

Thursday, Jun 11, 2020 at 23:14
Yes, it does. In fact I've used 'Map Merge Utility for OziExplorer' to convert a number of bigggg ECW files to OZF3, 4.

I should have said the only prob with the software is that a/the map flicks around a bit when the unit is first fired up, but it settles down after a minute or so. I conjecture that this unstability may be because the card is holding about 60GB of maps. I would find out if that's really the reason if it is too much of a pain, but I've just got used to it; no biggy.
FollowupID: 908552

Reply By: Mick O - Thursday, Jun 11, 2020 at 22:48

Thursday, Jun 11, 2020 at 22:48
I to am running Dig-options system with an android base that runs Ozi andriod and will support EO Topo Maps. It suits the 79 series and was about $600 when installed four years ago. I also included the engine management system and a TPMS with it which have all been fantastic.

Purchased direct from Dig-options . Installed by Alex at Ovrdun Kustoms in Morwell (a legend that bloke). Currently around the $800 mark.

Very happy with it. - Dig-options link above will take you to the specific unit (or nearest to the pin these 4 years later).

Cheers

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 632104

Reply By: 116hynes - Friday, Jun 12, 2020 at 06:00

Friday, Jun 12, 2020 at 06:00
I have a Digoptions Android unit in my 79 series Landcruiser.

https://www.digoptions.com.au/gps-bluetooth-car-player-navigation-stereo-dvd-rad

I run OziExplorer with Hema and EoTopo (2019) maps. I have considered EoTraveller but as this unit runs Android 4.4 it is not possible. I installed the unit myself and paid $600. There are a number of design issues relating to this product, particularly in the Bluetooth area. Digoptions service backup leaves a lot to be desired & I could not recommend this product. I have read a lot of good reports on ATOTO Android units.

Kevin
AnswerID: 632107

Reply By: Gwadir - Friday, Jun 12, 2020 at 08:31

Friday, Jun 12, 2020 at 08:31
Hi Michelle, we spoke on Wednesday, I have the Polaris GPS. Just checked, have had it since May last year, running OziExplorer S/W and Hema Maps as we spoke about. have been very happy with the unit itself and being virtually and Android Tablet I can load up any Apps I want that are for Android. Like the abiity to be able to georeference standard topo maps for use on the system as well. We will be putting the ExplorOz Traveller App and the EOtopo maps onto the Polaris in the near future with a view to running both Apps in parallel which is another great feature of the Polaris, the ability to run two Apps at once in split screen mode, makes it very convenient. As I told you we are running the Polaris Universal Maxx, it comes preloaded with either Tom Tom street navigation using IGo maps or with OziExplorer and Hema maps for $795.00 or if you pay a little more you can have both which is what we did since we removed the proprietary in dash unit. You can connect up to three cameras to the unit, 2 reversing one for the car and one for a caravan and one dash cam. We also got the optional Carplay/Android USB Dongle as well.

Polaris are in Sydney but they do have agents Australia wide, we got ours at the Sydney Caravan & Camping Super Show last year (2019).

We had ours installed by our local auto electrician, took about a day and we used the Plug & Play harness available also through Polaris and the install cost $495.00

The user manual can be found here: https://polarisgps.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Universal-Luxx-User-Manual-2020_compressed-1.pdf

Thanks for such a great web site.
AnswerID: 632108

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Jun 12, 2020 at 15:26

Friday, Jun 12, 2020 at 15:26
So to summarize the options in regards to which devices are suitable for loading EOTopo maps app version (ie. using the ExplorOz Traveller app as the mapping interface).

The DigOptions unit being sold in Australia runs with the Android operating system but at $1000 is more than 3 times the price of what you need to spend. Does offer full access to the Playstore so you can install ExplorOz Traveller and EOTopo app version maps. The DigOptions website shows their current models are being sold with Android OS V9. Supports screen mirroring and Wifi hotspot from your Android or iOs device.

The Polaris Universal LUXX device can be bought in Australia and runs with the Android 8 OS but is also around $800 and 2-3 times the price of what you need to spend on a similar unit. Does offer full access to the Playstore so you can install ExplorOz Traveller and EOTopo app version maps and you also install EOTopo raster maps to use in OziExplorer. Supports screen mirroring and Wifi hotspot from your Android or iOs device.

The Advanced ICE system runs on the Windows CE operating system, not Android. CE reached its end of life 10 years ago and as such it cannot do much with new technology or apps which limits your mapping choices. No apps, so no ability to install ExplorOz Traveller but you can install EOTopo raster maps if you have the version with OziExplorer software installed. Why pay $800 for old technology.

The Teyes SPRO cost AU$300. Runs Android 8.1. Includes 4G antenna and support for data SIM. Playstore etc. Install ExplorOz Traveller and EOTopo app version maps. Can also install OziExplorer Android and use other maps including EOTopo raster. Not sold in Australia but can be purchased online and delivered to you door.

At the end of the day, if you want an unlocked Android headunit and want to pay less than $800 (cause remember you've also got to install it which can cost up to $500 unless you DIY) you can buy anything you want if you buy from China yourself directly - there's tons of choice. Before you all ask - no, we aren't interested in getting involved in electronic importing but if you want one, just buy it direct. If you buy using AlliExpress and PayPal you've got all the buyer protection you need.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 632114

Follow Up By: Gronk - Friday, Jun 12, 2020 at 21:41

Friday, Jun 12, 2020 at 21:41
And if you want to install something yourself, the 200 series is very easy. Not withstanding extra wiring for rear cameras etc, I got it down to less than 10minutes for a standard out and in for a plug and play head unit.
FollowupID: 908566

Reply By: OBJ - Monday, Jun 15, 2020 at 10:20

Monday, Jun 15, 2020 at 10:20
2017 '76 Series Landcruiser.
Kenwood DDX919WS
Installed $1459 incl Reversing Camera by ProSounds, Jesmond, Newcastle.
User Manual Link

Boasts 'wireless mirroring' but I have to connect it via USB. I thought 'wireless' meant 'no wires'.
No capability to get Internet access, so not able to download anything.

We just use my Samsung tablet for EOTopo now. Would not buy another Kenwood.

OBJ
AnswerID: 632159

Sponsored Links