Is a 3f 80 series any good for camping and 4x4ing

Submitted: Monday, Jul 27, 2020 at 23:30
ThreadID: 140293 Views:8485 Replies:6 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
I recently purchased an 80 with the 3f engine in it and was wondering, is it any good for 4x4ing and camping? No trailers I would just set it up for weekend camping trips. Any advice is appreciated Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Alan H11 - Tuesday, Jul 28, 2020 at 06:50

Tuesday, Jul 28, 2020 at 06:50
The Series 80 is one of the best 4x4 vehicles ever made. It's reliable, robust, and capable. We covered 45,000 Km/10 months camping in Africa in a Series 80.

The 3F engine has the advantage of being petrol/gasoline, and is well-regarded. In the F engine range, it benefited from the history of prior F engines, and is, as far as I know, the best version of the F.

I can't think of any reason why the specific engine would make much difference for camping, other than that a diesel is noisier in the mornings.

For "4x4ing" - if this means more challenging offroad tracks, then it's often claimed that a diesel is better than a petrol-gasoline engine however I don't think that this is true, except for a very small proportion of circumstances (slow uneven tracks, for example), and for dunes I think a petrol/gasoline engine is better. If it's "overlanding" then in my view petrol/gasoline is better than diesel. From the environmental point of view the world is moving away from diesel.
AnswerID: 632736

Follow Up By: Demp T - Tuesday, Jul 28, 2020 at 15:25

Tuesday, Jul 28, 2020 at 15:25
Is terms of it having the 3f engine, I was told that they are not so great for 4x4ing in like Frazier island and other 4x4 tracks due to being carborated . So I was a little unsure as to why and if it was true.! I'm only 16 and had some old fellas tell me about it now being so great. Thanks tho
FollowupID: 909603

Reply By: Phil G - Tuesday, Jul 28, 2020 at 09:29

Tuesday, Jul 28, 2020 at 09:29
Should be fine for weekend camping trips provided its been maintained.
Main problem with the 3F was the high fuel consumption which is why most of them have low kilometres. Yours is the standard model so will have a carby - need to find an old school mechanic who knows how to fix and tune them. Is it on LPG?
AnswerID: 632738

Follow Up By: Demp T - Tuesday, Jul 28, 2020 at 12:56

Tuesday, Jul 28, 2020 at 12:56
Yeah has lpg
FollowupID: 909601

Reply By: RMD - Tuesday, Jul 28, 2020 at 17:31

Tuesday, Jul 28, 2020 at 17:31
Demo
What is “carbonated”. Maybe let us know so we can see what you mean. Your 3F 80 is quite ok for the use you asked about and quite a capable vehicle. It will be a bit heavy on fuel and you mentioned , petrol and gasoline. Petrol IS gasoline, just a Yankee terms for petrol. If on gas , ie, propane, the gas we use in vehicles means yours is dual fuel. Probably good to have with affordable gas as it’s main fuel. Use it regularly on petrol, ie, at startup as many are made to start that way and change to gas operation a little while later. That keeps the petrol fuel system in working order. Some careful ignition timing will be needed to ensure suitable operation on both petrol and gas. They require different amounts of static ignition timing and can be modified to achieve that, otherwise it is a compromise. Sometimes the dual fuel system gives a bit of trouble and it may try and run on both fuels at the same time and run very rich. Needs fixing if that happens. If looking at ignition timing, make sure someone checks the timing marks on the front pulley ARE correct with the actual piston position for TDC. If not checked and timing is set it will be basically incorrect and this is often hidden from many mechanics who do not check for the issue. Most don’t ever think of it and the engine ends up being set with it’s timing set as retarded but regarded as being ok. A basic valve clearance adjustment is probably a good idea to ensure the valves are opening and closing as Toyota designed them to. Multiple discharge tip spark plugs are a good idea to there is more than one point for the spark to ensure propagation of flame of fuel air charge for power and economy reasons. Enjoy
AnswerID: 632743

Follow Up By: Demp T - Tuesday, Jul 28, 2020 at 18:00

Tuesday, Jul 28, 2020 at 18:00
RMD thanks for you help, also it Was supposed to be "Carborated" haha also another thing what are points, I was told that I needed to get them checked, which I'm wondering if they have something to do with the ignition system. Thanks
FollowupID: 909608

Follow Up By: RMD - Tuesday, Jul 28, 2020 at 19:47

Tuesday, Jul 28, 2020 at 19:47
Ah, "Carburetted" as in carburettor. I think may be the term in that case. The points are a mechanical high spped switch operated by a 6 lobe cam inside the distributor. It switches the ignition coil ON and OFF to make sparks. The points do require periodic maintenance. There are electronic distributors which eliminate the points and the ignition timing then remains set and not altering over time. Costs a bit though. The points you have need to be checked for proper gap to ensure good ignition spark.
FollowupID: 909611

Follow Up By: Demp T - Tuesday, Jul 28, 2020 at 21:16

Tuesday, Jul 28, 2020 at 21:16
I'm wanting to get the points checked out because it runs a little rough, but I'm unsure when the last service was so Im gonna do one my self replace filter and oils as well as spark plugs ect, thanks your Help.
FollowupID: 909614

Follow Up By: RMD - Tuesday, Jul 28, 2020 at 21:33

Tuesday, Jul 28, 2020 at 21:33
Rough running can easily be caused by uneven valve clearances as well as mixture it is running on. Valve clearances control the dynamic flow of Fuel/air into the cylinders and out as exhaust and so must be in proper sequence with other cylinders. Correcting Poor adjustment of valves is essential and mostly overlooked by mechanics. Spark plugs usually aren't the cause of rough running if it is detected at idle speed, because that is the time when the least cylinder pressure/ resistance to spark, is placed on the spark plugs. Missing under load/rough is possibly spark plugs or spark leads or distributor cap and or rotor inside. Everyone through folklore wants to change the spark plugs but usually they last a long time.
FollowupID: 909615

Follow Up By: Demp T - Tuesday, Jul 28, 2020 at 21:47

Tuesday, Jul 28, 2020 at 21:47
That's Rly helpful, Ill get someone to check all this stuff for me to diagnose the problem/s to fix them, it also doesn't accelerate and get up to speed, so that's where the spark plugs idea came from. Thank you
FollowupID: 909616

Follow Up By: Alan H11 - Wednesday, Jul 29, 2020 at 01:20

Wednesday, Jul 29, 2020 at 01:20
Good advice.

I used the combination "petrol/gasoline" in case anyone was viewing who would be used to using "gasoline" for petrol. There are a few travellers from the USA who are interested in travelling in Australia.
FollowupID: 909620

Reply By: Member - Rob S (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 28, 2020 at 18:37

Tuesday, Jul 28, 2020 at 18:37
Hi an 80 series even an old one is still probably one of the best 4x4 out there.
As they are getting on in life there is no shortage of secondhand accessories and parts on the market.
Only real down side of the 3f engine is the fuel consumption isn't the greatest,
and if you do deep water crossings you could have ignition problems, ie the engine will stop or run rough until the electrics are dried out, that's were diesel engines will shine.
If it is on LPG, make sure it runs well on petrol, as LPG can be unavailable in outback areas and country towns, or the LPG pump doesn't work or late delivery.
I only ever made one mistake
and that's when I thought I was wrong!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 632744

Follow Up By: Demp T - Tuesday, Jul 28, 2020 at 21:13

Tuesday, Jul 28, 2020 at 21:13
Thanks for you input mate, I want a mechanic to have a look at the lpg system because I thinks its got a Delivery problem. Thanks
FollowupID: 909613

Reply By: wooly0005 - Tuesday, Jul 28, 2020 at 20:47

Tuesday, Jul 28, 2020 at 20:47
80 series is a fantastic off roader, one of the best ever made.

Just service it and do your maintenance and it will serve you well, even though in its present form (3F) it will be heavy on fuel.

The car seems to be in good nick judging by the photo so would be an ideal candidate for an LS conversion.

Being a 91 model, you would need to upgrade the brakes etc but would all be a relatively straightforward conversion using parts from a wrecker or similar.

Once you experience a capable car like that with some serious horsepower, you will find it hard to wipe the smile off your face.
Wooly VKS-737 Mobile 0058

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 632746

Follow Up By: Demp T - Tuesday, Jul 28, 2020 at 21:10

Tuesday, Jul 28, 2020 at 21:10
It's in relatively good shape a few small rust patches, and trim missing but has been looked after pretty well, as a 16 year old, I am not yet legal to drive a V8 :( but as soon as Im of age I was thinking of doing an Ls swap. Thanks for you input mate.
FollowupID: 909612

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Wednesday, Jul 29, 2020 at 08:08

Wednesday, Jul 29, 2020 at 08:08
Hi Demp T,

I know I have posted this a few times, but have you checked out the Landcruiser Owners On Line (LCOOL) forum? There are various sections on it for all model Landcruisers. You may find some good advice, spare parts etc. on there.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 632748

Follow Up By: Demp T - Wednesday, Jul 29, 2020 at 08:17

Wednesday, Jul 29, 2020 at 08:17
Thanks mate I'll have a look into it!
FollowupID: 909621

Sponsored Links