Battery and fridge

Submitted: Monday, Nov 09, 2020 at 20:54
ThreadID: 140734 Views:8056 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
My Iveco van is my daily drive and it has a solar panel, dual house batteries and an Engel fridge, I use the fridge a bit and it generally has mixed beverages in it plus room for groceries from town to home. Is it better to run the fridge 24/7 or disconnect the fridge and only use it for trips? Does it hurt the batteries to have them charged and having power coming in and not having the power taken out of the batteries much at all?
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Athol W1 - Monday, Nov 09, 2020 at 21:11

Monday, Nov 09, 2020 at 21:11
Trevor.
As a general rule it is far better to keep anything mechanical running, and this is probably moreso with refrigeration.

As far as batteries their life depends on charge cycles and more importantly the depth of those charge cycles.

I have a 40 litre compressor fridge in the back of my ute and it is never switched off. When I am travelling it is used as a deep freezer, otherwise just to keep some drinking water cold and to place the cold shopping into.

I have not founf this to have any detrimental effect on battery life, and have operate in this manner for at least the past 15 years, the last 4 being with Lithium battery.

Regards
Athol
AnswerID: 634053

Reply By: Notso - Tuesday, Nov 10, 2020 at 08:44

Tuesday, Nov 10, 2020 at 08:44
Running your fridge 24/7 is fine and with 2 house batteries and a solar panel, provided the panel is of a good size such as 140 watt plus then this will keep your batteries pretty well fully charged. Lead Acid batteries, which I presume you have, last much longer if they are kept fully charged. So by the looks of it by all means leave the fridge on, and don't worry that you'll damage your batteries by keeping them fully charged.
AnswerID: 634056

Reply By: Fiona & Paul - Tuesday, Nov 10, 2020 at 08:45

Tuesday, Nov 10, 2020 at 08:45
My Evakool Tripmate 50ltr is 15yrs old and runs 24/7 in the back of my Triton Tradie from a 160W solar panel. Fridge has been running permanently for last 6-7 years without any issues using a Projecta DC/Solar charger. My permanent beer fridge at home and travelling.
Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 634057

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Nov 10, 2020 at 12:10

Tuesday, Nov 10, 2020 at 12:10
Hi Trevor,

Your solar controller only sends power into the batteries when they need it. If the battery is fully charged the controller just floats the battery and will not overcharge it. As the fridge takes power from the battery, the solar controller will replace it.

The fridge will not suffer from being run 24/7. Nor will it be harmed from being shut down for extended periods. So it's your choice.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 634059

Reply By: Member - Steve R (NSW) - Wednesday, Nov 11, 2020 at 12:56

Wednesday, Nov 11, 2020 at 12:56
I have had an Engel in my vehicle for the last 15 years and is if off more than on. Never any issues.
Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 634064

Sponsored Links