EO Topo V Hema V Others?

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 22, 2020 at 16:22
ThreadID: 140774 Views:11285 Replies:10 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
All I want to do is run a 10 inch Android tablet in the car with a program that displays decent offroad maps.

I keep reading that EO Topo requires ongoing payments to access offline maps etc etc.

What is the best bang for buck app with best user interface.. EO Topo or Hema? Any other reliable options I should consider?

Travel locations next year include Birdsville Track, Gibb River Rd, Kimberly, WA coastal roads etc, so I need s decent nav device on dirt roads.

Cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Nov 22, 2020 at 17:19

Sunday, Nov 22, 2020 at 17:19
Gene,

EOTopo is just a mapset. You need a navigator to load it into.

EOTopo works with Exploroz's own navigator, EO Traveller. It also can be loaded into other nav programs that use OziExplorer's map format.

When you buy EOTopo you buy a licence to use it in as many devices as you like. There are no recurring payments other than when an upgrade/update is issued every few years, then you have to pay for that.

I'm not familiar with Hema devices, but I am familiar with Traveller and OziExplorer used on Android tablets. I cannot make a call about which user interface is better, but overall I think Traveller is the better general, all purpose app. It will give you turn by turn instruction s if you need them - eg finding some place in an unfamiliar town or city. When in mobile service it displays highly detailed street maps which make street navigation easy. It's fabulous on a 10 inch tablet.

Its outback maps (EOTopo) are good for almost all circumstances and when used in association with Exploroz's database of nearly 100,000 POIs its easy to find your way around. If there's no POI near where you want to go you can drop a pin and the device will navigate to that.

It's well worth looking considering, IMO.

Exploroz Traveller
EOTopo

Edit:
Gene, sorry, I realise I have said most of this in your other thread

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 634207

Follow Up By: Norm F - Tuesday, Nov 24, 2020 at 10:30

Tuesday, Nov 24, 2020 at 10:30
Hello Frank, which is the "traveller app"? I had a look at the androidshop & there are so many! thanks, norm
"the only thing constant in my life is change"

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 911365

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Nov 24, 2020 at 11:24

Tuesday, Nov 24, 2020 at 11:24
Hi Norm,

In Google Playstore, search for Exploroz Traveller:

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 911366

Reply By: Member - Core420 - Sunday, Nov 22, 2020 at 19:05

Sunday, Nov 22, 2020 at 19:05
On my Samsung galaxy tab 8" tablet I run EOtraveller, Memory Map with all Hema maps installed and recently added Windy maps which includes walking and bike tracks. For city navigation I use Google maps. Also installed is Garmin Earthmate which is connected via Bluetooth to my Garmin Inreach satellite communicator. I use the latter to track my position.
AnswerID: 634208

Follow Up By: Gene V - Sunday, Nov 22, 2020 at 19:31

Sunday, Nov 22, 2020 at 19:31
Thanks mate. I take it all of those aside from Google Maps run offline? I want an Android based system but want everything offline for out bush.

In the city I'll just run Google Maps off my phone and car sat nav.
FollowupID: 911330

Follow Up By: Member - Core420 - Sunday, Nov 22, 2020 at 20:56

Sunday, Nov 22, 2020 at 20:56
Yes, they all have offline maps. At a pinch you could also download Google map sections for offline use, but that's too cumbersome for me. After some real life testing I do recommend Windy Maps. It's free and is probably the best one for offline use.
FollowupID: 911331

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Sunday, Nov 22, 2020 at 20:22

Sunday, Nov 22, 2020 at 20:22
There are free apps for street navigation in the cities. Free as well. I run one on my 10 inch samsung. Also run Hema , memory map and ozi explorer. Memory map is my favourite. Also run eo topo.
AnswerID: 634210

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Sunday, Nov 22, 2020 at 20:34

Sunday, Nov 22, 2020 at 20:34
G'day Gene V

The EO Topo maps are very good...... very clear and detailed. I have bought the Traveller app and the set of EOTopo maps and they work really well. Have only had to pay for an upgrade once ( I think) in several years.
I have an iPad and iPhone so I can't vouch for Android, but on the Apple gear it all works very well.
There are pretty clear pages on this website which detail your choices and costs.
Only extra costs are when a major upgrade happens.
I also have HEMA maps, but find that that EOTopo beats it almost every time.

Cheers
Jim
ps I'm sure Michelle will be along shortly to give you details
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 634211

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Nov 22, 2020 at 22:04

Sunday, Nov 22, 2020 at 22:04
I believe my Android experience with Traveller is just as good as Jim's on Apple devices, so nothing to choose between the two.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 911333

Reply By: 116hynes - Monday, Nov 23, 2020 at 07:19

Monday, Nov 23, 2020 at 07:19
I run Oziexplorer. on Android head unit. What I like about it is that you can load your own maps and customise the user interface. I have EoTopo, Hema & GetLost maps loaded onto it.

Kevin
AnswerID: 634215

Reply By: Member - wicket - Monday, Nov 23, 2020 at 09:23

Monday, Nov 23, 2020 at 09:23
If you don’t want to spend any cash but still have good detailed maps then grab a copy of Avenza Maps and use the aussie Getlost maps BUT be aware that they take lots of space and are slow to download.
AnswerID: 634216

Reply By: Member - rocco2010 - Monday, Nov 23, 2020 at 10:21

Monday, Nov 23, 2020 at 10:21
I’m a pretty happy user of the ExplorOz traveller app.

Maps are good, works on line and off and POI database is really useful.

After paying for the app and maps you have an annual ExplorOzmembership fee to use full range of tracking facility.

It’s I think $50 (though there may be a discount). A modest amount when put in the context of a trip to the Kimberley or some other far flung destination.

Good luck with your choice.

Edit:
App: $59.99
Offline Maps: $49.99
TOTAL: $109.98

Optional Live Tracking/12 month ExplorOz Membership Subscription: $29.95 with discount*
GRAND TOTAL: $139.93
AnswerID: 634217

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Monday, Nov 23, 2020 at 10:35

Monday, Nov 23, 2020 at 10:35
There is also a new Version 5 of EO Topo being Beta tested right now. Might be best to wait a little while for this version.

Cheers
Jim

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 634218

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Nov 23, 2020 at 16:28

Monday, Nov 23, 2020 at 16:28
No sorry Jim that is not correct. It is not the EOTopo maps being beta tested but the app - ExplorOz Traveller which is a free update. No change to maps. And all app users will get this update free via the app store app update process.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 911343

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Monday, Nov 23, 2020 at 16:59

Monday, Nov 23, 2020 at 16:59
Oooops , my mistake Michelle, sorry !! I did mean Traveller, not the maps.

Looking forward to the update.

Cheers
Jim

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 911344

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Nov 23, 2020 at 17:42

Monday, Nov 23, 2020 at 17:42
Sorry don't mean to be pedantic but just in case future readers get confused, I had to correct the statement. Was actually going to be released TODAY but found yet one more thing to tweak. This is the most tested version we've ever done!
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 911348

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Nov 23, 2020 at 14:38

Monday, Nov 23, 2020 at 14:38
Hi Gene,
As others have already said, to use the EOTopo maps offline on your device you will need the ExplorOz Traveller app and the offline EOTopo map licence.

ExplorOz Traveller is GPS Navigation software delivered in an app which you will need to purchase from the Google Playstore. The app needs a GPS (either inbuilt in your tablet or connected via external bluetooth) to deliver location services to the app to show where you are on the map when you are offline. The app can then show your moving position along the map offline.

A free offline map for the whole of Australia is actually also included however this has a limited scale with zoom to Level 10 only and is only provided for offline operation and is not intended for offline navigation. After purchase of the EOTopo map licence you can download the additional map tiles to enable the offline map zoom to increase from Level 10 to Level 12 showing 144K map detail at 100% resolution (plus we provide overzoom/enlargements on Levels 13-15 for convenience).

*App Cost $59.99 - one time payment for Traveller app (pay to Google Playstore).
App includes online maps - streets, topographic, satellite (view in app when you have a connection - Wifi or mobile data)
*Offline Map Licence (EOTopo) Cost $49.99 - one time payment
TOTAL: $109.98 one time payment.

All updates to the app are free via the Playstore. So, yes as someone else mentioned, we do have a major update imminent but this is a free update so has no bearing on when you purchase/install the app.

The only extra operational cost is if you want to use the Members Active Tracker service in the app (syncs position data from the device to your online account for backup and if desired, to allow other people such as family/friends, to view your active tracking whilst you are away). $29.95 for a 12 month Membership subscription.

Long term, if you want to purchase new maps (EOTopo) when they released you might do that too.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 634220

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Friday, Nov 27, 2020 at 10:58

Friday, Nov 27, 2020 at 10:58
My response is partly against the grain of the thread to date..... but only partly.

In explanation .... my 'default' navigator ' is a Hema HX1. ie. not on a tablet. In the limited space of our GU Patrol ute we simply don't have the space to permanently mount a tablet without a sense of 'overcrowding'.

It is hard to beat the convenience of glancing regularly at a GPS navigator which shows your position on a map as I drive through remote country & the HX1, fits the bill space-wise, incorporating a useable turn by turn navigator as well, making driving through unknown towns & cities so much easier than it used to be.

No room to mount a tablet (that I want to clutter up) &for the same reason no wish for a separate navigator for 'in town' use.

The HX1 comes at a premium price, & is promoted as state of the art. My view is that the products software design is a little clunky & non intuitive to be considered state of the art, but familiarity with it has made it an essential in our rig. Newer offerings from Garmin may supercede it. The hardware side needs some quality improvement, mainly in regard to it's charging cable/port design. This was improved when they changed to a right angled USB plug, but on a $600+ 'off road navigator' I shouldn't need to use a strip of masking tape to maintain the charging connection on corrugated dirt roads!

Not yet having used Exploroz Traveller as extensively as I've used the HX1 I think it's off road navigation software is better than the HX1 in most ways & if it came packaged in a dedicated 'navigator', together with a reasonable 'in town' navigator as on the HX1, it would make an HX1 replacement I'd buy.

As it is, it is useful to have both. There have been occasions where using both simultaneously has been very helpful . In circumstances where there are multiple tracks through an area, Hema tends to only show the 'main' route, whereas the EOTopo shows all the tracks. Sometimes it makes sense to follow what 'looks best' through the windscreen, as opposed to what the navigator shows. A recent example of doing this had us travelling across country where there was no track shown on the Hema. However we had the reassurance of being able to 'see ourselves' on a track on the Exploroz Traveller, & so knew where we were headed. Without the Exploroz Traveller we most liklely would have turned back.

We also have Hema's 4wd app on the ipad, same maps as the HX1. Never use it any more, but keep it as a 'back up'.

But having the tablet in my wife's hands, & needing to stop to look at it (as the driver) lacks the convenience of the windscreen mounted HX1.

See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

AnswerID: 634274

Sponsored Links