Travel Canberra to Devonport - Spirit of Tasmania

Submitted: Friday, May 21, 2021 at 23:30
ThreadID: 141806 Views:6634 Replies:10 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I am thinking of travelling down to Devonport for less than one day for business. I have time a plenty. Airfares are around $1400 return and most require a layover in Melbourne on the way back so would end up being a 2 day trip.

I can drive down to Melbourne (about $100 in fuel) catch the ferry ($350 return) and drive back from Melbourne (another $100) so about 3 days all up and about $550 in fares.

So how are the recliners on the ferry for the overnight trip and is there secure car parking available at the Melbourne end for my car? Yes I appreciate option of a cabin etc and I may consider that, on the return journey.

Never been on the ferry so interested on thoughts - Devonport is a difficult place to get to for a flying visit.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Alan H11 - Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 01:03

Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 01:03
The recliners look reasonably comfortable however we've booked cabins both ways and found it a good decision - despite the displacement, the ferry moves a lot.

I don't believe there's any parking at the ferry terminal itself but there are Ace Parking sites a few blocks away. At the risk of raising hackles, from my perspective the whole of Australia is "secure parking", at least compared with the rest of the world : )
AnswerID: 636503

Reply By: Kenell - Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 08:34

Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 08:34
Since you are going to be on the ferry why not take your car? It would be safer and possibly cheaper than parking it in Melbourne and obviously a lot more convenient when you get to Devonport. Pricing of cars is subsidised and at this time of year you shouldn't have too much trouble getting on. Oh - and pack a jumper although coming from Canberra you'll probably enjoy the warmer weather !!
AnswerID: 636505

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 09:00

Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 09:00
Don't worry too much about "recliners". Just spread yourself out on a long seat ....... plenty of them. Had to book a cabin once to get a ticket, and never went near it.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 636507

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 10:10

Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 10:10
Just went 2 months ago, and yes the regular lounge seating is very comfy.
We took the car, did a day trip over, 5 or 6 days there, and a night trip back with cabin.

I didn't even see the recliners as an option, they seemed to not show for me when looking at options.
Maybe covid was more of a concern mid march, they were hot on it masks on board, in the cue through customs, temp checks, permits (which you had to show to board).

Since it's Devo, probably no need to take the car, it was about $1200 return for 2 people and car, not sure what 1 and car would run, but suspect maybe $800 - $900 ?
Subsidies for vehicle no charge still going ?

Jsut saw the OPs comment about booked out return leg for car . . . watch out for car hire, almost nothing available in Tas north at the moment (still) ?
Taxi / Uber or such would be an option, or your biz might be close enough to walk, it's not that big a distance to central Devo and there is a ferry crossing nearby.
FollowupID: 914430

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 09:24

Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 09:24
I've been three times using the recliners for the night time passage over, then just a deck passenger for the daytime return trip. My wife gets horribly sea sick, so she flew.

The recliners are comfortable, IMO. I had no issues with getting a good night's rest. I think you have a good plan if you can satisfy yourself about the parking.

Can't help with the parking question as we always take our vehicle.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 636508

Reply By: OzzieCruiser - Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 09:40

Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 09:40
Thanks for all those comments - a good insite.

I did look at also taking the car - it adds about $250 for the return trip but more importantly I cannot get it back across to Melbourne as all car spots are already taken.

I did fall for all the advertising hype about taking the car for free but the reality is completely different at the moment - same with airfares, thought there are a lot of discounts available but the reality is a lot different - before Covid, I could have gone to London and back for the same price to go to Devonport and back at the moment.
AnswerID: 636509

Reply By: rumpig - Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 12:20

Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 12:20
$1400.....WOW....the wife and I just returned from Tassie last week (was there for 5 days), we flew Brisbane to Hobart direct, return price with travel insurance for about $750 for the both of us.
AnswerID: 636511

Follow Up By: OzzieCruiser - Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 13:23

Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 13:23
Yes Capital to Capital - but try going to a small regional area like Devonport.
FollowupID: 914432

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 13:41

Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 13:41
The ferry is certainly a costly trip, even with the free car deal recently.
But the versatility of having a car there is good normally, now even essential with apparent shortages reported of hire cars in recent months.

Good the OP has dealings locally, I assume Uber and Taxis would be a good option if going as a day time or night passenger only, recliner (if available), or even the comfy seating all through the boat.
Plenty slept on the longer lounge area seating.
FollowupID: 914433

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 13:44

Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 13:44
Just checked, mid March we paid 2 pax, day sailing there, inside cabin back, Toyota Aurion each way for $1179.
We toured the north coast 5 days after business in Penguin was done day of arrival.
Awesome right up into the Tarkine in the Aurion, big loop drives done, no issues.
FollowupID: 914434

Reply By: Member - Thief - Sunday, May 23, 2021 at 14:11

Sunday, May 23, 2021 at 14:11
I have been on the spirit and its pretty good, sorry I can't be of much use to you re: the recliners, the cabins are pretty good and recommend you share one to reduce the cost.

I think the ferry is having a sale at the moment and your car is free.
AnswerID: 636522

Follow Up By: OzzieCruiser - Sunday, May 23, 2021 at 16:56

Sunday, May 23, 2021 at 16:56
Thanks but not free when I checked two days ago - there are some discounts on certain days but that is all.
FollowupID: 914456

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Sunday, May 23, 2021 at 22:55

Sunday, May 23, 2021 at 22:55
We travel regularly, and have done for the past 20 years. Usually get a cabin for overnight crossings, and just use the comfortable general seating around the deck area for day crossings. Have used the recliners a couple of times, but found them the least enjoyable option - a bit like being stuck in an plane seat for 10 hours, though of course you can go out for a walk around; not recommended with air travel :-)
One other consideration is that rental cars are at a premium in Tas at the moment, in the aftermath of the hire companies' COVID sell-off. So that may make the cost of taking your own car sensible even for a short trip.
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 636526

Reply By: Life Member - Woodsy - Monday, May 24, 2021 at 17:21

Monday, May 24, 2021 at 17:21
Hi OzzieCruiser

Have only done one trip about 2 years ago
Had twin cabin going over. Quite good, small but comfortable. I was hoping to see our arrival in Devonport but my wife had to wake me for disembarkation.
On return we took a cabin for the wife and I decided to take the recliner. Quite comfortable except for the complaints about my snoring.
As for the lounge sleepers (which I believe was not allowed), they took up all of the seating and prevented me from having a few drinks at the bar and a seat.
If you have patience getting on and off the ferry is not a hassle.

All in all I would do it again, but in a cabin.
Happy 4 wheeling

Woodsy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 636529

Reply By: Member - Warren H - Monday, May 24, 2021 at 18:28

Monday, May 24, 2021 at 18:28
I'd be following the news for the next few days as Melbourne might possibly becomeCovid-19 hotspot. so flying direct if possible might be the only option. Have you investigated Rex, staff from my former lab used to fly to Burnie using them?
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 636531

Follow Up By: OzzieCruiser - Tuesday, May 25, 2021 at 18:11

Tuesday, May 25, 2021 at 18:11
Due to COVID the trip is off - all routes go through Melbourne and the travel risks (not so much medical) due to possibly having to quarantine.
FollowupID: 914501

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, May 25, 2021 at 22:48

Tuesday, May 25, 2021 at 22:48
It is a risk Ozzie, but we also HAD to do our delivery mid June, and Melb metro was a hotspot, BUT . . .
You can (or at least could back mid March) go into Tassie as long as you don't stop in Vic, straight to the ferry terminal from the border entry point.
FollowupID: 914505

Sponsored Links