Yardie creek to Coral Bay

Anyone done this lately? We are towing a Kimberley Karavan. Any and all comments welcome.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: nick g1 - Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 21:44

Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 21:44
You will have no problem towing your rig down that track. Plenty of camps out that way. Have to book thru Dpaw. Its beautiful wild country along that track. My pick is Windabandi, great camp in dunes just behind the beach. Sandy tracks to the coast at various pts that are very sandy and soft and easy to get bogged on. Main track is easy going and hard packed. Yardie creek variable according to the amount of water around. We did the crossing in our off Rd 13ft van in October 2020. But only went to Winderbandi with van. Drove to Coral Bay 4wdrive only.
Have a good trip.
AnswerID: 636518

Reply By: Captain WA - Sunday, May 23, 2021 at 12:05

Sunday, May 23, 2021 at 12:05
Just got back from that area in April 2021, as well as a prior trip in July 2020. Tracks are firm and tyre pressure lowering is more about about ride comfort and minimising track errosion than traction issues. Unfortunately many choose not to lower pressures, contributing to the track errosion issues.

Only place that mandated lower pressures is crossing Yardie Creek. I was 15/18/20psi front to back with a 2.5T off-road van and had no issues. Maintained those pressures while on the Ningaloo coast and had zero issues.

Cheers

Mark
AnswerID: 636521

Follow Up By: Batt's - Monday, Jun 07, 2021 at 13:35

Monday, Jun 07, 2021 at 13:35
Usually it's inexperienced people who read or see something on tv or in a mag that snowball things making false claims that not letting tyre pressure down when off road will contribute to track erosion that's how things get blown out of proportion. It has a lot to do with the track surface and how steady or lead footed the driver is like deliberately spinning tyres spitting out rocks etc, the tread pattern width weight of vehicle etc. Yes by all means tyres should be adjusted to suit but I like to see genuine evidence where running on a firm surface no matter where it is there is any so called track eroding difference running with different tyre pressures.

I'm not against letting tyres down but don't like it when people make false claims which gets the media on it's high horse then tracks get closed because someone said the wrong thing.
FollowupID: 914668

Follow Up By: Captain WA - Monday, Jun 07, 2021 at 18:33

Monday, Jun 07, 2021 at 18:33
After 4WDriving for almost 40 years, being in a local 4WD club for over 20 years and a prior job being a 4WD instructor with Cert3 qualification, I think I have perhaps a tad of experiemce to comment.

Road tyre pressures on hard terrain without tyre spinning does not contribute to track errosion or corrugations IMHO. But lowering tyre pressures shows mechanical sympathy for the vehicle and its occupants.

But when it comes to soft sand and in particular sand dunes, it is simply irresponsible not to lower tyre pressures.

As a rule of thumb, if one can proceeed on a track without any wheelspin then you are probably within an acceptable pressure range. But if you have any wheelspin , this typically indicates one needs lower tyre pressures. YMMV.

Cheers

Mark
FollowupID: 914673

Reply By: Member - Julebern - Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at 17:03

Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at 17:03
Thanks for the info. Looks like we will do it in about a month.
AnswerID: 636558

Sponsored Links