Central locking installation

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 13, 2021 at 20:22
ThreadID: 142161 Views:7443 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
First time poster
I have an 08 Prado which has the lock/unlock button on door
My question is what colour wires do I tap into lock/unlock doors. I believe wiring is in kick panel drivers side .
If I’m reading wiring diagram correct purple orange and black go to ground and red goes to positive with green which is fused going to common lock and blue going to common unlock
Any advice would be helpful
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2021 at 21:04

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2021 at 21:04
Paul
The lock unlock wires, usually two, which change polarity direction from the controller to operate either direction. There will be wires to the motors in the lock mechanism. And they pass through the door flex tubes. Depending on what you are aiming to do, perhaps drop a door panel off and look at the wire colours to the lock mechanism. If probing those wires with a multi meter they will be dead, until either direction is activated and the meter polarity will reverse when asked to lock or unlock. That should get you sorted, perhaps.
AnswerID: 637138

Follow Up By: Paul C44 - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2021 at 04:56

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2021 at 04:56
Thanks
I’ll give that a go
FollowupID: 915130

Reply By: Member - LeighW - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2021 at 21:43

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2021 at 21:43
That door locking in that model is controlled by a multiplex communication system, it was not what I expected at all when I installed my alarm system. I spent quite a bit of time scoping wires to work out how it worked. I taped into the wiring from the drivers side door in the foot well I'll have to do some searching and see if I can find the circuit, from memory there is a lock signal and an unlock signal that originates from the body ECU. What made it worse was the wiring didn't correspond with the schematics in the service manual when I did mine.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 637139

Follow Up By: Paul C44 - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2021 at 04:59

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2021 at 04:59
Thanks for that
Can be a bit confusing
FollowupID: 915131

Follow Up By: Member - LeighW - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2021 at 09:53

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2021 at 09:53
My notes, they may help but now I remember I was installing an add on alarm unit to the cars security system, in my case a MONGOOSE MAP80 alarm system as the car already had central locking:

Alarm install notes

Note the two disarm wires, one indicates door has been unlocked, the other prevents the car hazard warning light switch being used to deactivate the alarm.

If your installing a stand alone alarm system that controls the doors locks them selves then you'll need to simulate the control pulses from the body ECU as from memory each door has its own electronics in it to control the door locking and unlocking. Easier to install a unit that integrates into the cars security system.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 915134

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2021 at 08:10

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2021 at 08:10
Hi Paul,

Not putting anyone on here down, but have you ever heard of the Landcruiser Owners On Line (LCOOL) forum? It is specifically dedicated to Landcruisers of all series including Prado. You may find what you are looking for on that forum.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 637141

Follow Up By: Member - LeighW - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2021 at 09:32

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2021 at 09:32
Be better looking on the Pradopoint website.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 915132

Reply By: Paul C44 - Sunday, Jul 25, 2021 at 11:08

Sunday, Jul 25, 2021 at 11:08
Hi all
Tried to install yesterday
Found door lock wires at kick panel but obviously did something wrong
Found blue/yellow wire which lit up test light on lock and blue/black which lit up on unlock
Connected green and blue wire but all I got was the controller clicking
Also got positive power from same loom
Rest of wiring done as in original post
Any ideas
Thanks
AnswerID: 637287

Sponsored Links