Latest advice sought for the Helena and Aurora Ranges + lake Ballard

Going for a tour onto the great western woodland and in particular around the Helena and Aurora range. Has any body gone through it recently and how’s the condition after all the rain we’ve had?
Any tips ? From anyone out there?
Thank you.
V
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rocket Rod - Friday, Jul 16, 2021 at 16:25

Friday, Jul 16, 2021 at 16:25
Roads to Lake Ballard will be ok even after rain but the lake itself will be as slippery as a skating rink, so prepare for a sore and brown backside. I went to Helena Range a couple of years ago and it's a magic spot but when the roads are wet they will be extremely sticky. Can't give you up to date info so suggest to call the Yilgarn Shire.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 637173

Reply By: Member - rocco2010 - Friday, Jul 16, 2021 at 17:58

Friday, Jul 16, 2021 at 17:58
Visited Helena and Aurora Range during a wet spell two years ago.

Unfortunately we couldn’t drive on the mine road.

If you can get in there some lovely country there.

This was an earlier visit late in the year when the flowers were out.

Good luck

AnswerID: 637176

Reply By: Rod W6 - Saturday, Jul 17, 2021 at 12:26

Saturday, Jul 17, 2021 at 12:26
This is the link you want http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDW60044.txt and the Central Wheat Belt. The names you need to look for are Diemals, Windarling, Southern Cross. The region will quickly dry out after rain. The Southern Cross Roads phone number is also good to have and check. If you get caught on roads the Yilgarn Shire have closed then expect to part with the $$$$$$.
AnswerID: 637185

Reply By: Vero - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2021 at 15:43

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2021 at 15:43
We ve just gone through the helena and aurora range (east part of the trek from bullfinch to lake ballard) and it was just beautiful condition driving and camping. Highly recommended . A bit wet at time but nothing major.
AnswerID: 637231

Follow Up By: Rod W6 - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2021 at 21:07

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2021 at 21:07
There is lots and lots of places to explore out there in the Yilgarn region and the best thing to do is simply follow every track even if it means the bushes scratch your vehicle. I explored this region for the last 28 years. Mining has stepped up a notch now and will probably effect the ability to rome freely in the region.
FollowupID: 915244

Sponsored Links