Bell tent/Yurt vs Southern Cross Ultimate?

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 24, 2021 at 21:12
ThreadID: 142258 Views:5788 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I'm looking for a tent suitable to use at one of the campgrounds on the road to Perisher Valley, either Sawpit Creek or Island Bend. Not planning to go backcountry, but could camp at one of the grounds for a few weeks up to a full ski season (4 months).

So I'm looking for something I can stand up in, probably a 4 to 6 person tent that I can set up with a heater and have plenty of room for gear.

I was looking at the SC Ultimate 11 as around the right size, but not sure of its ability to withstand winds that could be steady at 100km/h and gusting up to 140.

A mate staying at Island Bend now said the most resilient large tent there this year (apart of course from the backcountry tunnel tents which are too small for an extended stay) is a yurt or bell tent picked up 2nd hand from a glamping operation. He has no details of make, model etc.

Can anyone comment on the performance of the SC Ultimate in high winds, or suggest a good quality bell tent that would meet my parameters?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mikee5 - Saturday, Jul 24, 2021 at 21:28

Saturday, Jul 24, 2021 at 21:28
I can't help you about tents but please be aware of the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning if using a gas heater in an enclosed space like a tent.
AnswerID: 637284

Follow Up By: RMD - Saturday, Jul 24, 2021 at 22:03

Saturday, Jul 24, 2021 at 22:03
Mikee5 is correct, apart from a diesel heater, outside with duct to inside, which requires 12v and diesel and makes noise, you are limited to a 240v heater on a long lead from somewhere. Gas inside will be a "forever sleep"!
FollowupID: 915297

Follow Up By: Marty McSly - Sunday, Jul 25, 2021 at 11:13

Sunday, Jul 25, 2021 at 11:13
Yep. Diesel heater FTW. I'm well aware of the risks of gas and wouldn't even cook with gas inside the tent.

Because I'm looking at setting up for a potential 4 month stay in a tent with loads of room for 1, I'm considering the possibilities of a small inverter genset to power an air fryer and microwave oven. In turn, not together of course.
FollowupID: 915301

Reply By: GarryR - Sunday, Jul 25, 2021 at 08:23

Sunday, Jul 25, 2021 at 08:23
Judy and I now use a Southern Cross canvas tent. I am not sure that it was called an ultimate back then, but it is still a rectangular tent of the same size , using the side pole kit, and deleting the centre pole. Ours is about 20 years old now, and we have only in the past 4 years started to use it more and more after removing our roof top tent. If buying a new canvas tent, make sure you set it up and let it get wet as for the stitching holes to seal, or if does not look like rain use a hose and soak it down.
As we are in our late 60's and early 70's, we find camping back on the ground easier. Ian Dix ( Dixie ) has always made a good product, and he is easy to deal with. His company has made me several custom jobs of which are still in great condition for their age. ( i have no affiliation with this company apart from being a very happy customer). His products are not cheap, but he does produce a quality made all Australian product.
I cannot comment on the other product that you have mentioned.
In regards to a heater, my son in law just purchased a diesel heater which sits outside, and then he purchased a longer air heat tube to run into the camper, which leaves all exhaust gasses where they belong (outside).
Hope this gives you some help
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 637285

Reply By: Member - willawa - Sunday, Jul 25, 2021 at 15:24

Sunday, Jul 25, 2021 at 15:24
Keep in mind that gensets are not allowed in national parks
you may need to go for solar and lithium batteries there are a number of suppliers that may be worth speaking to
I have found that Itech in WA are always willing to help (I have no commercial affiliation with them)
good luck with your research
Must add the best place to be today in this part of the country ( Snowys) is indoors!
Ed
AnswerID: 637289

Follow Up By: RMD - Sunday, Jul 25, 2021 at 17:57

Sunday, Jul 25, 2021 at 17:57
Willawa
If he has a large trailer equiped with many hundreds of watts of solar panels AND an inverter, cooking may be possible under those cloudy skies mid winter! As Daryl says, tell him he's dreaming.
FollowupID: 915304

Follow Up By: Member - willawa - Sunday, Jul 25, 2021 at 20:18

Sunday, Jul 25, 2021 at 20:18
Exactly i wouldn't suggest that any one should attempt to do what he is considering
FollowupID: 915305

Reply By: Peterbilt - Sunday, Jul 25, 2021 at 20:15

Sunday, Jul 25, 2021 at 20:15
I have an SC Ultimate 10 and it's stood up easily to 70 km/h winds and other storms. For even stronger winds, I'd probably support the top with a guy rope on each corner. I've had the SC for 14 years, still excellent and worth the initial expense. Southern Cross repaired some top stitching & a zipper for $100 (my rough handling, not their quality). I use the tent probably 30 times a year and it's still as good as new.

Last year I bought one of their cabin tents as I work interstate for several months and wanted more living space; it was an excellent home and very comfortable for five months so I can certainly endorse their products.
AnswerID: 637292

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2021 at 20:33

Sunday, Jul 25, 2021 at 20:33
Don't know about the tent, but maybe google snow camping in Canada for some ideas on tent heating. There are some interesting you tube videos.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 637294

Sponsored Links