Suggestions of consolidating vehicles

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 04, 2021 at 17:36
ThreadID: 142323 Views:5647 Replies:2 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys, new to the forum. Sorry if this is in the wrong location.
As the title suggests, I'm potentially looking to move my 2018 Vw Golf and my 2003 Toyota Hilux on and purchase a (maybe newer) 4wd.

I am thinking about either a MU-X or maybe a prado as I like the idea of touring with a wagon. What would you guys recommend? Price range would be around $30k.

Thanks for your help,
Ben
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Michael H9 - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2021 at 18:06

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2021 at 18:06
Don't discount the trusty Pajero. They're bullet proof. The Pajero 4wd system and traction control is way better than an MUX and the Prado is more expensive but it's a better car than either of them.
AnswerID: 637387

Follow Up By: BTom92 - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2021 at 18:13

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2021 at 18:13
Thanks Michael. I've never had much experience with the Paj.
Due to the toyota tax, the prado would be 2008-12. How would the compare to either the Paj or MU-X? Still a good vehicle?
FollowupID: 915445

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2021 at 19:38

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2021 at 19:38
The Pajero is under rated off road and comes with a rear diff lock standard. The super select drive train has an all wheel drive mode ie 4wd high with centre diff unlocked, which is great on tar in the wet. It will lift wheels easier being independent front and rear but the traction control is very good. Pajeros aren't the quietest cars on rough roads but they are time tested and tough. The MUX is rear wheel drive only on tar and has a pathetic traction control system, but pretty solid otherwise. I've been stuck behind a heap of Dmax and MUX on club trips as they try to get up things that other cars haven't had any trouble with. Tyler Thonpson on youtube's dad has one and just put a rear diff lock in it and turned it into a great car. The Prado is hard to fault in any category. All wheel drive, good traction control, massive fuel tank, smoother and quieter than the other two, but you pay a fair bit extra and goodies like diff locks are only in the high end models. All of them get around the same fuel economy.
FollowupID: 915446

Follow Up By: BTom92 - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2021 at 19:51

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2021 at 19:51
Thanks for your reply Michael. Nice and thorough. In regards to the Pajeros, what models/engines are the best in your opinion? I will start having a read tonight.
FollowupID: 915447

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2021 at 20:01

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2021 at 20:01
They've been using the same engine for yonks..... around 2010 in it's current form? It's regarded as extremely reliable and is no slouch, 147kw and 441nm in the diesel.
FollowupID: 915448

Reply By: Member - mark D18 - Thursday, Aug 05, 2021 at 20:30

Thursday, Aug 05, 2021 at 20:30
Prado would be the way to go .
Toyota reliability with great resale value.
You pay the Toyota tax for a reason .
Cheers
AnswerID: 637393

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Friday, Aug 06, 2021 at 07:54

Friday, Aug 06, 2021 at 07:54
Though I am waiting for a new Prado to arrive later this month, I'm not impressed with Toyota reliability based on my one experience owning a Toyota !
I will rave about great Pajero reliability with my experience of 800 000km across 3 Pajeros.

If you are looking at 2nd hand, spending around the $30k, you will get a more modern better value vehicle with a Pajero compared to a Prado. You only get to recoup the Toyota tax if you resell the vehicle whilst it's relatively young, otherwise you are paying a tax for no benefit. Toyota haven't covered themselves with glory in recent years with their belligerence towards DPF and injector problems
They both have their relative advantages and disadvantages, the Prado is a good vehicle. The Pajero easily wins on value for money to me provided you can put up with the harsher ride (which is what you would have with a Ute platform based vehicle like MUX).
Individual service history and overall value assessment would probably trump a Pajero v Prado decision though

Mark
FollowupID: 915466

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, Aug 06, 2021 at 09:41

Friday, Aug 06, 2021 at 09:41
My experience with Toyota is totally the opposite to Tamworth Marks. 100 series Landcruiser bought new had over 300,000 kms on the clock when it was written off due to accident. Serviced as per service schedule, used extensively both off and on road. Brother-in-Law 80 Series Landcruiser again over 200,000 kms when traded in. Collectively between myself, my BIL, and my son, we have owned 9 Toyota’s either Landcruisers or Hiluxs over a period of 40 plus years, each with big kms when traded etc. none had any major issues during their lifetime with us.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 915470

Follow Up By: Member - mark D18 - Friday, Aug 06, 2021 at 09:52

Friday, Aug 06, 2021 at 09:52
My experience as well .
I only buy Toyota , the main reasons being I don’t want to many car troubles .
I have Seen all the problems with so called reliable cars , being a car wholesaler for 40 years .
Plus my best mate a mechanic would not talk to me if I brought another brand lol .
There will always be a few Toyota haters out there.
Cheers
FollowupID: 915471

Follow Up By: Member - rocco2010 - Friday, Aug 06, 2021 at 09:59

Friday, Aug 06, 2021 at 09:59
Don’t know about other states but used Prado prices through the roof in WA.

A 2014 GX with 150,000km on offer for same as what I paid for a 2013 with 80,000km in 2017.

Lots of happy Pajero owners out there.

Years ago I endured the sneers of the Holden-Ford mob and bought a Valiant at a substantial discount to the equivalents from the big two.

Never had a reason to regret it.

FollowupID: 915472

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Friday, Aug 06, 2021 at 10:19

Friday, Aug 06, 2021 at 10:19
Mark

Not sure what problem you had?

Prior to current 120 Series Prado that we have owned for over 13 years, we had owned 4 Pajero’s prior to that and thought they were just brilliant…….

The moment that we got the Prado, there would be no way I would go back Mitsubishi……

The Prado is a far more solid vehicle, it has been bulletproof, and been in far more true remote country.

Also if the Pajero were such a great vehicle, then why have they been scrapped from their lineup?

Yes if you are after a cheap four wheel drive, they are good value, and a friend of mine brought a brand new, run our Pajero for $40 K

Each for their own, but one one Prado is brilliant and if you were blindfolded, and I took you for a drive, you would not believe the ride for a vehicle of this age and where it has been
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 915473

Follow Up By: Member - Soft-Trailer - Friday, Aug 06, 2021 at 16:28

Friday, Aug 06, 2021 at 16:28
I've had a 2009 Pajero, and a 2016 2.8 Prado. There is absolutely nothing the Prado does any better over the Pajero whatsoever. Had my time again, I'd have bought a 2016 Pajero for far less.

As for the quality/ reliability comments.... my experience is that this for Toyota is simply based on those 1980's and 1990's cars that are still going strong. Since 2007 or so, Toyota engines have had more than their fair share of issues, including three DPFs on my Prado. And that's a design fault, not a user fault, as it did 40,000km/ year. I understand it's fixed now. The older Prado's you're looking at had cracked piston issues.

Not saying any other cars are better - certainly not. But don't believe the hype behind the Toyota badge anymore - especially in diesel.

Indeed, I would happily buy a Pajero now - despite its age - but for the fact I have a ute and use it for our farm.

With respect to your two cars looked at - I would take an MU-X. But as others have said, the price for 4WD lately has gone stupidly through the roof!
Lachlan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 915479

Follow Up By: RMD - Friday, Aug 06, 2021 at 19:06

Friday, Aug 06, 2021 at 19:06
There wIll always be a different viewpoints. In the past, experiences with their petrol engines which destroyed themselves if a cam or internal drive chain failed meant I didn't want one. While travelling, some people have had new models of challenger have problems requiring dealer repair. A neighbour recently bought a new Pajero, used it for a while then something happened. Now got it back after two Vic lockdowns and many weeks at dealers. He isn't happy.
FollowupID: 915481

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Friday, Aug 06, 2021 at 19:44

Friday, Aug 06, 2021 at 19:44
My mechanic does the servicing on the local police Pajero's and reckons they can't kill them and they're tough on cars. I've done a fair few kms in both Pajeros and Prados. On road, not much difference, off road ability, not much difference, corrogated or rough dirt tracks, the Prado is much better. The Pajero is much noisier and the dash fair dinkum dances all over the place as if it has a mind of its own and you need to turn the radio up to be able to hear it over the noise. Frankly, that's the only fault a Pajero has in my opinion.
FollowupID: 915483

Follow Up By: Member - mark D18 - Friday, Aug 06, 2021 at 19:57

Friday, Aug 06, 2021 at 19:57
If I was going to keep a vehicle for say 7 years and 150000 km I could live with a Pajero as long as it was a lot cheaper than a Prado .
Anything longer than this is when a Toyota comes into it own .
You get the Toyota tax back when you sell it and you have little worry for 300000 km with decent service intervals .
FollowupID: 915484

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Saturday, Aug 07, 2021 at 07:39

Saturday, Aug 07, 2021 at 07:39
Many , many Pajeros out there with 300,000klms trouble free. I,ve had Toyota and Nissan 4wds for 40+ years, done hundreds of thousands of off road klms in them. When I retired I evaluated what vehicle would suit me best for towing, suburban driving, reliability, value for dollar(although that was the least sticking point) and simplicity. Ended up buying a Pajero. That was 7 years ago. To date it has cost me exactly $42 in parts (brake switch issue). Easy to drive in the suburbs, excellent on fuel, tows 2500kg well (would not tow any more as very few vehicles actually tow more than this well!!!). Local mechanic who maintains my vehicle also bought a Paj as he refuses to pay the Toyota tax and the excessive spare part prices. Some of the bills he has shown me for Landcruiser parts are eye watering. For around $30,000 you,ll get a lot better vehicle with the Paj than a Prado.
FollowupID: 915488

Follow Up By: Member - mark D18 - Saturday, Aug 07, 2021 at 07:45

Saturday, Aug 07, 2021 at 07:45
Thanks for the advise .
I will keep with Toyota as reliability and resale value are important to me .
It’s interesting that once your outside and major cities Toyota out number every brand heavily .
Cheers
FollowupID: 915489

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Sunday, Aug 08, 2021 at 10:11

Sunday, Aug 08, 2021 at 10:11
With the Prado v Pajero debate.
If they were both the same price or perhaps if the Pajero was a bit dearer, which one would you say is the better vehicle then?

I think some people’s version of better is better value for money which is fine but should be clarified just the same

Another aspect which could be a consideration is fuel capacity. From memory the Prado has a bigger fuel capacity than the Pajero so would need to factor in the price of a long range tank if that is important to your requirements
FollowupID: 915509

Sponsored Links