The tracking arrow

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 08, 2021 at 08:12
ThreadID: 142336 Views:5299 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I have recently purchased the Exploroz Traveller app plus the offline maps
On my first outing to test it it worked perfectly. The arrow showing my position at all times worked perfectly. However on a trip from Our house to the sea side town of Kingston the arrow got stuck at Stirling for the whole trip.
My IPad only works on wifi and not internet data
Any suggestions
Back Expand Un-Read 3 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Warren H - Sunday, Aug 08, 2021 at 08:22

Sunday, Aug 08, 2021 at 08:22
If it is a WiFi only iPad it does not have a GPS.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 637415

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Sunday, Aug 08, 2021 at 08:28

Sunday, Aug 08, 2021 at 08:28
You will find Andrew the your mapping data requires GPS data to tell the map where it is.

One of these will fix your problem and you are able to connect 5 separate devices simultaneously.

Bad Elf

The above blog will show you how easy it is to set one up.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 637416

Reply By: Member - David H72 - Sunday, Aug 08, 2021 at 08:57

Sunday, Aug 08, 2021 at 08:57
Hi Andrew
You could also hot spot it to your iPhone if you have that suitably mounted in the car so it has an adequate gps signal.
There is also an icon, below the 3D icon, on the right hand side of the ExplorOz map screen which, if you press it, will stay fixed on a location or keep the tracking arrow in the middle of the screen. It turns orange in one instance and stays clear in the other.
Cheers
David
Melbourne Vic. Land Rover Disco 4, AOR Matrix Pop Top

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 637418

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Aug 08, 2021 at 09:05

Sunday, Aug 08, 2021 at 09:05
Warren and Stephen,

If he doesn't already have a GPS mouse, how do you account for:

"On my first outing to test it it worked perfectly. The arrow showing my position at all times worked perfectly. "?

Andrew, can you tell us a bit more about your setup. Warren and Stephen are correct, you need an external GPS. If you don't have one, how did it work perfectly the first time? Did you have your iPad hotspotted to your phone and was that first trip totally inside mobile phone coverage?
FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 637419

Follow Up By: RMD - Sunday, Aug 08, 2021 at 09:41

Sunday, Aug 08, 2021 at 09:41
Exactly what I was going to ask. If it was OK then why not now with same. Only explanation to me is Andrew tested it either in his loungeroom or backyard and no further. Has to be GPS or wifi signals involved somewhere.
FollowupID: 915507

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Aug 08, 2021 at 12:30

Sunday, Aug 08, 2021 at 12:30
Just reviewed System Requirements:

"Using your phone as a Hotspot to your iPad only provides a data connection and whilst you are in mobile range this can provide location services but this will not work when offline so this method is not a solution for offline tracking. All iPhones have GPS built in but Wifi only iPads do not have GPS built in and only use online location services."

Sorry I didn't pick this up properly in my Reply above.

I suspect the OP hotspotted the iPad and took the first trip totally within mobile data coverage, so it worked with location data provided by the phone network, not GPS.

Second trip got outside mobile coverage at Stirling. I suspect that with no position input for a while in the Stirling area the iPad thought it was stationery. When the signal resumed the iPad tracking didn't wake up. (Some iPads do that and there's a setting in Traveller to address it).

Andrew, as Stephen and Warren have said, you need to get a suitable external GPS if you want your setup to work properly outside mobile data coverage.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 915521

Reply By: Andrew S51 - Sunday, Aug 08, 2021 at 19:40

Sunday, Aug 08, 2021 at 19:40
Thank you all for your replies. Unfortunately I think I have bought the wrong application for the wrong tablet / iPad

I have a Samsung Galaxy tablet and know for certain that it has a GPS chip

I am going to ring the owners of the company tomorrow to see if they can help me by transferring it to my android Tablet
To buy a cellular iPad is a big expense

If I’m not successful with the owners I will look at the Bad Elf option

Thanks for all your help
AnswerID: 637430

Follow Up By: TrevorDavid - Monday, Aug 09, 2021 at 07:00

Monday, Aug 09, 2021 at 07:00
G’Day Andrew

Not a Samsung user, butI think you can turn the GPS on / off in their devices , so I am wondering if the GPS is actually turned off.

Samsung users may be able to confirm this or not.

Regards

TrevorDavid
dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 915536

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Aug 09, 2021 at 08:12

Monday, Aug 09, 2021 at 08:12
TrevorDavid. I think Andrew is saying that he will look to use the Samsung as an alternative to the non working iPad because he knows it has a GPS.

FollowupID: 915538

Follow Up By: TrevorDavid - Monday, Aug 09, 2021 at 08:21

Monday, Aug 09, 2021 at 08:21
Thanks Tony

On reading that again I agree, cheers

TrevorDavid
dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 915540

Reply By: Andrew S51 - Friday, Aug 20, 2021 at 13:09

Friday, Aug 20, 2021 at 13:09
Thanks heaps for your feedback. I have since purchased a Garmin GLO 2 GPS transceiver. I bluetoothed it and went for a drive and it worked perfectly. 139.00 dollars. ( it was precise and accurate.)
I was happy.
However the second time I went out it had a lag factor. It would continually catch up with where I was.
Could that be because I had the Garmin mounted inappropriately.
Any thoughts
This is definitely proving to be a challenging exercise.
I chose to go with my existing iPad Pro Air
AnswerID: 637588

Sponsored Links