XTM cargo drawers

Submitted: Monday, Aug 09, 2021 at 07:40
ThreadID: 142345 Views:11690 Replies:6 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
The topic of XTM cargo drawers has been brooched before in this forum however I thought I would share my experience with these drawers to allow others to make an informed decision before purchase.
I installed the XTM fridge slide/kitchen combo on one side of my Ford Everest and the single drawer with fridge slide top on the other side giving me two options for slide out use.
I found both units worked reasonably well whilst travelling on bitumen and gravel roads with only minor rattles/movement within the joints.
However, a recent trip to Cape York provided a different result.
Day after day on corrugations loosened off the multitude of nuts and bolts holding these units together and the drawers became progressively harder to open and close and one locking mechanism fell apart.
Due to the fitment of the units, it is not possible to tighten every part without completely pulling the units out which is impractical whilst travelling.
The fridge slide top on the drawer unit has an advertised carrying weight of 60kgs but rattled loose with 40kgs on it.
I previously had Drifta drawers which are pretty much bullet proof but subject to lengthy manufacturing wait time and like other custom made drawers on the market are quite expensive.
However this really is a situation of you get what you pay for.

Hope this helps others with their drawer decision.

Toucan2489
PS: BCF and Supercheap Auto both sell the XTM drawers however I am unable to find out who actually makes them? Local stores do not know.

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Monday, Aug 09, 2021 at 07:52

Monday, Aug 09, 2021 at 07:52
Sorry to hear your issues after parting with your money on a product that is not up to standard. Have you contacted the supplier for a refund, as the product is not fit for purpose?

We have the bulletproof Black Widow and have proven their reliability on all out major remote tracks.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 637434

Follow Up By: Gbc.. - Monday, Aug 09, 2021 at 12:18

Monday, Aug 09, 2021 at 12:18
I bought my black widow fridge slide out of the trading post when it was a newspaper haha. It was second hand then. I have had it in 5 vehicles since.
FollowupID: 915556

Follow Up By: GarryR - Monday, Aug 09, 2021 at 14:23

Monday, Aug 09, 2021 at 14:23
I also have Black Widow draw system. It is a real shame that they went out of business, as they were locally made in Macedon Victoria.
There systems were by no means cheap but were of good quality and Aussie made.
I suppose they finally could not compete with the cheaper imports that suit most peoples budgets better.
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 915562

Follow Up By: Member - rocco2010 - Monday, Aug 09, 2021 at 15:15

Monday, Aug 09, 2021 at 15:15
The people who made Black Widow drawers etc in business as RV Storage Solutions.

FollowupID: 915564

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Monday, Aug 09, 2021 at 08:32

Monday, Aug 09, 2021 at 08:32
Yep, the Drifta drawers are great, and we are very happy with ours. Couldn't fault the product or the great service.
Will keep your experience in mind if we are asked about XTM.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 637436

Reply By: Banjo (WA) - Monday, Aug 09, 2021 at 08:37

Monday, Aug 09, 2021 at 08:37
Have had a set of Outback Equipment drawers for 18 years.
Faultless performance.
Not cheap, but quality never is.
AnswerID: 637437

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Monday, Aug 09, 2021 at 10:47

Monday, Aug 09, 2021 at 10:47
I am on my second set, first was in the Patrol and second in the D-Max.

The only problem I have had is I have broken 2 of the left drawer clips that keep the drawer open when fully extended.

Yes, they cost a bomb and looking at the King Drawers I think I will use them in future as they seems to be build much the same. These are about 10% of the Outback price.

Maybe the use of nylok nuts when putting them together or the use of loctite.
FollowupID: 915551

Reply By: Michael H9 - Monday, Aug 09, 2021 at 12:54

Monday, Aug 09, 2021 at 12:54
I've got the same setup, two XTM drawers side by side and haven't had that issue after twenty odd thousand kilometres of rough remote roads. The slide catch on one of them became loose which I tightened but so far the actual drawers have been fine. There's a squeak on the fridge slide that doesn't have the fridge on it, but that's about it. I do like the built in slide out kitchen/ food prep table between the drawer and the fridge slide. Having two side by side I can cook and prepare easily at the back of the car.
AnswerID: 637442

Reply By: toucan2489 - Monday, Aug 09, 2021 at 13:35

Monday, Aug 09, 2021 at 13:35
Thanks to all responders.

Will try and cover all the points....

Size governed/limited my options as the Everest has only 800mm depth to play with and most drawers are between 850 and 1000 long.

The single drawer with fridge slide top has been changed once as the first one had a faulty slide out cutting board mechanism.

Replacing the unit will unfortunately not help as they lack the robustness to deal with a trip to Cape York.

The main problem is, the drawer with the built in fridge slide has the top front section bolts removed from the fixed top model to allow for the fridge slide to be included.
This allows movement which, with weight on the slide, gains momentum/movement and progressively shakes the bolts loose.

The slide on the XTM kitchen unit is much more robust but of course it was almost three times the price.

Good luck to those who have not experienced problems to date.

I might remove the lightweight fridge slide, turn the drawer into a fixed unit, add a top with extra bracing for strength and then place a stronger slide on top.
Finally a few drops of Locktite on the bolts.
Thanks

Toucan2489

AnswerID: 637444

Follow Up By: Batt's - Monday, Aug 09, 2021 at 20:54

Monday, Aug 09, 2021 at 20:54
I've never had draws as yet but in your opinion do you think when constructing them that using liquid loctite might help or no use at all Thanks
FollowupID: 915568

Follow Up By: toucan2489 - Monday, Aug 09, 2021 at 21:30

Monday, Aug 09, 2021 at 21:30
I am not an expert. All the marine ply drawers I have seen/used have been glued and screwed e.g. Drifta and are very strong.
If I was making steel framed drawers I would use nylon nuts and spring washers.
Only suggesting Locktite in my situation as there is no surplus thread to add washers so will put some Locktite on the end of the nylon nut.

FollowupID: 915569

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2021 at 09:38

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2021 at 09:38
"Only suggesting Locktite in my situation as there is no surplus thread to add washers so will put some Locktite on the end of the nylon nut."

A new nyloc nut shouldn't need loctite, but if you take it off and re-use it then Loctite is probably a good idea - nyloc nuts are supposed to be used once only. Loctite works by being on the thread, not at the end of the nut. You should remove the nut, put some loctite on the thread then reinstall the nut.

Alternatively, if you want to use a spring washer, perhaps you can swap the nyloc nut for a thinner conventional nut, leaving room for a washer underneath. And some loctite for good measure?

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 915570

Follow Up By: Batt's - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2021 at 12:41

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2021 at 12:41
No worries toucan I generally use loctite on self tapping screws like the bracket mounting the uhf or the Narva accessories socket and most bolts with or without nyloc nuts just for that extra security but they'll usually non moving items always thought I was a bit over the top but things don't usually rattle loose. Thanks
FollowupID: 915574

Follow Up By: RMD - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2021 at 20:30

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2021 at 20:30
You can
Can't you remove the the drawer and access the bottle through there? If not and need access, cut a hole with a jigsaw.
FollowupID: 915588

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Wednesday, Aug 11, 2021 at 09:51

Wednesday, Aug 11, 2021 at 09:51
Hi RMD,

I think you are commenting on the wrong post. :-)

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 915592

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2021 at 08:14

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2021 at 08:14
Hi Toucan2489,

Are the nuts and bolts a “captive” system where the nuts are permanently attached to a frame? If they are not, perhaps you could replace the nuts with “nylock” type nuts. Not sure if this is possible, and I realise it will mean pulling the whole thing apart, but may be you best and most cost effective solution.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 637455

Follow Up By: toucan2489 - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2021 at 10:04

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2021 at 10:04
Covering the last two responses, the system uses nylon nuts however, despite this, the various sizes shook loose to varying degrees. That is why I mentioned Locktite. The metal frame of the XTM drawers is quite light. (thin) adding to the movement. As also mentioned, reusing the nylock nuts does put them under pressure so it was either buy new ones or save a few bucks and put a couple of drops of Locktite on the thread end.

Cheers

FollowupID: 915571

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2021 at 11:55

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2021 at 11:55
Not on the thread end, mate. Take the nut off and put the loctite on the bolt thread then reinstall the nut!
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 915572

Follow Up By: toucan2489 - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2021 at 12:13

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2021 at 12:13
Yep. Sorry, meant take off nut and put on thread. Thanks for correction.
FollowupID: 915573

Sponsored Links