travelling with dogs.

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 08, 2021 at 10:59
ThreadID: 142541 Views:6016 Replies:11 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
this is just a small rant and not all dog owners that are travelling with dogs are guilty of this, but if you do let your dog off the leash and let them run which they have to have that exercise time, please follow up and clean up after them. We have just completed 16 days on the Gibb river road , we had a fantastic time except for a few dog owners that were travelling in the same area as us would not clean up after there dogs, the comment from one lady was were in the bush who cares, my response was I do as her dog had just done its business in front of our van about ten feet from our front door.
All I am asking is please clean up after your pets, I love seeing dogs running free and if our life style would permit it we would own a dog too, but we love going to national parks and camping in parks so a dog at this stage is not a requirement for us. A big thank you to the people that do clean up after the pets in the bush
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 8 Moderator

Reply By: MarkHugh - Wednesday, Sep 08, 2021 at 11:45

Wednesday, Sep 08, 2021 at 11:45
Absolutely agree...!

Mark
AnswerID: 637833

Reply By: Member - David M (SA) - Wednesday, Sep 08, 2021 at 12:35

Wednesday, Sep 08, 2021 at 12:35
Hope the owners had muzzles on their pets. 1080 poisoning is not a sight you want to see.
Two things I don't like to hear in WA.
My dog won't eat anything not given by me.
I don't need a GPS. I know where I am at all times by the Sun. :)
Dave.
AnswerID: 637834

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Sep 08, 2021 at 12:38

Wednesday, Sep 08, 2021 at 12:38
As for
" ... we're in the bush, who cares? ..."
The wildlife does. Dog and cat scents drive wildlife away.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 637835

Follow Up By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Wednesday, Sep 08, 2021 at 13:43

Wednesday, Sep 08, 2021 at 13:43
I'm not so sure about the domestic pet scent and wild animals. I have a Kelpie as well as all sorts of native animals. Today the first of the carpet pythons appeared both over 1.5mts and wer're expecting the 3mt one to wake up shortly. We just wish the kangaroos would hop off because they poo all around the house even on the verandas. More bird life you could imagine and at least two echidnas. But the numerous bandicoots are just great because they eat the dog poo. We don't live in the bush but in a well populated area and all our neighbours have dogs.
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

FollowupID: 915978

Follow Up By: Member - silkwood - Thursday, Sep 09, 2021 at 12:46

Thursday, Sep 09, 2021 at 12:46
When studying outdoor recreation (many years ago now!) I read two papers which came down firmly on the evidence dog scents (including faeces) causing some native wildlife to avoid an area, sometimes for days. A problem in areas with limited water options.

The alternative argument goes that there are enough feral cats and dogs for domestic pets to make little difference.

Cheers,

Mark
FollowupID: 915990

Reply By: Gramps - Wednesday, Sep 08, 2021 at 13:03

Wednesday, Sep 08, 2021 at 13:03
Grab a shovel and relocate the offending pile to their campsite. I know it does'nt fix the problem and is probably viewed as childish but "we're in the bush, who cares".

Regards
AnswerID: 637836

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Wednesday, Sep 08, 2021 at 13:36

Wednesday, Sep 08, 2021 at 13:36
There’s someone near me who carefully cleans up after his/her dog, then throws the plastic bag into someone’s yard or onto the grassy footpath area.
Takes all kinds.
Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 637837

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Sep 08, 2021 at 14:14

Wednesday, Sep 08, 2021 at 14:14
Northern Australia is a dangerous area for dogs.
https://nt.gov.au/industry/agriculture/livestock/animal-health-and-diseases/ehrlichiosis-disease-dogs
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 637839

Reply By: Michael H9 - Wednesday, Sep 08, 2021 at 14:27

Wednesday, Sep 08, 2021 at 14:27
My personal favorite is when the dog, even when on a lead, vigorously puts their nose into your crotch and starts rummaging around, and the owner thinks it's OK....cute in fact.
AnswerID: 637841

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Wednesday, Sep 08, 2021 at 17:19

Wednesday, Sep 08, 2021 at 17:19
What I really don't like is disposable baby nappies hoisted into the bush!
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

AnswerID: 637844

Follow Up By: Member - DickyBeach - Thursday, Sep 09, 2021 at 18:46

Thursday, Sep 09, 2021 at 18:46
..... and human's toilet paper blowing around the bush.
We used to scrape a small hole, poo into it, gather the toilet paper into it then set fire to it. After 30-60 seconds then scrape dirt back over the poo and the ashes. Simple, and took say one minute.
FollowupID: 915996

Reply By: Erad - Wednesday, Sep 08, 2021 at 22:14

Wednesday, Sep 08, 2021 at 22:14
Not outback at all, but we used to have neighbours who had 2 Dobermans. Each morning they would let them out and the dogs would rush out onto our front lawn and poop there. I used to go out with a long handled spade, pick the turds up and flick them back into their yard. One morning, I heard a loud 'Donk'. I looked around the front gate and saw their car with a couple of large turds on the roof! Strangely, we didn't have problems any more after that (not with those dogs anyway).
AnswerID: 637852

Follow Up By: Keir & Marg - Thursday, Sep 09, 2021 at 10:29

Thursday, Sep 09, 2021 at 10:29
Years ago I worked with a lady who had the same problem with her neighbours' dogs. Her husband collected the nice fresh ones, wrapped them in newspaper, placed the newspaper on their front doorstep, set it alight, rang the doorbell and returned home. The neighbour answered the door and of course stamped on the newspaper to put out the fire. He got the message!!!!!
FollowupID: 915987

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Thursday, Sep 09, 2021 at 07:04

Thursday, Sep 09, 2021 at 07:04
Totally agree and I,ll go one further....

Could all the disgusting, so called humans that crap on the side of roads and tracks , leaving toilet paper blowing around like confetti....please stop....Your getting animals a bad name. Telegraph track is like an open sewer line at times. Shame some people were not better toilet trained as youngens.
AnswerID: 637854

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Thursday, Sep 09, 2021 at 14:02

Thursday, Sep 09, 2021 at 14:02
We travel with our dogs and always do the right thing.

What really gets up my nose is the filthy women that leave their tissues on the ground after having a piddle, or the thoughtless young people that leave their disposal nappies on the side of the road or track.

In the bush, dogs business will soon be taken up by nature, but those filthy nappies are there for decades.

Next time we talk about dogs in the bush, we should be talking about bloody nappies, toilet paper and tissues.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 637862

Follow Up By: Member - silkwood - Thursday, Sep 09, 2021 at 17:23

Thursday, Sep 09, 2021 at 17:23
The problem with this type of argument (Tu Quoque) is that it is a deflection to avoid reasoned discussion of an issue. Yes, there are issues with toilet paper (though it can be argued this is more an aesthetic issue than environmental- important, nonetheless) and nappies (a far greater issue) but that does not negate from discussing dogs when travelling.

What you consider "the right thing" may not be the viewpoint of others, hence the valid reason to discuss. If the topic were impacts upon the environment in general, yes, it is reasonable to bring up nappies and toilet paper, but there would also be many other issues to discuss.

As I said, a distraction, one used extensively yet improperly (note how many answer how bad Labor is with "well the other mob does this"... the issue is how bad Labor is...).

Cheers,

Mark
FollowupID: 915995

Follow Up By: Member - Lyncol - Thursday, Sep 09, 2021 at 22:00

Thursday, Sep 09, 2021 at 22:00
well said Stephen L !!

I am disgusted and embarrassed with a few of my fellow fairer sex who think it’s ok to leave behind their toilet paper after having a piddle. It’s not just out in the bush either, just about every Parking stop has the same little bits of toilet paper everywhere. We recently climbed Mt Augustus in WA, a decent 4 hour hike up and at the top some delightful lady left her calling card.
In my backpack and all our vehicles I carry one of those plastic ziplock bags to put my toilet paper in and when I feel the urge, I take my plastic bag and my little bit of toilet paper with me. Then at the end of the day when we are camping we use this paper to light the fire or I put it in the bin.
I call it my WWW or 3W’s. No …..not the World Wide Web………. the WEE WIPE WALLET…
Come on all you females let’s clean up Australia and use the 3 W’s.
FollowupID: 915997

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Friday, Sep 10, 2021 at 20:31

Friday, Sep 10, 2021 at 20:31
Try following a day behind trio of female bushwalkers for 100km or so on the Larapinta Trail!

Mark
FollowupID: 916025

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Sep 11, 2021 at 08:53

Saturday, Sep 11, 2021 at 08:53
Well Mark, it's not their fault that there are not enough toilets on the Larapinta Trail is it?
( I 'spose I should put a 'lol' after that. But I won't. )
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 916030

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Saturday, Sep 11, 2021 at 13:32

Saturday, Sep 11, 2021 at 13:32
What they could do Allan is what responsible women do, pick up they tissues, put them in a bag and then burn them at night around the campfire.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 916032

Sponsored Links