CPAP users

Submitted: Friday, Sep 24, 2021 at 08:51
ThreadID: 142619 Views:5189 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Good day guys I been put on a c pat m/c How would I power it in the van when i am traveling around from place to place
Thanks

EDIT by ModSquad to correct the title
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Friday, Sep 24, 2021 at 09:41

Friday, Sep 24, 2021 at 09:41
Hi chris a,

By C pat I'm presuming you mean a CPAP machine.
If so I power my from the vehicle battery using an inverter - 12 volts to 240 volts.
Or if using my 12-volt machine via 12-volt plug.

Been doing it for about 20 years - works a rest.
atb

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 638036

Reply By: kgarn - Friday, Sep 24, 2021 at 09:43

Reply By: Keir & Marg - Friday, Sep 24, 2021 at 11:28

Friday, Sep 24, 2021 at 11:28
Hi Chris, my wife has a RESMED CPAP machine which runs off 240V, so that's how we run it in the van if 240V is available. If we are free camping, we use a RESMED DC-DC converter which converts 12v DC to 19V DC which is what the CPAP actually runs on. You'll need a decent (ie 10A) cigarette lighter plug in the van and appropriate cabling back to the van battery. The CPAP uses about 50Ah of battery overnight so is just about the limit for our 110Ah AGM battery. You can save a bit of power by filling the CPAP water tank with warm water (~40C) just before going to bed.
AnswerID: 638038

Reply By: GG7777 - Friday, Sep 24, 2021 at 13:55

Friday, Sep 24, 2021 at 13:55
All the below for me, but, if using a Resmed machine, if you turn off the humidifier and the heater air hose it will use a lot less power. With this system we have been able to free camp in one spot just using 200 watts? of solar for up to 5 days with only a 105 AH battery.
I also carry a 240 to 24 volt converter to allow use in a 240 volt powered situation
Murray
AnswerID: 638039

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Saturday, Sep 25, 2021 at 06:30

Saturday, Sep 25, 2021 at 06:30
Resmed are the least efficient machines power wise when running on 12v as they use 24v so the need to "create" 24v with an adapter which takes more power than a straight 12v machine.
The most efficient 12v machine is the Devilbiss ones, unfortunately they have stopped producing them to concentrate on ventilators and oxygen machines due to the demand caused by Covid.
Phillips machines are also straight 12v so don't need adapter as are many others.
I have both Devilbiss and Phillips machines and use the humidifier on both on 12v when away travelling in the Oka but we have a large battery and plenty of solar to replenish it.
AnswerID: 638048

Follow Up By: Member - Gordon B5 - Saturday, Sep 25, 2021 at 14:38

Saturday, Sep 25, 2021 at 14:38
I use a Resmed Airsense 10 with the Humidifier and heater hose turned off, even at home, with the 12 to 24 adapter. just got home from the far north of SA and every morning I looked my 130 A/h batteries ( 2 x 65 a/h) were at 92% & I also use 200W solar panel for my camper trailer to top up battery when staying at 1 location. I have never had a problem except on the CSR when a battery terminal vibrated loose.
He who hesitates is lost

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 916292

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Sunday, Sep 26, 2021 at 07:07

Sunday, Sep 26, 2021 at 07:07
Like ozhumvee I use a Devilbiss cpap machine because there is nothing else on the market which can compete with it’s efficiency on 12v solar systems, especially when using a humidifier. It has a proper humidifier, unlike the ‘Mickey mouse’ re-breather types that all the tiny 12v travel types use.

It is unfortunate that Devilbiss are ceasing manufacture at the end of this year, but they will still produce spare parts .

My Devilbiss Blue (Dv64) has now done almost 5 years, most of which has been full time on the road. That is a lot of corrugations vibration & dusty conditions & hasn’t missed a beat.

Yesterday I bought another as a spare to replace the current when it eventually wears out, whilst they are still available.

https://benmed.com.au/devilbiss-blue-auto-with-heated-humidifier/
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 638074

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Wednesday, Sep 29, 2021 at 20:57

Wednesday, Sep 29, 2021 at 20:57
Just in regard to power usage. We have 360Ah of batteries, (AGM’s) about 2 months old. We are on the road full time & rely solely on our battery system solar & dcdc charged) for power. Each night since buying new batteries we have used about 10% (9.% to 11% of their capacity. (In FNQ with night temps varying between low to mid 20’s) so averaging 36Ah. Per night.This is running a 35 litre freezer at minus 14 degrees, a 60 litre fridge at 1 degree, My Devilbiss CPAP machine set on auto with pressure range from 8 to 9.5, humidification set on 1 (of 5) & usage between 8 to 10 hours nightly, plus modest lighting , use of radio & phone charging. I would suggest that those using Resmed machines, especially with humidification couldn’t come close to those power usage figures even without the fridge & freezer. Fine if you have power to spare but my preference is to draw the batteries down as little as possible. That’s how I got almost 10 years out of my last battery bank. (Same size, same brand , similar usage). As well as running natively on 12v, the Devilbiss also utilises a unique means of heated humidification which prevents rainout without the need for a heated hose (Pulse Dose humidification - a technology developed for their oxygen machines - which uses far less power).
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 916431

Sponsored Links