Which car 4wd

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 05, 2023 at 01:06
ThreadID: 145191 Views:3182 Replies:8 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hey all,
I am looking at buying another 4wd, I currently have a 2011 diesel Pathfinder and not really impressed with it over the last few years.
I'm looking at a car around 2016 because of price and am interested in, Ford Everest, Mitsubishi Pajero Sport, Toyota Fortuner or Prado, auto and diesel only.
I wanted to ask if anyone here owns any of the above, if so what is the reliability, comfortability and fuel consumption avg and are you happy with it please.

TIA
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: axle - Thursday, Jan 05, 2023 at 09:28

Thursday, Jan 05, 2023 at 09:28
G/Day Mate, You just took the top off a big can of worms, ..lol.

IMHO, the Pajero 3.2, L , for price, economy, performance, comfort.

BUT! , this is predominately a Toyota bias forum.

The 3.2l pajero is out of production now

so eventually the depreciaton may be a issue

depending on what you pay.

good .luck with your purchase ,

Cheers Axle.
AnswerID: 642507

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Thursday, Jan 05, 2023 at 09:47

Thursday, Jan 05, 2023 at 09:47
Our neighbour brought a brand new, walk away no more to pay Pajero for $40k

Never ever seen that cheap ever for a brand new car. The problem there is in a few years, they will be worth nothing S/H
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 922085

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Thursday, Jan 05, 2023 at 14:11

Thursday, Jan 05, 2023 at 14:11
Over twenty years I did nearly 800 000km in our three Pajeros, now 60km into a 2021 Prado with no problems in any of these vehicles.
I won't knock any of your candidates, but as far as value for money between a Prado and Pajero the Pajero wins hands down.
The Prado is a nicer drive, but you have to pay a heck of a lot more for the Prado, or at same money settle for a much older/higher km Prado. Depending on where you drive, parts may be a lot easier for a Prado, but there are plenty of 2nd hand Pajeo parts available.
Just make sure you get the enjoyment out of using a 4WD for what they are intended for!
Mark
FollowupID: 922088

Reply By: Kazza055 - Thursday, Jan 05, 2023 at 09:57

Thursday, Jan 05, 2023 at 09:57
Don't forget the Isuzu MU-X, you see many of the D-Max and MU-X out there towing some of the bigger vans.

Isuzu are renowned for their reliability.
AnswerID: 642508

Follow Up By: Riff - Thursday, Jan 05, 2023 at 12:12

Thursday, Jan 05, 2023 at 12:12
Yeah bud, considered that, but I think they are an ugly looking car.
Lol
FollowupID: 922087

Reply By: Member - rocco2010 - Thursday, Jan 05, 2023 at 10:58

Thursday, Jan 05, 2023 at 10:58
Gidday

I’m a Prado owner, so I’m biased. bought a 2013 in 2016. Never had an issue in 100,000km since other than maintenance items. Things that wear out like brakes and shocks.

Don’t know about other states But in WA you will pay for privilege.
Same model as mine dealers asking near what I paid six years ago. In lockdown everybody wanted a 4wd it seems and prices went up accordingly.

Good luck with your search

AnswerID: 642511

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Thursday, Jan 05, 2023 at 11:55

Thursday, Jan 05, 2023 at 11:55
Hi Riff,

Whilst not wanting to sound “biased”, members of my family and I have owned Toyotas, Hilux, Landcruiser, 70 Series, 100 Series, and now 200 Series since the mid 70’s. Have also had a Patrol and a Mitsubishi in that time frame as well.

There is a very good reason for the popularity of Toyota, that is their longevity without too many issues, the availability of parts throughout the country, and the ability to have it serviced in most parts of the country. Each vehicle we have owned has/had clocked up more than 200,000 kms, a couple with in excess of 300,000 kms by the time they were upgraded.

Yes, there are the Toyota “knockers”, generally, but not always, they have never owned one, or have had one of the very few “lemons”. These are few and far between.

Do not necessarily be afraid of a secondhand Toyota with more than 100,000 kms on it. If you can confirm it’s history, particularly it’s service history, there are plenty of bargains to be had. Even the ex rentals, as long as they have been regularly serviced, there are some good vehicles out there.

Whatever vehicle you decide on, do your research, and I don’t mean Facebook, look at online reviews from real world people, not just motoring journalists. Good luck with your search.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 642514

Follow Up By: Riff - Friday, Jan 06, 2023 at 00:40

Friday, Jan 06, 2023 at 00:40
Same bud, I have had 3 Hilux's, a 80 series and the wife has only ever had rav4's.

The problem is as you said, the coin is just ridiculous for Toyota.

I sold my 2009 hilux 120000ks on it, with 4k alpine stereo, arb bar, full decked out canopy, 3k worth of add ons - suspension, winch etc etc for 15k 2 1/2 years ago.
Now i could get over 25k.

I really want a 200 series and it is in my budget, but the fuel consumption is just too much.
Would like your input on that one too if possible.

I have read a lot of reviews from owners for my picks and the worst of the bunch is actually the Everest.
The pick is the Paj, but I just wanted some feedback from the guys on here that are true 4by owners and users.

Cheers mate.
FollowupID: 922099

Reply By: Riff - Thursday, Jan 05, 2023 at 12:14

Thursday, Jan 05, 2023 at 12:14
Thanks everyone,
Really appreciate the feedback.

Cheers
AnswerID: 642516

Reply By: Gbc.. - Friday, Jan 06, 2023 at 06:22

Friday, Jan 06, 2023 at 06:22
I wouldn’t wish a 2015-2018 Toyota 2.8 diesel hilux/fortuner/prado on anybody. There is a good reason that there are class actions for those models. We had an awful run with hiluxs of that age.
AnswerID: 642524

Follow Up By: Riff - Friday, Jan 06, 2023 at 10:44

Friday, Jan 06, 2023 at 10:44
Oh crap,
What were the issues if you don't mind me asking bud.
FollowupID: 922102

Follow Up By: Gbc.. - Friday, Jan 06, 2023 at 11:18

Friday, Jan 06, 2023 at 11:18
Dpf system wasn’t built correctly. Rectified in later models but the years you are looking at are the bad ones. We got 3 new utes out of Toyota they were that bad - we could demonstrate that they had cost us more in down time than the cost of the vehicles. Nearlt 100 trips back to the dealer between them either in limp mode or on a tilt tray for forced regens, multiple new dpfs, and god knows how many ‘upgrades’ and being told anything but the truth by the dealers - that was the hard part - being told it was our fault.
FollowupID: 922103

Follow Up By: Riff - Friday, Jan 06, 2023 at 12:08

Friday, Jan 06, 2023 at 12:08
Could you do a dpf delete on them if that was the only issue
FollowupID: 922105

Follow Up By: Gbc.. - Friday, Jan 06, 2023 at 12:46

Friday, Jan 06, 2023 at 12:46
Fines are too high for company vehicles. Plus they were in warranty. Yes though, a delete would solve a lot of problems. The poisonous white smoke they belched out wasn’t exactly environmentally friendly in any event.
FollowupID: 922106

Reply By: Member - peter g28 - Saturday, Jan 07, 2023 at 23:44

Saturday, Jan 07, 2023 at 23:44
Ok, I am a Pajero owner..
But..I was was getting diesel @ Aileron and a NT police patrol car pulled up along side me and started filling up.
We had a chat..the basic crux of the conversation..
After he finished his shift he was heading down to Adelaide for a week to get himself a Pajero..
Why you may ask..
Well the copper was saying apart from the Highway patrol car he was driving..everytime he goes to get the Pajero put out of the police yard to go and do the community road rounds..the Cruisers and the Pajero are gone and all it left is the Prado..
He hasn't any thing against the Prado..but on the dirt..nothing he said in standard trim will beat a Pajero on the dirt at speed.
His speed he was talking about...above 140km on dirt chasing a few ratbags out on the communities..
He mentioned.."you put a Paj in high 4wd and wind it up to 160k+ and it will stick to a gravel road like the proverbial to a baby's blanket..mate, it's a weapon..
Nah, he said...the cruise is nice..but too heavy..handles like a bucket of bolts at high speed on dirt..Prado is a marginally better..but it has a tendency to wobble on the back end over 140kph on dirt..couple of the Boyz had one or two Prado's fall over on their side..but the Paj..all the blokes luv' em..
The Paj is decent on the tarmac..but on the dirt..
He went on..."I kept up to an idiot in a stolen Ford Raptor out of Alice Springs @ 170kph+ out the back of Gemtree..it was priceless, the fool didn't know I was right behind him!!"..
"I'm going to the auctions in Adelaide next week to get my hands on a Paj, there is a couple out of the Katherine fleet".."but I will have to fight a few of my SA cop mates to get one.."
So when I got back into civilisation I checked out the SA and Police 4wd vehicles when I was travelling around..
Cruisers and Pajero's..sprinkled with a few Prado's..
The Pajero is bloody decent tow vehicle..why?..it has a basic 5 speed auto with it's own seperate oil cooler..3.2 ltr 4M41 diesel motor..with both combinations have been around for over 25+years..
I tow a hard floor campertrailer...max weight 1600kg...13ltrs per 100kph %@ 100kph as an average..without..8.5Ltrs per 100km @ 100kph.. with the go peddle down..worst..11 to 12ltrs per100km..but I was at 140kph along the Barkly Highway to into Threeways.
Granted..the Paj is showing its age in the bling department when compared to the other medium 4wds in the market place.
The Paj has a shed load going for it...spare parts are pretty reasonable priced...any decent 4wd mechanic from Darwin down to Launceston know how to work on..you can get after market stuff for your Paj..ie lift kits..etc ...and when compared to the Prado..the Paj is a steal.
The big thing..you can see out of the Paj..there no cramped thick C and B Pilars that you have on the modern 4wds..that seen to have the roof enclosing down on to you.
The Paj's party trick is its' all "Superselect 4wd "system..which means you can drive around in 4H from 2WD with 4wd to all wheels without getting "diff windup". Plus have the benefits of having a complete centre diff lock when needed in 4wd low range..
Where as with other manufacturers, if you did this the vehicle will suffer from "diff windup" and you can stuff the drive train..
I believe it is only now that the 2023 Ford Ranger will have this type of 4wd system...but it maybe an option on the high spec Ranger models.
My Paj was in East Arhemland for 4 years and did not miss a beat..where the 79's and 100 & 200 Cruisers went..my 2" lifted Paj followed with a few wheel lifts..and got to the same places.
Granted like all vehicles..especially with diesel 4wd's..regular maintenance with fuel and oil filters.
Mine nearly 300,000km..and still going.
Yep..between the $20k to $30k price bracket..for a medium full 4wd with complete centre diff low range...you will be hard pressed to go past a Paj.
AnswerID: 642544

Follow Up By: Riff - Monday, Jan 09, 2023 at 15:16

Monday, Jan 09, 2023 at 15:16
What year model are we talking bud?
FollowupID: 922159

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Monday, Jan 09, 2023 at 16:51

Monday, Jan 09, 2023 at 16:51
The Pajero 4WD Club forum is a good place to get a feel for the various incarnations of the Pajero. Essentially the models to go for are Gen 4.2 (NT), 4.3 (NW) and 4.4 (NX). The DPF was dropped sometime in the NT model run and reintroduced in later NX models. The transmission was changed to the Aisin transmission in the NT. Later NX models with the DPF have a different diff ratio and a drop in power from 147kw to 141kw. There are only minor cosmetic changes through the model line, options that may be fitted include a multimedia system with reversing camera, rear diff lock, HID headlights, sun roof, heated leather seats. There are five airbags incl side curtain airbags but no under dash air bag, no adaptive cruise control, no blind spot alerts. Mine doesn't have the multimedia system, but it seems to be considered not very good with dodgy and complicated blue tooth connectivity. I've the pov version of radio only but with steering controls, bluetooth works perfectly for phone, streaming and navigation. The fuel tank is a reasonable 88L compared to the usually smaller tanks on the ute to wagon conversions, it doesn't come close to the fuel tank in a Prado. You can get a 60L aux tank from several vendors or a 128L replacement tank from ARB. The vehicles have both
IRS and IFS. I reckon they drive and handle superbly but I did come from an agricultural GQ patrol.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 922161

Reply By: Alan H11 - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2023 at 08:37

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2023 at 08:37
When we bought our current vehicle we short-listed a Prado, a Montero (= Pajero where we live), and a JK Wrangler. The Prado offered nothing more than the Montero but was DOUBLE the price. We're happy with the Montero, and have driven it 45,000 km around Australia (including the Simpson, GRR, and a lot of other "interesting" places), as well as travelling around Colombia, where Monteros are well-respected.

We've owned an earlier Pajero, a 4Runner, a Gelandewagen, a Patrol, a Pathfinder, two X Trails, a Land Cruiser 80, and four Jeeps.
AnswerID: 642642

Sponsored Links