BPL & HF radio

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 09, 2004 at 00:20
ThreadID: 18423 Views:3026 Replies:10 FollowUps:29
This Thread has been Archived
Have a look at this
http://www.vks737.on.net/pdfs/bpl_flyer.pdf
As it says in the story all the expensive stuff will just become another ornament on the mantelpiece.
There are links to all sorts of things to do with VKS737 topics
One good link to MP's to try and stop BPL

Leave nothing but footprints and take nothing but photos
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Thursday, Dec 09, 2004 at 00:29

Thursday, Dec 09, 2004 at 00:29
Sorry to say you must have been asleep of late.
This has been pounded into the ground lately.

But I am sure someone will find the info new and interesting. Yawn.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 87894

Reply By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Thursday, Dec 09, 2004 at 00:32

Thursday, Dec 09, 2004 at 00:32
g'day Cabbage, it's been discussed here already, do a search. Most of us are BPL'd out.
AnswerID: 87895

Reply By: David Au - Thursday, Dec 09, 2004 at 08:27

Thursday, Dec 09, 2004 at 08:27
the contents of that PDF file is generally diatribe
pity they could not put some truthful and useful facts and point out all the benefits of BPL
Thankfully BPL is a fact of life and will benefit 1½ million rural Australians.
BPL is a happening and the sooner the roll-out is completed the better.
No handful of selfish antiquated HF users is going to stand in the way of technology and benefit to so many people. HF is tired and outdated.
AnswerID: 87900

Follow Up By: Banjo (SA) - Thursday, Dec 09, 2004 at 10:18

Thursday, Dec 09, 2004 at 10:18
Dave - you seem so rabid in your stance that I can only assume that are suffering a personality disorder (or you are hoping to make money from BPL ?)- ever heard the words "tolerance - choice - goodwill" ? Why do you brand people you don't even know as selfish, antiquated people who offer diatribe and stand in the way ? There might well be merit in aspects your arguement - get with it - learn how to communicate effectively.... its what this forum is for.
FollowupID: 346766

Follow Up By: Pluto - Thursday, Dec 09, 2004 at 10:23

Thursday, Dec 09, 2004 at 10:23
David,

One important fact that you have sadly overlooked is that HF communications in the outback has and continues to save lives.

I can't imagine BPL will ever contribute to such an important service.
FollowupID: 346767

Follow Up By: Member - Paul J (ACT) - Thursday, Dec 09, 2004 at 11:00

Thursday, Dec 09, 2004 at 11:00
David Au,
New technology is great, and so is old technology, and it's sometimes old technology that leads to new technology (breath)
Maybe you are "tired and outdated"!
FollowupID: 346771

Follow Up By: Pluto - Thursday, Dec 09, 2004 at 11:26

Thursday, Dec 09, 2004 at 11:26
New technology vs Old technology isn't an argument...

The wheel is old technology. Do you see it being outmoded simply for the sake of change?
FollowupID: 346775

Follow Up By: warthog - Thursday, Dec 09, 2004 at 11:32

Thursday, Dec 09, 2004 at 11:32
David Anal Unit,
You're probably right a relatively small number of HF users are probably unable to preserve their right to use a cheap and effective service in the face of the multinationals quest for more profit.
FollowupID: 346779

Follow Up By: Member - Paul J (ACT) - Thursday, Dec 09, 2004 at 11:37

Thursday, Dec 09, 2004 at 11:37
New technology vs Old technology isn't an argument, didnt say it was
The wheel is old technology. Do you see it being outmoded simply for the sake of change?
Id like to see that, would be interesting..
FollowupID: 346782

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Thursday, Dec 09, 2004 at 12:03

Thursday, Dec 09, 2004 at 12:03
Transmitting radio frequency into a wire isn't new technology, it's been around since Marconi and the way it's proposed here is very very dirty technology.
FollowupID: 346792

Follow Up By: Member - Paul J (ACT) - Thursday, Dec 09, 2004 at 12:16

Thursday, Dec 09, 2004 at 12:16
My follow up is directed to the one handed typer, David Au and his attitude "No handful of selfish antiquated HF users is going to stand in the way of TECHNOLOGY and benefit to so many people."
and the way he is proposing it here is very very dirty ....
FollowupID: 346797

Follow Up By: Pluto - Thursday, Dec 09, 2004 at 12:52

Thursday, Dec 09, 2004 at 12:52
David,

Surely you have to agree that the search for a better way of providing broadband to the outback is worthwhile.

Disrupting such a valuable communications system as HF will ulimately reduce the "1½ million rural Australians" capability to keep in touch.

Ultimately BPL interference will intrude on the HF band as other countries, that do not value HF communications as highly as Australians, introduce the technology. That doesn't mean we have to muddy the HF waters.
FollowupID: 346811

Follow Up By: Member - Paul J (ACT) - Thursday, Dec 09, 2004 at 12:55

Thursday, Dec 09, 2004 at 12:55
Once again,
My follow up is directed to the one handed typer, David Au and his attitude "No handful of selfish antiquated HF users is going to stand in the way of TECHNOLOGY and benefit to so many people."
and the way he is proposing it here is very very dirty
FollowupID: 346813

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Friday, Dec 10, 2004 at 22:23

Friday, Dec 10, 2004 at 22:23
But ONE selfish narow-minded retailer of sat phones is trying to.
FollowupID: 347137

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Dec 11, 2004 at 11:57

Saturday, Dec 11, 2004 at 11:57
Guys,

He's just winding you up. Theres no need to stoop to name calling ( I am sure Au is a reference to (1) the sadly underrated Falcon recently replaced by the wildly succesful BA - or (2) maybe just Australia, but I doubt that) as this lowers us all to the wind-up mentality David is exploiting here magnificantly. Just read the post and if its a rant then overlook it, or laugh, like Ray does. David's just an Over Zealous Individual, thats why people refer to him as OZI.

Life is too short, go Toyo.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 347177

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Saturday, Dec 11, 2004 at 17:15

Saturday, Dec 11, 2004 at 17:15
Bonz,

I wasn't really stooping to name calling, just using David Au's own words

He wrote-
"BPL is a happening and the sooner the roll-out is completed the better.
No handful of selfish antiquated HF users is going to stand in the way of technology and benefit to so many people. HF is tired and outdated. "

-So I wrote "but one selfish, narowminded etc...."

You can thereby see his riduculous name calling for exactly what is is.

David O
FollowupID: 347205

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Dec 11, 2004 at 17:20

Saturday, Dec 11, 2004 at 17:20
My stooping comment wasnt pointed at you David O, but at Warthog. Thanks for replying mate, and for thinking.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 347208

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Saturday, Dec 11, 2004 at 17:36

Saturday, Dec 11, 2004 at 17:36
It appears that Ozi doesn't wish to use his "right of reply" to the critics of his post. He obviously has no answers.
FollowupID: 347214

Follow Up By: David Au - Saturday, Dec 11, 2004 at 18:26

Saturday, Dec 11, 2004 at 18:26
Maddog pretty simple actually - not one intelligent question or response that needs an answer. I let peoples responses when there is nothing intelligent stated to do the speaking.
Do you think there is an intelligent meaningful question there that warrants an answer?
FollowupID: 347218

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Saturday, Dec 11, 2004 at 23:25

Saturday, Dec 11, 2004 at 23:25
>Maddog pretty simple actually - not one intelligent question or response that needs an answer. I let peoples responses when there is nothing intelligent stated to do the speaking.
Do you think there is an intelligent meaningful question there that warrants an answer?

Maddog will no doubt come up with his own intelligent questions- but here are several that have been raised that you seem reluctant to answer.

What will BPL provide that can't be provided by other better more effective means?

Why do harm to HF when it is possible to provide the same service without harming HF?

Where do you get your 1/2 million outback numbers from?

How do you believe broadband would be provided to the outback via BPL when it is clear the technology will only work in high population areas on short runs and not via the typical SWER lines utilised in much of the outback?

Oh and how about, why should the power companies be exempt from the laws everyone else who could have thought of similar technolgy and DID many years ago be excluded from the very restrictions that stopped simialr technolgy. Why should power companies be allowed to do what the rest of us couldn't, because of regulations that were in effect and now seem irrelivent because large sums of money can be made by those who make the laws?

Sorry if these questions seem unintelligent to you.

FollowupID: 347249

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Sunday, Dec 12, 2004 at 13:50

Sunday, Dec 12, 2004 at 13:50
I thought there were some very pertinent points in the thread also David O and you have listed some of them but it would seem that ozi can't differentiate the wheat from the chaff probably because of his lack of understanding of the matter under discussion so I didn't intend to waste time on it.
FollowupID: 347276

Reply By: Pilbara Wayne - Thursday, Dec 09, 2004 at 18:49

Thursday, Dec 09, 2004 at 18:49
If we seriously wanted to help the one and half million rural australians shouldnt we be asking our governments to spend money on upgrading and sealing outback roads, giving adequate funding to the RFDS, supplying health services to remote areas, improving educational opportunities in remote areas etc etc.

I'm sure that remote communities and outback stations would prefer these to BPL.

Maybe then we wouldnt need to use HF nor would we need 4WD as all the roads would be sealed and more people would have access to the areas we like to visit. There would be better access to adequate health services in the case of an accident and the RFDS would be adequately funded to come and get you if necessary.

Surely there are other alternatives to BPL? What about satellite technology? Amazingly some "remote" places arent remote when it comes to access to telecommunications. Bidyadanga Remote Community School (approx 2 hours south of Broome) has access to 10Mb/s internet access because as Telstra said "They're not remote... we have a fibre optic cable running right past the school"

Food for thought maybe.

Cheers

Wayne

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 88010

Reply By: hl - Thursday, Dec 09, 2004 at 21:11

Thursday, Dec 09, 2004 at 21:11
Hi,

If you think BPL is the panacea to outback broadband, you really don't have a clue.
It still needs infrastructure like fibreoptic or satellite to make it work in remote communities. No, you can't "inject" data in Brisbane and have full broadband internet in Windorah.
You need a fibre, microwave or other link to go there first, and then you can possibly provide BPL internet there by feeding it loacally into there power system. But why would you bother feeding it into the power grid then. One wireless access station fed from those links would do the same thing there WITHOUT polluting the HF spectrum.
Besides, with all the concern about RF radiation, who wants to live in a house that is absolutely saturated with RF just to get the internet!

Cheers
AnswerID: 88042

Reply By: Waynepd (NSW) - Thursday, Dec 09, 2004 at 22:26

Thursday, Dec 09, 2004 at 22:26
Hey Guys can you spell troll

D.A.V.I.D. A.U.
AnswerID: 88058

Reply By: Banjo (SA) - Friday, Dec 10, 2004 at 14:45

Friday, Dec 10, 2004 at 14:45
Cab - I see David AU emerges in post 18445 as a seeming retailer of electronic equipment - seems economic self interest may be behind his uncompromising and confrontational attitude toward HF users - maybe he sells satphones ?
AnswerID: 88170

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Friday, Dec 10, 2004 at 22:21

Friday, Dec 10, 2004 at 22:21
Yes. My previous request to him to declare his interest got know response.
FollowupID: 347136

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Friday, Dec 10, 2004 at 22:28

Friday, Dec 10, 2004 at 22:28
damn one two many wines and a few too many kilometres today

that should have read "NO response"
FollowupID: 347139

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Dec 11, 2004 at 11:59

Saturday, Dec 11, 2004 at 11:59
Maybe "know" response is telling.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 347178

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Saturday, Dec 11, 2004 at 17:18

Saturday, Dec 11, 2004 at 17:18
Yes..it got the response I knew it would. Definitely a Freudian slip!

David O
FollowupID: 347207

Reply By: Skinny- Friday, Dec 10, 2004 at 15:28

Friday, Dec 10, 2004 at 15:28
I can't help it, it must be the conspiriacy thing in me. I am sure that the gov would prefer us on Sat phone . HF gives us too much freedom and harder to track tot he metre. National Security you know. Don't think it happens. I had my email censored when I mailed from China some years ago.

Skinny
AnswerID: 88181

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Friday, Dec 10, 2004 at 22:27

Friday, Dec 10, 2004 at 22:27
LOL well I wouldn't put it past them, but I'd be branded paranoid LOL

Seriously though, the real conspiracy, I believe, is the conspiracy to increase the value of the current infrastructure....I smell privatisation in the air.

Oh and Skinny, some advice mate...

just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me

:-)

Cheers
David O
FollowupID: 347138

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Saturday, Dec 11, 2004 at 07:17

Saturday, Dec 11, 2004 at 07:17
All traffic, e-mail, fax, landline telephone, mobile telephone, satellite telephone, the full HF radio spectrum and probably VHF/UHF frequencies at a local level when required are already monitored by the Australian, NZ, USA, UK and Canadian governments using a _very_ sophisticated system called Echelon and have been for more than thirty years.

So every phone call you make, every HF voice contact you make will be fed through the filter systems and the dictionary computers and if you're a target of the system will, eventually, end up in front of a human for analysis.

Think I'm paranoid eh...?
http://www.echelonwatch.org/

Perhaps you would care to ask your MP about it or ask the national newspaper and TV/radio news/current affairs editors why they are not running stories on Echelon?

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 347158

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Saturday, Dec 11, 2004 at 08:35

Saturday, Dec 11, 2004 at 08:35
Some public broadcasters have run stories on Echelon though they have not been widely syndicated that's true. I doubt HF is fed through the Echelon filters, but there is no doubt about phone conversations. Every citizen can rebel against this system quite easily though. If in every conversation every wise citizen included several target filter words, then the system would rapidly clog. I would make some suggestions, but I am sure you can come up with your own combinations of words.

Have fun!

FollowupID: 347161

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Saturday, Dec 11, 2004 at 11:18

Saturday, Dec 11, 2004 at 11:18
>I doubt HF is fed through the Echelon filters

I would have thought it was an absolute dead cert. that HF _is_ monitored. Otherwise there would be a form of world wide comms. available which could easily use voice code and has very wide availability of cheap, portable, transceivers. That would be a big hole in their coverage.

Would be interesting though to use a simple digital encoding on HF with FSK and some frequency hopping - wonder if the bastards are programmed to sort that out? Could also vary the frequency of the FSK and the hop time for extra fun :) Should be easy to do with a modern amateur set with remote control capability. Probably as simple as a Windows script.

Mike Harding

mike_harding@fastmail.fm
FollowupID: 347173

Reply By: Banjo (SA) - Saturday, Dec 11, 2004 at 07:56

Saturday, Dec 11, 2004 at 07:56
Dave-au emerges again in post 18452 speaking with authority on fridge maintenance. Might he be into camping and outdoors retailing ? Still reckon he's a satphone agent !
AnswerID: 88295

Follow Up By: David Au - Saturday, Dec 11, 2004 at 14:09

Saturday, Dec 11, 2004 at 14:09
Banjo, sorry, never ever been into retailing anything, let alone camping or outdoor gear. Never been involved in any way with selling/agent/commissions for satellite phones. None of those things could make you a five figure salary.

I do sell solar panels and associated gear and a few other little things to help people get good prices like Anderson plugs. However, that is only part of my profession.
FollowupID: 347189

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Saturday, Dec 11, 2004 at 17:26

Saturday, Dec 11, 2004 at 17:26
I would have thought there were plenty of guys making five figures at least from just such retailing, but we are digressing.

What say we wind this little thread up. I did make some suggestions re playing around with Echelon in a post that seemed to dissappear...maybe big brother is watching....or maybe I'm paranoid and just failed to hit the submit button. I'll test my paranoia.

I'd suggest that Echelon assumes some sort of normal background normality about the types of conversations, and the filters are set so as to not be too sensitive and therby jam the system up with huge workloads. Its is easy then to see how the system could be choked if enough people gave a damn about it.

Now I think my ASIO file just grew by leaps and bounds :-)

FollowupID: 347211

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Saturday, Dec 11, 2004 at 23:51

Saturday, Dec 11, 2004 at 23:51
My dog could make five figures appearing in radio commercials
:-)
FollowupID: 347251

Reply By: Cabbage - Monday, Dec 13, 2004 at 00:03

Monday, Dec 13, 2004 at 00:03
Just a small thought ,coz I'm old and can't think too well any more.
As I live in Brisbane at the moment , if Energex do the usual this year and we have lots of "power outages" [nice PC phrase that] does this mean that we wont have the I/net via BPL ?????????????????????.

Leave nothing but footprints & take nothing but photos
AnswerID: 88437

Sponsored Links