78 series RV Troopie advice.

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 21:07
ThreadID: 28903 Views:2689 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Gday All,

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with the RV (5 seat) model Landcruiser Troopie?

What I would like to know is if people have used one of these vehicles with a child seat in the back and did they find it a pain putting the child (baby) in and out via the front passenger seat.

I think from memory the front passenger seat swivels sideways to gain access to the rear seats. Not even sure if they have anchor points in the rear for child seats?

I am just trying to weigh up my options, as the only other vehicle I will consider is a new 4.2DX Patrol but am very concerned about the constant overheating problems everyone seems to have!!!

Your comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
Chris.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Darryn - Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 08:58

Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 08:58
Hi Chris, first find you have to find one!! I haven't had any expirience with a baby in one but it would be hard work as you (or your wife) would have to climb in the back to do it and they don't have anchor points. In the 5 seat RV models both front buckets only slide forward with the seat back folding down at the same time, its the 6 seat Troopies that have the swivelling front seat. I was told this week that Toyota are thinking of dropping the Troopie from the range in Oz and that they are very hard to get. If you are in Victoria there are 5 RV TD troopies being changed over by the State Emergency Service at the moment. Apparently SES has been trying to get the new ones since the middle of the year. I don't know whats happening to them but they are part of the police fleet so they will go to whoever handles the police disposals in Victoria. All will have ARB steel BBars, Thomas PTO Winches, HR or Toyota H/D Towbars, Milford Cargo Barriers and possibly roofracks. The one I have been involved with is 3 yrs old and has done 16,700 km and I can't imagine the others would have too much more on them. Any further questions please ask and good luck. Cheers Darryn
AnswerID: 144120

Reply By: Michael B - Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 09:11

Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 09:11
Mornin' Catfish,

Our baby days are long gone, but I reckon it would be a real PITA on a continual basis, unless you or mum have extra long arms.

You are right, the front seat does swivel to allow access to the back seat but even so t'would be a long reach to put bubs in a capsule.

Have taken our back seat out now but my mother could not even get up into the back, true she is short and stumpy,,,,and over 80 but !!!

Not much help sorry, reckon a 4 door would be your best bet but having said that why not pop down to the local Tojo shop and try it.

Regards

Michael B (SA)
AnswerID: 144122

Sponsored Links