Simpson Desert in September/October

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 28, 2006 at 07:09
ThreadID: 38112 Views:4334 Replies:9 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
How hot?
How many flies?
Rain?

The way my annuals fall, if I don't go in Sept/Oct 2007, I won't get another chance to do the Simpson in May-August (which is when I'd prefer to go) for about 4 years..

Cheers and beers
Rich
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter 2 - Thursday, Sep 28, 2006 at 07:45

Thursday, Sep 28, 2006 at 07:45
It can be done, we've about 15 or 16 trips out there over the years, two in the time you propose and both times swore never again.
The heat was the biggest thing, both times in the very high 40's during the day, sand like powder and very soft.
The strain on the vehicle is huge, the aircon is really struggling in those temps when trying to climb dunes and one afternoon we had to travel without it as the vehicle was overheating.
You should travel very early in the day if possible under these conditions and rest up during the heat of the day, there is no escaping the heat though. Flies weren't a problem, too bloody hot.
You could also be very lucky and get a few cooler days but these are a rarity.
Definitely do not travel alone, vehicle breakdown could in an extreme cost lives.
Take much more water than recommended as you will drink heaps due to being in the dry aircon or outside.
It goes without saying that the vehicle must be in tip top condition, tyres also and carry spares for both as they will take a hammering.
AnswerID: 196897

Reply By: Grunt Oxn - Thursday, Sep 28, 2006 at 07:49

Thursday, Sep 28, 2006 at 07:49
Depends on what you call hot. I'd be expecting days over 35 easily. I just returned from there and the days are warm now say 30 - 35C, but cold snaps can an do happen. If I was out there and it rained I'd count myself lucky, it's very unlikely.
Even though you could expect some hotter weather then it's not going to be at the extreme so go for it and have a good one.
Joe
AnswerID: 196898

Reply By: Member - Ian S (NT) - Thursday, Sep 28, 2006 at 08:12

Thursday, Sep 28, 2006 at 08:12
Hi RichieK,

Lots of folk travel in the Sept/Oct period as it is the last of the Aussie holidays and generally the season ends mid October. It starts to warm up from September with potentially high 30's low 40's into October. In my short experience out here we also get cold fronts cooling the place down, so it isn't consistently hot.

We travelled across the desert last November and it was surprisingly pleasant and this year we will be out in the desert for most of October.

When it is consistently in mid to high 30's low 40's, the sand starts to roll and traction decreases. Travel early in the morning is much easier.

Plenty of water, a greater allocation of fuel and good communications (HF or Satphone) are imperiative. During the holidays there should be plenty of traffic both ways.

Enjoy
Ian @ Mt Dare
AnswerID: 196900

Reply By: Member - Vincent A M (NSW) - Thursday, Sep 28, 2006 at 08:16

Thursday, Sep 28, 2006 at 08:16
We went last year about this time (see old trip log) & it was so hot & uncomfortable & the bugs were unbelievable that the time we were going to take halved as the most comfortable place to be was in the truck. it did not even cool off at night like usual. My daughter still reckons that the brass plaque at popples corner is still burnt in to her bottom when i sat her on it for a photo.
The sand was soft, we had No problems but others we meet were having problems
there was not a lot of life about to see (usually see a lot more) made it to Birdsville pub to watch the grand final
It was still a good trip, my son & i will do it again, but I would try an go a lot earlier. But my wife who has camped & travelled all over with me for over 20 years, killed it for her. When i travel next year straight across east-west as I did in 1977 it looks like its just the boys
Good Luck it all depends on the whether you get
AnswerID: 196901

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (SA) - Thursday, Sep 28, 2006 at 08:31

Thursday, Sep 28, 2006 at 08:31
Hi Rich,
Having travelled the Simpson many times, I would personally put it of for reasons above. You will not think much of the desert, as it will not be inviting to get out and enjoy the areas that you are travelling. Because of the heat, the sand will be very dry and this will sap more power from your vehicle thank you realise, making you uses more fuel than normal. Even in May, you will get a few hot days, (We had 5 days over 40ºC in May this year)

There is such a lot to see out there and I would go when the weather is cooler and inviting for you to get out and see the desert features.

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 196906

Reply By: cowpat - Thursday, Sep 28, 2006 at 09:50

Thursday, Sep 28, 2006 at 09:50
Rich, we went through in October last year, it was great. Very quiet, only people we saw were the volunteer rangers at Dalhousie Springs and then a German couple at Big Red. Yes it is hot, but we'd been in the centre for a few weeks already and were mostly accustomed to it. The only annoyance was the large number of mozzies at Dalhousie - take a popup mozzie tent with you and don't count on swimming in the springs. Take the usual gear and hire a sat phone at Mt Dare or Birdsville, just in case. Casper
AnswerID: 196918

Reply By: RichieK - Thursday, Sep 28, 2006 at 14:42

Thursday, Sep 28, 2006 at 14:42
Thanks for all the replies, people! It seems to be a mixed bag of experiences so I will try to get my annual leave brought forward by a month or so..would hate to miss out on the great outdoors aspect of it by being too hot or too many flies/mozzies (been dying for a dalhousie springs dip for about 25 years...)

Cheers and beers
Rich

AnswerID: 196967

Follow Up By: Member - Vincent A M (NSW) - Thursday, Sep 28, 2006 at 18:14

Thursday, Sep 28, 2006 at 18:14
still do the dip at dalhousie but be prepared for the lice that bite 4 of us swam for hours & only 1 got bitten badly or reacted badly ruth at birdsville caravan park offen comments about it
FollowupID: 455406

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Thursday, Sep 28, 2006 at 18:22

Thursday, Sep 28, 2006 at 18:22
Rich,

We did it in Oct a couple of years ago on our way home from Alice, the Rock etc.

I was pretty worried on the way up to Alice as we had a couple of days in the low to mid 40's.

When we did the SD it was not that bad. We had gotten used to it a bit and it had cooled down. We had rain one night in the desert and even though I am not one given to wearing jumpers I had mine on for an hour or so in the morning.

We had one night at Mt Dare so were at Dalhousie for lunch and a swim. It was warm and the water was a little hotter than I would have liked but it was still nice.

If you are sensible you should be fine. If it does get too hot travel early and rest in the afternoon and you should be OK.

Now "The way my annuals fall" sounds familiar. You don't ride around in Big Red Trucks for a living do you?

Duncs
AnswerID: 197005

Follow Up By: RichieK - Thursday, Sep 28, 2006 at 19:00

Thursday, Sep 28, 2006 at 19:00
Thanks Duncs for the desert advice - I'm still going to try to bring the annuals forward if I can and yes, I do drive around in big red trucks - well spotted! I presume you do or have done the same???? Fill me in!

Cheers and beers
Rich
FollowupID: 455419

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Thursday, Sep 28, 2006 at 23:38

Thursday, Sep 28, 2006 at 23:38
Yeah Rich I still travel in BRT's

NSWFB out here at beautiful 238 Stn

Duncs
FollowupID: 455515

Follow Up By: RichieK - Friday, Sep 29, 2006 at 05:59

Friday, Sep 29, 2006 at 05:59
55 Stn here, have heard a few good stories about getting transferred out your way - would be a good way to get a bit closer to the outback, hey? It's not a 10/14 station is it?

I've still got traces of green slime on my shoulders - only been out of the college about 10 weeks..getting ready for a busy summer..

Have a good one
Rich
FollowupID: 455537

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Saturday, Oct 07, 2006 at 13:27

Saturday, Oct 07, 2006 at 13:27
Yeah Rich, it is 10/14 out here and it is closer to the outback.

I would have gotten back to you sooner but I had to go and make sure the good folk at Innamincka were not too lonely. I also had to check the water temp in Cooper Creek which I did repeatedly. It is just beautiful perfect swimming temp, for those who were wondering.

The only down side out here is career development but apart from that it's pretty good. Don't worry about the slime it will wash off after a couple of big jobs.

Duncs
FollowupID: 456854

Follow Up By: RichieK - Friday, Oct 13, 2006 at 10:32

Friday, Oct 13, 2006 at 10:32
You wouldn't have to twist my arm too much to get me out there for a year or two - will see how the wife likes the idea and take a number, stand in line etc etc

Code 4
Rich

FollowupID: 457758

Reply By: Member - Doug T (W.A) - Thursday, Sep 28, 2006 at 22:42

Thursday, Sep 28, 2006 at 22:42
Was in the Simpson 1997 last week Sept/1st week Oct and had a ball but the amount of travellers was beginning to vanish ,flies were ok lot of sand though

Doug
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 197067

Sponsored Links