Cargo space - 100 series vs Hilux with canopy

Submitted: Friday, Jun 20, 2008 at 22:46
ThreadID: 59040 Views:8629 Replies:10 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

With our second child on the way, we're going to need to upsize from our Liberty stationwagon since we'll no longer be able to use the unoccupied seats for storage. Can someone please compare the cargo area of an early 2000's 100 series (assume the third row seats are removed) vs an early 2000's Hilux dual-cab with canopy?

Thanks,

garbage
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Porl - Friday, Jun 20, 2008 at 23:06

Friday, Jun 20, 2008 at 23:06
sorry that this is not what you are seeking but I moved (maybe upgraded to some maybe downgraded to some) from a 2000 petrol prado to a 2000 Hilux dual cab diesel (143,000km) with a high top canopy. Holy cow the storage space in comparison to the prado with removed 3rd row is cavernous. I'd roughly say twice the cargo space - safely storing gear out of sight and smell from the passengers (never had and should have had a cargo barrier). Cost was similar to an ancient 80 series, MUCH easier to drive (that is if you drive within speed limits) and park than a 95 series prado let alone a 100 series wagon, bit of a downgrade in touchy feely buttons and gadgets (you could always shop for the SR5 which would fix this for the other half) but it is our cond vehicle and I saved money on the changeover. And i got two kids so the kind of agricultural character of the interior works well with the kicking and spilling. The baby/tethered booster seat connections are a pain in the behind but they work.
AnswerID: 311319

Follow Up By: garbage - Thursday, Jun 26, 2008 at 21:26

Thursday, Jun 26, 2008 at 21:26
Thanks for the reply! I'm starting to lean towards a Hilux dual cab. Don't care for the power windows, etc, but definitely need the storage space at the back.

A couple of questions:

- what is the approximate length of the tray?
- how many baby seat connectors are there? Could you fit two baby seats and one young child in the back seat?
- did you convert to LPG?
FollowupID: 578414

Follow Up By: Member - Porl - Monday, Jun 30, 2008 at 11:06

Monday, Jun 30, 2008 at 11:06
I'll do the measurements when I get home tonight.

There are two holes in the rear for babyseat connections. I have two in at the moment.

I reckon two baby seats and a small child would fit, though two baby seats and booster seat would probably not.

I haven't converted to LPG, can't rack up enough Km to justify. Though if the Qld gov gave a $2k rebate like WA I probably would have by now, if anything for emissions sake.

One issue is if you plan to do a lot of serious offroad work and bouncing out of ravines and stuff, don't get the any lux 99 - 2004 as these have the 7.5" diff and when one wheel in the air is raised and spinning and hits a firm surface, it's when not if that the diff breaks and a $2-$3k repair bill. I don't really do stuff that runs that risk but horses to courses. And that info is not first hand and I have not broken a diff, so even though I sound like I know what I'm talking about that comment is basically from other forums, but I'm not willing to test it.

Part of the reason i got the lux is they are going cheap and cheaper, ignore what people are trying to sell them for and wait for when one hasn't sold and make the offer. The guy I bought my 2000 5LE lux off with 140,000km in Jan this year got offered a trade in of $13k at jeep dealership. So if you find one for sale for $18k that's been for sale for a while, there's probably a good margin to bargain around with.

I still love it. Got a power chip and the dyno chart was posted on this forum, next is a mandrel header and that will do for me other than a sports exhaust when the existing needs replacement.
FollowupID: 579037

Follow Up By: Member - Porl - Monday, Jun 30, 2008 at 20:18

Monday, Jun 30, 2008 at 20:18
These are estimate figures cause there are a few places you could take the measurements from, like there is a cargo liner in mine and do you take it from the edge of the cargo liner or behind, and of course the canopy sits over the tray area so that's always going to give a bigger dimension than internal of the tray.

So, internal in the tray from cargo liner to rear fold down section, about 1.35m, sideways measurement from liner to liner 1.4m.

The height with the high top canopy is over 1.10m in most places but that varies a lot because of the support beams and curvature of the canopy.

Hope that helps. I unfortunately don't have 2 baby seats at home at the moment so couldn't test 2 plus a booster. But it's registered for 5 people so there'd be a middle seatbelt, but I don't expect you'd be able to tether a booster to the behind the seat.

Also, if this is going to be your only vehicle I must warn you getting the baby/booster seats untethered is a pain in the rse. As the seats are flush against the back of the seat, it's very hard to get the tension right, and when you want to undo them, it's very hard to get the tension undone. Possible, just really annoying. The baby safety capsule is dead easy cause the tethered strap is in two parts, but the next standard baby seat and tethered boosters are painful.

Hope that helps.
FollowupID: 579129

Follow Up By: garbage - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2008 at 08:42

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2008 at 08:42
Thanks - that's some really useful stuff!

I've heard that the ride comfort isn't as good as softroaders/cars - is that your feeling as well? I drive a 20 year old car currently, so maybe it won't even be noticeable.

It would mostly be used as the holiday/camping vehicle, and maybe some daily commuting.
FollowupID: 579215

Follow Up By: Member - Porl - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2008 at 09:17

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2008 at 09:17
Well the guy I bought it off made the IFS front end firmer he said, with some new shocks i suppose, and with the canopy on people say that adds the weight to stop the back bouncing around - even a bag of cement without the canopy will do the trick, if you find it noticeable. The ones I drove without a canopy or any weight seemed fine at the time.

So no, I find the ride perfectly comparable to my Toyota Echo and my previous 2000 RV6 prado. However, the engine is much noisier than either of those, but you get that with diesels and particularly the ones made .

Best to test drive a few.

I saw last night even the factory turbo's of 2000 are coming down ($20k) close to the price i bought my non-turbo at 6 months ago (damn), though the fuel economy jumps 20% with the turbo on I hear on forums. 12L/100km as to my average 10 or less/L 100km. I keep up with traffic fine, and I ain't in no rush anyhow.
FollowupID: 579223

Follow Up By: Member - Porl - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2008 at 09:21

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2008 at 09:21
oh, and i'd love to daily commute in my lux, i like the ride height, I like the feel of the gearbox, i even like the sound of the diesel engine cause I can hear it. And people ALWAYS let you in ... (obviously Top Gear fans)

It's just the bicycle is a lot cheaper for me at the moment and I am lucky enough to have bicycle lanes all the way to work ...
FollowupID: 579224

Follow Up By: garbage - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2008 at 18:15

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2008 at 18:15
I've been seeing a lot of Hilux owners with dreamy asking prices on their ads! Don't see many below $20k with plenty of mileage. Did you find that the actual selling prices of these were generally much lower than what they were originally asking?

I'm probably leaning towards a petrol model, with the view to do an LPG conversion. The diesel prices have been a bit scary as of late.
FollowupID: 579350

Follow Up By: Member - Porl - Friday, Jul 04, 2008 at 09:06

Friday, Jul 04, 2008 at 09:06
I saw a factory turbo diesel dual cab at $20k yesterday.

Lots of LN167R's like mine, 3.0D non-turbo, clearing in the mid to high teens.

I compare mine to my prado, 13 - 14l/100km on the road and hit high or low range and it jumps to 16l+/100km, high as 18 - 19. Swear in low range and bogged in sand you can see the damn petrol gauge move.

In the hilux I get 10 and 10 and 10 and 10 and sometimes 9. With my new chip i'm hoping for 8.

Now this is where the cluey maths comes in, here in Brisbane the diesel can be found at a staggering $186/L while the petrol is at a tantalising $1.68/L. But is this real economy? the economy I get on my hilux is at most time greater than 20% of my prado v6 petrol. But the percentile difference of $186 as to $168 is only 10.7%, so I'm actually 9.3% better off with the diesel. And I get further miles, and take it off road and the difference can be astronomical.

What you can do is go diesel/gas, the results are apparently more impressive than petrol/gas and least performance wise. Same rebates apply.

Anyhow, lots to think of there.
FollowupID: 579842

Follow Up By: Member - Porl - Friday, Jul 04, 2008 at 10:37

Friday, Jul 04, 2008 at 10:37
and one more, the one I bought in January was listed at $20,500, bought it for $18,000.

But he had his new vehicle parked beside it was was going overseas, perfect sort of situation for a buyer. Even after the test drive and I said I was interested he told me "he'd been rung by someone" who wanted to pay $19k straight away. I called his bluff and didn't move.

Due to the price of diesel I reckon you could get them down now a lot more. As I said, he confessed to me he'd been offered $13k for a trade in.

Mine had 140,000 km on the clock. But being a diesel, this makes it just about run in. Service history very very important.
FollowupID: 579851

Follow Up By: Member - Porl - Friday, Jul 04, 2008 at 16:19

Friday, Jul 04, 2008 at 16:19
Eg

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Automotive/Used-Cars/4WD-Utes/AdNumber=7994859?BackToResult=true

This would be a tradie that's probably been to the beach once or twice and made a squillion over the last few years non stop building houses and wants the new u beaut D4D ...
FollowupID: 579897

Reply By: donk - Friday, Jun 20, 2008 at 23:08

Friday, Jun 20, 2008 at 23:08
From memory the hilux will be approx 300mm longer in cargo area length than the 100 series but less roomy in the cabin in both length & width

Regards Don
AnswerID: 311320

Reply By: Crackles - Friday, Jun 20, 2008 at 23:13

Friday, Jun 20, 2008 at 23:13
Without actually running a tape measure over them I'd say the 100 is taller & wider but not as deep giving them a similar overall storage capacity. Importantly with the larger opening, the cruiser would give far better access to the gear, something we have trouble with reaching into the back of the work utes. Of course for maximum usable storage area a ute can be fixed by fitting a tray with side access etc.
Unusual comparison by the way as except for similar storage areas they have very little in common.
Cheers Craig..............
AnswerID: 311321

Follow Up By: Member - 25Left - Friday, Jun 20, 2008 at 23:48

Friday, Jun 20, 2008 at 23:48
I own both an '02 DC hilux with a canopy & a 100s & both are set-up with drawer systems. What the 100s looses in depth makes up for in width & may be a touch higher. As Craig said.... problem with the ute is reaching into the back of the tub to reach gear, but I had 'wing doors' fitted to the canopy which helps but access is still limited.
IMO if you NEED a ute get the hilux..... otherwise get the 100s. I loved my hilux until I (reluctantly) got the LC. I won't be going back to the hilux .... not now. :) They just don't compare.
Jase
FollowupID: 577354

Reply By: donk - Friday, Jun 20, 2008 at 23:18

Friday, Jun 20, 2008 at 23:18
If you want to compare the cargo length of various vehicles you can look at the lengths of storage drawers to suit each vehicles at sites like this

Site Link

Regards Don
AnswerID: 311323

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Saturday, Jun 21, 2008 at 01:16

Saturday, Jun 21, 2008 at 01:16
If you are looking for space the Courier/Bravo/Ranger/Bt50 has the longest tray in the dual cabs and more rear leg room. They have more rear seat leg room and are generally better value for the money as you don't have to pay extra for a Toyota badge to go on the bonnet.

I've been wrapped with mine, and having had to change over to the Patrol for heavy towing I'm really missing the space in the back. There's absolutely no way you could have fitted what we carried in the back touring with our two toddlers in the back of the Patrol or my brother in law's 100 series.

Drawers, fridge & a decent pram and a wagon is full. The ute will still carry that and have room for the rest of your gear.

Word of advice though, get lift up side windows on both sides of your canopy. Makes it soooooo much easier to pack and access your gear.

Dave
AnswerID: 311344

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Saturday, Jun 21, 2008 at 08:05

Saturday, Jun 21, 2008 at 08:05
Dave,

Mazda/Ford have actually taken a step backwards. The old Courier/Bravo will take a set of drawers 1500 long whereas the BT50/Ranger will only go 1400.

Jim.

FollowupID: 577369

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Sunday, Jun 22, 2008 at 00:32

Sunday, Jun 22, 2008 at 00:32
Huh. There you go. I hadn't noticed. They look very similar but I hadn't run a tape over them.

You can get a LOT of gear in the back of a Courier/Bravo with drawers. 1400 is still extremely deep compared with a 900mm deep wagon.

You can't match the sort of space that depth affords with a canopy, with a Patrol or Cruiser let alone a Prado.

Dave
FollowupID: 577519

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Jun 21, 2008 at 07:38

Saturday, Jun 21, 2008 at 07:38
My 100 Series has a mile more cargo space than a dual cab hilux ;)

Cheers Sir Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 311360

Reply By: Best Off Road - Saturday, Jun 21, 2008 at 08:02

Saturday, Jun 21, 2008 at 08:02
Garbo,

As I build drawers for a living, below are the numbers to give you something to work from.

Deck dimensions for our drawers are 100 series, 990 L x 1100 w. This is at 300 above the floor.

Dual Cabs vary depending on model and whether they have a tub liner, but work on about 1400 x 1050 as a rule of thumb.

The other thing to consider is the angle of the back seat in wagons means that the space is reduced the higher you go. Stacking stuff above the seats without a cargo barrier also has its dangers.

With a dual cab you can pack the thing to the brim, using common sense eg keep your gas bottles down low as you don't want then crashing through the rear window.

In practical terms, having recently gone from a wagon to a DC Ute, I find we can pack well over twice the gear we used to.

Hope this helps.

Jim.

AnswerID: 311362

Reply By: Member - Justin & Tracey (VIC) - Saturday, Jun 21, 2008 at 10:28

Saturday, Jun 21, 2008 at 10:28
we own a 2000 model hilux sr5 duel cab and also purchased a 2004 100 series land cruiser at xmas 07 just about to head off on our first big trip in the 100 i have made drawer systems for both of them the hilux definitely has more room in the tub than the 100 but 100 has more room in cab if u have young kids id say hilux but if they are over 10 id say 100 better. at least u can put a bigger roof rack on the 100. i have lift up side windows on the hilux canopy that does make access easier and u can always use the kids to get stuff u need anyway hope this helped.
AnswerID: 311398

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Thursday, Jun 26, 2008 at 22:00

Thursday, Jun 26, 2008 at 22:00
make sure you drive them beore making your descison.
Whilst the Hilux has superb ground clearance they are without doubt pre 05 the roughest riding things ever built. Even corragation my 80 wouldnt notice nearly throws the Missus 04 lux into the bushes. The stiffnss of the suspension also leads to zero wheel travel meaning it will pop a wheel in the air and scrabble even though there is plenty of potentiol travel
AnswerID: 312440

Reply By: John S (NSW) - Friday, Jun 27, 2008 at 00:03

Friday, Jun 27, 2008 at 00:03
Garbage,

We changed from a Triton dual cab V6 to a LC100 V8 earlier this year due to child #3.

Triton Pros
- With canopy & rack we had plenty of cargo space including drawers - to some degree too much space - wife would pack too much stuff
- Handled like a car - great city vehicle
- Very capable offroad with a heavy right foot required at times :)
- 2 kids in the back seat (4 & 6) was comfortable

Triton cons
- Whilst good on fuel, long range tank only holds 135ltrs
- Not enough space for baby capsul + the 2 boys
- Not much space in the back seat for adults

LC100 Pros
- Plenty of space for all 3 kids
- Very capable offroad without heavy right foot :)
- Good city vehicle - underground parking is a problem with lift kit and roof rack - 2.3m clearance
- Excelent accessories and options, like 280ltrs of onboard fuel

LC100 Cons
- Fuel consumption
- Less cargo space - but drawers help and you get more practicle with what you take

Realistically, we have not lost that much cargo space - just gotten smarter with how we pack, but we are all much more comfortable, and while I miss the Triton I do not regret the upgrade to the LC100.
AnswerID: 312464

Follow Up By: Krakka - Friday, Jun 27, 2008 at 05:09

Friday, Jun 27, 2008 at 05:09
Well said, having gone from a hilux d/cab to a 100 series ourselves 6yrs ago, would NEVER go back to a hilux. Cabin space, comfort, backseat comfort and space. NO comparison. If your only criteria is storage space, hilux maybe just in front. But loses on every other front.
FollowupID: 578456

Sponsored Links