Dual <span class="highlight">Battery</span>..err. <span class="highlight">Battery</span>!

Hi All,

Would appreciate some feedback/advice on the best battery for my situation:

GQ EFI Patrol - ARB battery cradle with Redarc isolator - self install.
Current battery Exide ST460 (95ah, 228l x 174w x 215h) which has been successfully killed by my old dual batt set-up (pre-redarc).

I need to get some good juicy amp hours to run my autofridge, light, cb..not much else. Can someone out there recommend a good quality deep cycle (or variation of deep cycle) for this purpose.

Probably should point out that the GQ sits on the drive 13 days out of 14.. and 4 or 5 times a year we head to the hills to reset the reality clock. Therefore you may want to advise me on best maintenance practice/devices etc.......

I Appreciate any or all feedback..
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 12:48

Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 12:48
Mine also sits in the garage between trips. To prevent early battery death, you need to keep them fully charged. I put my 3 batteries on a CTek charger every couple of weeks. I simply hook the CTek up to the outlets inside the vehicle.

The AGM doesn't take much but the two cranking batteries do. My preference is for cranking batteries under the bonnet and AGM in the canopy because they recharge quickly from the alternator. Haven't had much luck with wet cell deep cycle.

Your autofridge is the most efficient fridge I've seen. I travel a lot with someone who has the 39litre model, and on desert trips, its hardly running.
AnswerID: 343400

Follow Up By: Steffo - Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 13:24

Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 13:24
Thanks Phil G,

Yes the Autofridge is a winner... like all fridges there are many variables..pros and cons.. but I'm a very happy camper when i have the power to keep it ticking for the 4-6 hours it needs each day.

I have read about the Ctek's and it seems they're now on my shopping list - what a list it's becoming! thanks for the tip on that.

I have also read in this forum some great reviews of the AGM batteries - apprently they have one that will fit my cradle, but with less amp hours than the exide. Who else makes a battery worth considering?

Am i right in considering the amp-hours only for my application?
FollowupID: 611237

Sponsored Links