Gibb River Road - Itinerary

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 22:52
ThreadID: 65388 Views:9176 Replies:10 FollowUps:26
This Thread has been Archived
Hey guys

We have just put together a rough itinerary for our GRR trip in May/June. We will be towing a CT and while we want to see as much as possible we also want time chill out along the way.

Depart Karratha
Windjana Gorge - 2 nights
Bells Gorge/Silent Grove - 2 nights
Charnley Gorge - 2 nights
Manning Gorge - 2 nights
Mitchell Falls - 2 nights
Mitchell Plateau somewhere? - 1 night
Drysdale/Home Valley station - 1 night
El Questro - 5 nights
Kunnanara - 3 nights
Halls Creek - 1 night
Broome - 3 nights
Return Karratha

If anyone can give us any feedback/must see/dont bother it would be appreciated

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: wendys - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 23:27

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 23:27
Suggest you might be better off substituting a couple of nights at Mornington Wilderness Camp instead of Charnley. The drive to and from Mornington is very speccy. From the camp base at Mornington, you can go canoeing down Dimond Gorge (hire canoe), go to Sir John Gorge and Cadjeput Waterhole. Charnely's gorges etc, for me, are not in the same class. Mornington also gives an insight into current conservation and research efforts in those parts.
Mitchell Plateau somewhere - suggest King Edward River, near junction of Kalumburu and Mitchell Plateau roads. Good place to camp - and can swim.
Home Valley - a must. Their "bush camp" on banks of Pentecost - unreal views. Depending on what drives etc are available at Home Valley when you get there, you might want to stay an extra night there and cut a night off ElQ - time allocated there seems too much.
Have you considered the side trip into the Bungles? They are really something special.
You are trying to cover ground in a couple of weeks that it takes many travellers a couple of months! We've had 3 Kimberley visits now, of 4 weeks, 6 weeks and 9 weeks, the most recent in 2007. There is so much to see and enjoy. But as a 'preview trip" you are on the right track. However, this does not allow much chill time. Best chill places, I think, are Mt Barnett, ElQ, Kununurra and Broome.
AnswerID: 345800

Follow Up By: Colby - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 23:37

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 23:37
Wendy

Thanks for that. I forgot to include a day in there for The Bungles, a definate must. As for your other comments we will start looking into them.

Cheers
FollowupID: 613812

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 23:36

Saturday, Jan 24, 2009 at 23:36
Very personal....
Delete 1 Charnley.
Manning Gorge to Mitchell Falls is a big day.Camp at King Edward River crossing.
Add another night at the Falls.
Reduce El questro.
Add Parry Lagoon.
Add 5 Rivers Lookout at Wyndham.
Take a boat trip from dam to dam on the Ord.
Camp on the lower Ord.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome

AnswerID: 345801

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 00:25

Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 00:25
Hi Colby - Ours was similar - and we had no real time plan so stopped and stayed where we wanted to and had relaxing time. Often 100 kms per day was enough (between the sights as well as enough driving). Time frame was around about as below:

We left from Derby, but went back down the highway to go to Fitzroy Crossing to see Geikie Gorge. This is very different to the Gibb River Road gorges, and the DEC run boat cruise to see it is relatively cheap. Seen at this stage because we weren't coming back this way but continuing on into the NT.

First night after Geikie Gorge bush camped. Next day Tunnel Creek and Windjana Gorge for one night, long walk start early morning, leaving after the walk early afternoon.

We skipped going to Lennard Gorge due to size of or rig (although others did get in with similar)

Silent Grove one night - started walk early in morning before too hot

Charnley - two nights

Called in to Adcock Gorge and Galvans Gorge during the day before stopping at -

Manning Gorge (Mt Barnett Roadhouse) two nights. The long walk to the Upper Manning Gorge and Falls is a good one.

Day trip into Barnett River Gorge - nothing special. Camping no longer permitted (although people were camped there).

Drysdale River Station (homestead camp) one night

King Edward River Camp (my favourite) - three nights. Day trip to Mitchell Falls. We left the caravan and were going to camp at the Plateau, but didn't need to - plenty of time to get back to KE River.

Kalumburu - McGowan Island - three nights

KE River camp again - one night just to enjoy it

Drysdale again - one night

Bush camped before El Questro to maximise time there.

El Questro - three nights with long days with so much to see

Wyndham - one night

We spent some time at Kununurra including trips; two nights Purnululu - caravan not permitted, one night Keep River NP in NT with caravan (was going to be two, but we had to return to Kununurra), TripleJ boat cruise up the Ord, overnight fishing trip to the Pentecost, and various drives around the area.

Duncan Road to Halls Creek, including Old Halls Creek and surrounds (camped at Negri River and Marella Gorge on the Duncan).

Halls Creek - one night before leaving via the Tanami, visiting Wolfe Creek Crater (can be a day trip from Halls Creek).

We were a total of nine weeks in the Kimberley, with a longer than originally planned stay at Kununurra. Original plan was to go to Purnululu from Halls Creek, but due to a delay in Kununurra we went from there, and it is a lovely drive.

Still working on 'My Blog' trip reports.

A fabulous trip.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 345803

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 01:40

Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 01:40
Hi Mother hen,

trip to yours approx ago, when we had our off-road camper. Same gorges to Halls creek, Old Halls Creek, Marella gorge on up the Duncan rd to the main drag we were supposed to turn right in the N.T, however our old Engel was heating instead of cooling so left, into Kununurra. 4 days to be repaired. Basically reverse direction of yours. Missed Wyndham and El Questro. Stopped at Mt Elizabeth Stn 2 nights by the river. The first night were in bed at 7 o'clock,i t was that cold. Woke up in the morning it showed 6 degrees on the min-max thermometer. Thick ice over everything. Even water in the kettle was frozen. Brass monkeys were also looking for welders! Well, Mt. Elizabeth is the highest point in the Kimberly. Twelve weeks and still haven't seen it all.
Incidently, was the burro in the Wyndhan C/van park when you were there? He is a character. Quite a story attached to him. We stayed in the park august last year on the way home from Q'land to clean up

Tony.
The rig

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 613820

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 17:10

Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 17:10
Hi Tony

It is a fabulous part of Australia. We had some cool nights and it was reported as 4 at Mt Elizabeth, but gets as cold on the Mitchell Plateau and Purnululu. The days were hot compared to what we are used to, but we really enjoyed the cold nights.

What is the story about our little friend at Wyndham CP? He'd taken a real liking to the people in the Bushtracker we were parked next to. He was a lovely old fella.

Image Could Not Be Found

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 613875

Follow Up By: Member - Mary W NW VIC - Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 13:55

Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 13:55
Hi Motherhen,
He certainly is very friendly.We were there in July last and someone told me he used to wander around the district with a horse which has since died and that he came into the park for the company and the free food.
Cheers,
Mary
"Some people walk in the rain,others just get wet."

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 614564

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 14:04

Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 14:04
Hi Mary

We were also there in July but only for one night (6th). He had taken a fancy to the people we camped beside, and knew when they had morning or afternoon tea. He probably saved the CP staff a bit of grass cutting in the wet.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 614566

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 23:23

Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 23:23
Nope next time
The rig

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 614687

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 23:34

Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 23:34
Mh.
Have another go. Buggered this one up!!
Marg and the Burro.
Image Could Not Be FoundFriendly bugger, liked company.
The rig

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 614689

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 23:46

Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 23:46
What a cute pair!
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 614693

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 23:52

Thursday, Jan 29, 2009 at 23:52
Hi again Mh,
Just read my note 25th Jan, 6degrees should hve read -6 degrees!

Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 614696

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Jan 30, 2009 at 00:15

Friday, Jan 30, 2009 at 00:15
Hi Tony - I thought that is what you meant - because 6 isn't cold and you said ice.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 614701

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Friday, Jan 30, 2009 at 00:36

Friday, Jan 30, 2009 at 00:36
Mh,
Incidently ,did you get my note regarding the mule?
If not, I wonder what happened.
T
The rig

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 614704

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Jan 30, 2009 at 16:46

Friday, Jan 30, 2009 at 16:46
Hi Tony, yes thanks, i did receive your MM, and i replied same time as i responded to the photo of Marg with the handsome fellow. Maybe that has vanished into cyberspace too.

Mh

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 614785

Reply By: Member - Barnesy - Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 04:45

Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 04:45
Charnley is a nice quiet spot with some good gorges but not as spectacular as others.

Winjana can be seen in 1 day and tunnel creek the other day, staying at winjana camp ground both nights.

Manning to Mitchell falls is a long drive and not recommended. The camp ground at King edward river (i hate recommending it because it's becoming trashed due to overuse) would be a camp.

Please don't take a trailer on the road to Mitchell falls. Many do against advice but it rips up the road and makes the already bad corrugations worse. Take a tent with you. If people can't live without their mod-cons in their vans and campers then why are they going so remote?

The fruit and veg grown in Kununurra during the dry is fantastic. Stock up and feast.

There isn't a lot in Halls for tourists, believe me I'm living and working here now. The countryside around the place is good though.

Parry's lagoon at Wyndham is great as is the 5 rivers lookout. It's a nice friendly little place, Wyndham.

Barnesy

AnswerID: 345809

Follow Up By: Member - Lance S (VIC) - Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 10:57

Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 10:57
Barnesy,

"If people can't live without their mod-cons in their vans and campers then why are they going so remote"

What a load of cob wash.

We have C/T made for the outback, like most C/T's and i can tell you it doesn't have mod cons in it. If what you call mod cons is solar panels, battery, kitchen and waeco then yes i am a toorak camper, but their must be a hell of a lot of toorak campers out there.

With 3 kids in tow as well we are not in a hurry to explore the outback, we take our time for the allocated time we have. We are going to Kimberley in July/August for 8-9 weeks including Mitchell Falls which we will spending 4 nights there just relaxing, walking etc.

cheers,

Lance

Home Away from Home

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 613841

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 17:20

Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 17:20
I agree with you Barnsey; there is no need to drag a trailer up to the falls and back. We were going to camp in the ute overnight, but after a full day at the falls, we had seen it all and there was enough daylight to get back to the KE River camp. This camp was really lovely - my favourite of the entire trip, even if we did have to share with quite a few others - all good company. We spent a total of four night at KE River camp, just because it was such a lovely place.

All at the camp that went to the falls when we were there left their vans and trailers and did a day trip. So much easier and nicer to leave the trailer and come back to your 'home' by the river all set up and ready. People get annoyed at having to back and get out of the was with people who take trailers or caravans to the falls. There is no need.

Fair enough for those going on to Pt Warrender for a few days with trailers, but the narrowest bit of the road is after that turn-off. One trio did this trip, but did not go to Mitchell Falls.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 613876

Follow Up By: Member - Barnesy - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 00:18

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 00:18
Thank you Motherhen, that road to the falls is corrugated badly enough without people carting trailers over it, making others get out of their way on the narrow, twisting road with many blind corners.

Lance, I notice you are going to the falls in August, am I correct in assuming you haven't been there yet? Please take the advice of the locals and leave the trailer at the KE campground. It is actually a nicer area with the river to swim in and the waterfalls to explore.

We came across 5 very large Bushtracker caravans on the road, one nearly side-swiped us on a blind corner which was not a very fun experience. The road is so badly corrugated and the Patrol struggles for grip driving straight, let alone having to avoid a large caravan! The locals say NO VANS OR TRAILERS PLEASE! There is certainly no need to cart a convoy of Bushtrackers up to the falls.

Barnesy
FollowupID: 613940

Follow Up By: Member - Lance S (VIC) - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 07:50

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 07:50
Barnesy/Motherhen,

Firstly i have never seen or heard the saying No vans or campers from KE to Mitchell Plateau

Yes guys, this is our first trip up there. I was going on the advice of many others i have spoken to, and all stayed at least 2 nights at the Falls and KE. I have been told its about 2-2.5 hrs in from KE and a 4 hour return walk to the Falls plus at least an hour to see and enjoy the falls.

Is this correct?

If so that is why we were taking the trailer. If not we would camp at KE and do a day trip or sus out the price of a helicopter flight back from the falls. Does anyone know the price of a chopper flight from the falls back to Mitchell Plateau.

Its never too late to find out more about such a big trip.

Cheers,

Lance
Home Away from Home

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 613949

Follow Up By: Bushed-Tracker - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 11:24

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 11:24
Lance,

The helicopter flights last year were about $99 pp for the six minute trip up to the falls where you do a figure 8 for good photo's. At about $190 pp is the Mud Crab tour which we did - great. My advice - take an early morning chopper ride up - pack a picnic and make a leisurely day of coming the 3.5 km track back - make sure you don't miss the short side track that goes down and underneath the Little Mertens Falls. Anyone that does the return 7kms walk in 4.oo hrs is missing a hell of a lot.

The story about the King Edward being better that the Falls is hogwash. Its a camp ground (three actually one on the eastern side and two on the west with toilets run by DEC - all free) on the banks of the King Edwards River. Pleasant but nothing special for that part of the world.

The camp ground at the falls is nothing special - water collection point on the creek, toilet and rubbish disposal - but some great walks and swim points - Little Mertens being great.

B-T
FollowupID: 613967

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 13:29

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 13:29
We chose to walk to the falls in the morning and enjoy the helicopter taxi ride back. The 'mud crab' was quite expensive for just two but the price halved if there were four people, so we put our name down for mud crab if they could get another two. They didn't, so when our taxi arrived, it was just back to the car park. Still gives a great overview of the falls and surrounding rivers.

It took us i think two hours drive to the falls - we should have left a bit earlier, as i got overheated on the walk, but was revived with a swim at the falls. Coming back was a bit quicker, as the corrugations have formed mostly from up hill driving and were smoother on the way back (others at the camp found the same).

Mh

Image Could Not Be Found

Favourite campsite: On the KE River June 2008
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 613983

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 22:47

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 22:47
Just had a look at my notes from 2008. $290 for two of us to do the 18 minute mud crab chopper flight - and that was with our friends who also paid $290. But it was really worth it. WE chose to use the chopper for the return leg. Walking in the cooler part of the morning was good, we took our time and explored some of the art sites on the way in, especially under Little Mertens falls - excellent. Even so by the time we reached the falls it was lunchtime and very hot so a dip in the water was not only welcome but necessary.

Our friends tow a camper and took it in to the Mitchells Falls campground where we spent 2 nights so that we could have a full day at the falls. I do not recall seeing anything about not taking a trailer to the falls. But we travelled very gently stopping every half hour to let shocks (and us) cool down. The road is very corrugated.

We spent 2 nights at the KE camping area, and it was one of my favourite camps. There are two excellent art sites nearby that really are a must see.

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 614068

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 07:33

Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 07:33
As others have indicated above I think you are allowing to much time at El Questro and you have missed out Wyndham & Lake Argyle.Wyndham Zoological Gardens and Crocodile Park has the best informed croc show that I have seen anywhere in Australia.

If you want to see the Bungles at it's best then it's worth getting up VERY early (like getting up at your camp site at first light) and go straight to Cathedral Chasm first before any other visitors and also avoiding the heat. The sun rise is on that side of the Bungles and the formations have enhanced colour first thing in the morning. After visiting Cathedral Chasm drive around to Echidna Chasm followed by any of the other sights in the area.

For best photos of the spectacular Echidna Chasm I would suggest you take a tripod as the camera settings in the subdued light may need slow exposure speed and you could get a bit of camera shake.

The Cockburn Circuit is a good trip from El Questro. When at Kununnurra go see the Ivanhoe Crossing.

After a while some gorges in the Kimberly tend to look a bit like the last one you stopped at. The Bungles is one place that I will definitely return to in the future.

AnswerID: 345812

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 19:17

Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 19:17
Hi Kiwi Kia - How long ago did you do the Cockburn Circuit?

When we were there last year, the King River Road between the Gibb River Road and the junction with the Old Karunjie Road had been closed the the public by El Questro Station. Enquiries at Wyndham confirmed that it is a private road, and that the station had locked the gates. The Old Karunjie Road along the Pentecost was open (good fishing on the Pentecost if you watch the crocodiles). It joined the King River Road heading to Wyndham, but it was not one we would take our rig on.

We went from Wyndham via the Parry Creek Road to Kununurra, but bypassed Ivanhoe Crossing (chickened out on taking the caravan across). If they open more floodgates, it can be a 'floaty' ride.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 613894

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 20:25

Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 20:25
Hi Mother Hen, Yes you are right about the complete circuit. It was about 4 years ago that I went to do the circuit and we did end up going to Wyndham from the Pentecost instead of right around. thanks for refreshing my memory about that.

I did say "go see" the Ivanhoe crossing. Caravans or light trailers could be rather exciting to watch :-))
FollowupID: 613904

Reply By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 09:39

Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 09:39
Hi Colby,

There is so much to see and do in the Kimberley that its almost impossible to do it all in one trip. Have had 2 trips there and would go back again tomorrow except that there are other places yet to see. Have a look at our blogs of our Kimberely trip last year. The only places that you mention that we have not been areEl Questro, Manning Gorge and Charnley so cant comment on them.

My top spots would have to be King Edward River and the art sites there, Bungles, Mornington, and also the boabs that you see everywhere.. Lake Argyle and many others. Allow plenty of time for swimming. If you are able take a chopper flight at Mitchell Falls, and the flight out to the Horizontal waterfalls from Derby is very special if your budget allows.

Last year we found GRR to be in generally good condition, the Kalumaru Rd mostly OK but with some corrugated spots. Road into Mitchell falls is very corrugated, but by taking your time and driving to the conditions you should be OK.

Have you checked out www.kimberleyaustralia.com Its the best source of up to date info.

Enjoy your trip

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 345822

Reply By: Bushed-Tracker - Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 15:43

Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 15:43
Nobody mentioned Barnett Gorge - one of the best. Mornington AWC also great but beware the canpsite is fairly shady and no genny's allowed.

Barnsey, We took out Bushtracker up there to the Plateau, including 900 mm fast water on the King Edward Crossing. The road (it is not a formed road and the graders just push the boulders around) has some bad corrugations, not created by camper trailers but by clowns trying to be macho and seeing how fast they can do the trip.

We spent five weeks on the Gibb and McGowans Island on the coast north of Kalumburu is a great spot with excellent fishing.Kalumburu has a very interesting history. used to be fully self reliant in terms of food etc - now everthying is imported.

Home Valley and El Questro are fine if you like up-market touristy places. The morning traffic coming out ElQuestro was like the Friday rush hour getting out of Perth.

B-T
AnswerID: 345869

Follow Up By: Member - Barnesy - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 00:31

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 00:31
BT, you don't think carting over 1.5 tonne of caravan on a poorly maintained, overused track such as the one to the falls makes corrugations worse?
You don't think the extra weight causes the tyres to spin more on gravel whist coming out of corners or accelerating? Or causes the tyres to dig in more when braking?
Just because you CAN get the van somewhere doesn't mean you SHOULD.
I suppose nothing is the fault of people towing caravans. Ask yourself why the local ask no vans.
Read my reply above.
FollowupID: 613941

Follow Up By: Bushed-Tracker - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 11:09

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 11:09
Barnesy,
Firstly many Bushtrackers weigh over 3.0 tonnes, mine nearly 3.5 tonne. We tend not to accelerate out of corners, spin wheels or brake hard. Gently does it is the order of the day using suitable gearing with the right tyre pressures.

I was around the plateau for five weeks - no rush to go anywhere. We saw far more muppets in single vehicles roaring around - spewing stones on the corners etc and 'doing the Gibb' in a few days than the sedate C/Ts or vans. We also sat and watched how many people stopped and reduced their tyre pressures at the turn-off onto the Gibb at the KNX end - result 1.... now that's what causes corrugations - speed and hard tyres

B-T
FollowupID: 613965

Follow Up By: Member - Barnesy - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 15:38

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 15:38
I suppose nothing is the fault of people towing large caravans is it?

The biggest threat, apart from a poor road condition, is head ons. I suppose towing a caravan doesn't increase the risk of these either?
I saw a brand new BT with fancy airbag suspension stuck on the Kalumburu road stopped by a lone stick penetrating one airbag. It was still on the side of the road 12 days later!
If this was on the falls road......
FollowupID: 614150

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Friday, Jan 30, 2009 at 00:32

Friday, Jan 30, 2009 at 00:32
Barnsesby,
B.T. appears to
These things happen to me, to you, to the king of whoflungdung.
This is the out back-- To shorter time, there for to high speed, to many idiots, the unknown, you should take all this into consideration when you travell out there.
We went over it several times 35 odd years ago. Two wheel track mainly for station owners and cattle trucks. Sometimes it was worse what is today.Creek beds, you have it made today.

had a few words a few weeks ago about people from a particular state trying to organise a trip in to short a time, together with tag-a-long tours.
It is a pity the police didn't patrol with radar guns and cameras. They would have a ball.

What do you want bitumen all the way?
NO WAY this is Gods country. Treat it right and drive according to the conditions. Maximim speed is 80k right?

Tony

The rig

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 614703

Reply By: Member - Smiley Bill - Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 19:10

Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 19:10
Hi Colby,

We did trip in April/May 2008 from Broome to Kununurra via the Great Northern Hwy (detour to Windjana Gorge and Tunnel ck) then return to Broome via the G.R.R. Spectacular at the very least.

The Bungle Bungles are a must, only facilities are toilets in the camp grounds, take what you need with you, allow a couple of hours for the trip in and out each way, two night minimum recommended, watch out for tour coaches!

If you travel through Fitzroy Crossing a tour of Geikie Gorge is a must, nice caravan park,

Three or four nights at El Questro would be good to chill out with, cheap camping, good facilities and plenty to see,

Manning Gorge is a lovely place although fuel at the Mt Barnett r/house was the most expensive for the whole trip - 20 cents a ltr more than the big towns (diesel),

The various walks in the gorges and tracks require decent footwear, runners at the very least,

Lots of o/seas tourists in hire 4wd's/campers and no off-road experience and gear, don't be surprised if you have to help someone at some stage,

Lower your tyre pressures on both your vehicle and trailer when you hit the dirt roads, drive properly and you won't have any tyre worries.

It's a magic place up there, have a good trip.

Regards, Bill S.

AnswerID: 345889

Follow Up By: Colby - Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 21:29

Sunday, Jan 25, 2009 at 21:29
Bill

Thanks for yours and everyones comments - they are greatly appreciated.

Cheers
FollowupID: 613909

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 17:13

Monday, Jan 26, 2009 at 17:13
Colby, as see by the enthusiastic replies that you are headed in the right direction.

I hope you can be flexible in your plan, and take it as it comes. We all enjoy different things and places, and talking to others along the way brings up to date ideas. Although i planned which gorges i would like to see, we left decisions like Kalumburu or not, or whether to take the van all the way to Mitchell Falls or leave it along the way at the KE River Camp, until we got close to there (the Mitchell Falls decision being made after talking to others at the lovely KE River camp). We had no real time frame, just a direction of travel, and a map showing all the gorges open for easy access.

Be prepared to stay longer (supplies and fresh water) as the past two years it has rained in May/June, and the roads are closed for a few days to avoid surface damage.

If i hurry, i may have my blogs on our tour ready by the time you go.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 346034

Reply By: Member - Dogbolter (VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 23:10

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 23:10
Colby - looks like a good trip coming up, Wouldn't waste 5 days at El Questro tho, they will just relieve of your money and put you in a paddock shoulder to shoulder with 300 others. Would definately stay 5 days at Home Valley instead and do all the El Questro stuff from there.
Would highly recommend going to Cape Levique if you've got time great camping spots at Middle Lagoon, Chile Creek and Kooljamon.

Dogbolter
AnswerID: 346478

Sponsored Links