Swmbo says we need a Reversing camera/monitor

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 21:40
ThreadID: 73124 Views:2363 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
After knocking over a wheely bin in the Troopy SWMBO says we have to get a reversing camera.

Her reason is simple, it could have been a child.

My question is how wide an angle do I need to see just behind the car as well as traffic behind us on the highway?

I think I need a CCD camera and at least a 3.5" monitor.

Is there anything else I should consider.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GerryP - Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 21:57

Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 21:57
Hi BooBoo,

Most are fairly wide angle, which means you can see pretty well when reversing, but on the road, cars are hard to spot until they get to within about 100 metres or so. However, I don't find this a problem. Some kits also come with parking sensors which will give you extra assurance when reversing, although you will need to find suitable, clear locations to mount the sensors - not always easy on a 4WD with wheel carriers and other stuff hanging off the back.

I have my car camera mounted centrally on the car, just above the towbar. Makes it a breeze hitching the van or trailer. The one on the van is also central, but high up.

I would defintely get a CCD rather than CMOS. Not much dearer, but much better image quality, especially with a bit of sunlight about. I have a CCD on the van and a CMOS on the car - I have just ordered a CCD one on the internet tonight to replace the one on the car.

Cheers
Gerry

AnswerID: 387650

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 22:04

Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 22:04
Gerry

From what you are saying 130 degrees is OK?
FollowupID: 655185

Follow Up By: GerryP - Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 22:10

Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 22:10
I wasn't sure what angle mine were, but a check on the web suggests both of mine are 92 degrees.

They suit my needs as I find it a reasonable compromise between spread of vision immediately behind, versus some lack of distance vision. Cars do tend to 'sneak up' behind you, but at least the road trains are big enough to see well before they catch up to you.

Cheers
Gerry
FollowupID: 655187

Reply By: PeterInSa - Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 22:06

Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 22:06
Don't know if a camera is the answer, mate has just installed rear bumper sensors, these may be the way to go. The closer you get to an object at the rear the louder the sound of the buzzer.(tone generator)

Have a CCD camera, if thats the dearer of the 2 types on the rear of the van with the screen fitted over the rear vision mirror, I think this is the best way to go rather than a separate screen that you have to look at as well. But on second thoughts you may need 2 screens (mirror and screen), one for closer proximity eg child, along with the normal revision mirror for mid to long distance viewing

Peter
AnswerID: 387651

Reply By: Fatso - Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 22:27

Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 22:27
Try shiftin the bin. Save you the hastle of a camera.
AnswerID: 387655

Reply By: Rangiephil - Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 22:28

Sunday, Oct 18, 2009 at 22:28
I gave my sensors the flick as they used to drive me mad going off all the time when wet with rain, and later when the temperature was over 30degrees or so.

I mainly use my cmaera for hitching but it is also great for reverse parking. I do not see that you need sensors as well.
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 387656

Reply By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Monday, Oct 19, 2009 at 12:54

Monday, Oct 19, 2009 at 12:54
Thanks for the info fellas, I'll now now what to look for.
AnswerID: 387720

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Oct 19, 2009 at 13:20

Monday, Oct 19, 2009 at 13:20
had a rear view mirror screen and binned it .

The mirror image is brighter than the camera image and even in my car with darker than legal tint it was useless.

I even tried a see thru non reflecting plastic but eventually chucked it and use a seperate screen.

Is 100% better.

Mine in the Cruiser is mounted looking back above the number plate and is in the bottom of the top tailgate.

Can see towball AND cars behind me.

The van one is mounted on rear roof and can see cars half a k away.

Both are Cmos and work fine.

Cost $35 each

AnswerID: 387726

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Oct 19, 2009 at 13:26

Monday, Oct 19, 2009 at 13:26
Just be aware that when reversing even with a camera if something is right

behind the outer corners of the vehicle like a lurking wheelie bin or a chld

standing waiting to cross behind you the camera may not pick it up.

They are Ok for things starting from a metre or so behind but not so good

right up close on the outer edges of the vehicle.

My experience with 3 years of using one.
FollowupID: 655286

Reply By: Crackles - Monday, Oct 19, 2009 at 16:56

Monday, Oct 19, 2009 at 16:56
If you don't look in the mirrors then why would you look at the screen? In fact with screen glare or dust/moisture on the camaera it's often difficult to see anything on them anyway. 3/4 of our work trucks have them fitted & are near useless most of the time. Suggest to her she pays more attention next time when reversing ;-)
Cheers Craig.............
AnswerID: 387755

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Oct 19, 2009 at 21:57

Monday, Oct 19, 2009 at 21:57
Perhaps the drivers could get out occasionally and clean them.

Mirrors arent always the thing either.

Like today in Blackwoods Jarrah Woods I parked, went walking, came back hopped into car and backed into a stump that I couldnt see with the mirrors.

B***dy thing was about a metre in diameter but was right in line with the towbar and couldnt see it in mirrors.
Had Polarised glasses on so couldnt see image in screen either.

Just as well I have a spare bumper at home LOL

FollowupID: 655388

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Monday, Oct 19, 2009 at 22:39

Monday, Oct 19, 2009 at 22:39
Hahahaha,

Good one Craig,,,, it was me driving, and it could not be seen given the situation, but thanks for trying to get me off the hook. LOL
FollowupID: 655398

Reply By: Ozboc - Tuesday, Oct 20, 2009 at 04:03

Tuesday, Oct 20, 2009 at 04:03
this may be incorrect information here , but i was once told by a police officer that its illegal to reverse out of a driveway onto the street ... you must be traveling in a forward direction , thus the name Driveway , not reverse way.

i used to live directly on a roundabout and this was the answer to my query to the police in the event of an accident

Boc
AnswerID: 387833

Sponsored Links