Travel Oz as a single parent

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 22:51
ThreadID: 75551 Views:5861 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hi. Just looking for some feedback on travelling Australia, with my 8 yr old son, as a single parent. Is it feasible/practical? I know it's definitely possible but I'm worried about my child's safety if something happens to me and also needing someone for support (ie. working around Oz with a child). I'm looking at buying a caravan, trading in my Navara for a Patrol and taking off.
Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Matt
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Fab72 - Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 09:40

Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 09:40
Bryan Brown did it in the Shiralee.
AnswerID: 401433

Follow Up By: Dasher Des - Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 09:51

Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 09:51
Yes he did but the kid was a girl. LOL Oh it was a movie too so it may not have been real. (all above said with tongue firmly in cheek)
FollowupID: 670763

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 10:21

Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 10:21
It could be a really great experience for both of you. How it goes, will depend a lot on your reason, and your son's reason for doing this. Your attitude, and his attitude, will have a big bearing on the trip.

How flexible are you both? List the benefits of doing the trip together. Take a few "dry" runs, and see how it goes..... Talk about it (a lot) together. Research it together.... make decisions together. Then if both still want to do it... go for it.... there is a lot to learn and gain from a trip.

Talk about putting a safety net in place.... people he (son) can call when and if he feels the need.... Put a safety plan in place..... write it up, and put it in plain view.... practice it. It will reduce anxiety and fear, and build confidence...
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 401443

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 10:37

Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 10:37
G/Day Matt

I'm glad to read that your main concern is your son, there is a lot to consider re: his Welfare, Education, and his Peace of Mind,

*Can you contact a Relative on a regular basis whilst you are on your travels, and give them an update of your plans re: Emergencies.

*Can your boy use a Mobile Phone in case of an Emergency.

*What type of Schooling did you have in mind.

*If you picked up part time employment where would your son be whilst you are working.

I reckon you can go on your travels as long as you have all of your plans in place before you leave, it's not impossible.

Cheers
AnswerID: 401446

Reply By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 21:27

Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 21:27
I'm a single mother of two 6 & 8 doing it full time for 7 months sofar. Only we have paused till August to further my studies so I can work in the school system. We stay in caravan parks. That's costly as I wont stay in a cheap one for security reasons. We home schooled last year with dist ed but they want to go to school this year so the plans have change. Might be 12 months before we get back up to FNQ. We are travelling because I dont know where I want to live. I asked the kids if they wanted to stop and live in a house they said no we will get too board. Make sure your van has a shower. We have a porta loo so the kids can go with out me having to walk them all the time to the toilet block.
Good luck
AnswerID: 401534

Follow Up By: Mattyhammer - Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 23:23

Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 23:23
Hi there. That's fantastic that you have made that type of effort. It must be hard work and a little scary at times. I never really know where I want to live either. I'm on the Sunshine Coast (QLD) but work here is really thin and the type of work I want to do is even thinner (close to non-existent). I've just completed a degree and am looking to further my studies with a Masters over the next 18 months (due to lack of work here - so might as well be doing something useful) and decided that this would be the best time to take off (no job holding me down). I was trying to avoid the extra cost of getting a van with a shower but those thoughts of late night trips to the loo are a concern with a little bloke. I will also home school him but not through dist ed. I will do it myself. I have the time and the skills to create his learning program and have heard its much more convenient when travelling (no posting of items) and also less expensive (a major consideration). Are you looking for work at all on your way round? If so, how are you managing to work with both of the kids in tow? Good on you for having a go.
Stay safe and enjoy your travels.
Regards,
Matt
P.S. the pic on your profile is pretty cool!! I've never done that (mainly beach driving and muddy trails up in the ranges) but keen as to give it a go.
FollowupID: 670890

Follow Up By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 00:27

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 00:27
That photo is on the Tele Track last July I gunned it a bit for the camera.
We spent a couple of months in the Mary Valley at the end of last year, travelled around the country side we are interested in the history of the areas we travel. I will be searching for teacher aides positions in FNQ. Plan is to be based and do day/weekend trips between Tully and Cooktown. Thought about Govy positions as well. We are in the Capricorn Coast at the moment. Plenty to do here yet. I get a bit nervous when I first take off with 23" behind me but a few ks up the road I'm ok again. I agree with the dist ed. Every two weeks you have to submit papers and receive them. As for security I have family in the Darling Downs and Cairns. In between I have contacts should something go wrong. My dream is to travel the Kimberley one day but not by our selves. The owners of caravan parks have been great. One was dissapointed when I backed the van into position as he wanted to test out his new quad bike.
Love it.
FollowupID: 670893

Follow Up By: Mattyhammer - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 01:28

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 01:28
What van do you have?
FollowupID: 670896

Follow Up By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 12:50

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 12:50
Hi Matt
It might be a good idea to become a full member of EO you can look at other members set up as most of us have an array of photos to look at, you can ask any questions directly. Starting to break the chit chat rule. The information gained on this site is fantastic and well worth the cost of membership. Members can chat to each other with out filling up the forum.
Cheers
Sharon
FollowupID: 670959

Sponsored Links