<span class="highlight">battery</span> dual <span class="highlight">battery</span> kit??

Just a newbie to all of this, got a waeco and wanted to set up a dual battery for camping to run fridge, lights n stuff

firstly has anyone had any experiences with the thumper redback batteries??
120ah for $380.....price sounds right.

also if setting up a dual battery with a 120ah aux battery, would a 140amp isolator be enough???
just running a standard 4wd battery as the starter.

thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Friday, Sep 10, 2010 at 22:51

Friday, Sep 10, 2010 at 22:51
Chucky, do you want a portable battery like the Thumper or are you interested in putting an Aux Battery under the bonnet to run all your gear. Two very different solutions. Have you assessed your actual needs. ie; how often are you out bush, what else do you run besides lights and fridge. Do you want to hook in solar, how long do you stop in a camp spot for etc.

My personal choice is a 2nd battery in your vehicle. Gives a few more options as far as charging is concerned. Then it gets down to the type of battery you want to use (I'm using AGM's but a hybrid is great also) and this will help you determine the best way to charge. You can use isolators, smart solenoids, dual battery systems or DC-DC chargers.

Could I reccomend you have a look at John & Vals "Electricity for Camping" blog on this site. It'll outline some of the basics for you. DC power is something you can waste a lot of money on so take the time to research and ask questions. I've explained what I've done with DC power in my blog on the building of my ute. A search of the forum and articles on the E/O site will also produce volumes of info for you. Go to it ;-)

Cheers Mick.

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 429945

Reply By: Member - Geoff H (QLD) - Friday, Sep 10, 2010 at 23:04

Friday, Sep 10, 2010 at 23:04
Hi Chucky,

I run a 105AH second battery in the back of my Wagon and it runs a Waeco 50 for at least 2 days. I tend to use the car every few days so I have never drained the battery enough for the fridge to cut out.

Just idle the the car the for an hour to charge the battery, cheaper than buying a gen set.

I think I paid about $180 for the battery on e-bay. Dodgy maybe, but it has done a trip to the Cape and numerous camping trips around SEQ over the last 12 months.

Regards
Geoff
AnswerID: 429948

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Friday, Sep 10, 2010 at 23:18

Friday, Sep 10, 2010 at 23:18
chucky,

get an AGM Deep Cycle battery, reasoning they charge much faster than wetcell batteries, sit it in a $30 black plastic battery box, connect to the existing Cranking battery via an electronic battery isolator with *THICK* battery cable to avoid voltage loss.

You can then leave the AGM Battery sitting behind the front seats on the floor and the kids can put their feet on top of it with no problems and no dramas with gas emission either.

Connect the battery cable to the battery with an Anderson plug so you can remove it and take it anywhere you want.

You can set-up amp and voltage gauges to see what is happening with your battery and see when it needs charging and what rate it is discharging.

These photo's are an *example* only Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be FoundMaîneÿ . . .

AnswerID: 429951

Reply By: SDG - Friday, Sep 10, 2010 at 23:21

Friday, Sep 10, 2010 at 23:21
If your thumper is anything like the 1000amp battery pack I have, it probably will not work. As an experiment one night I hooked it up to my waeco,40litre, to see how long it would last. Before I woke the next morning the Waeco had turned itself off with the error light blinking. This is a safety feature on the waeco, so that you don't completly drain your battery, leaving you enough to be able to start your engine.

I got a under bonnet battery instead, paid extra for the waeco wiring kit to run the power to the back of the vehicle. Normal in car cig lighters are usually to weak. From this I can also run another lead out back window to power waeco outside of vehicle if I want to.

On another note the portable battery will run the waeco for a couple of hours if you wish to go for a drive and leave it behind. It will also run a portable dvd player for the kids. I only allow one movie per day, just before bed, and they get to watch about 7 or 8 movies. Never tried lights.
AnswerID: 429952

Follow Up By: dereki - Saturday, Sep 11, 2010 at 07:36

Saturday, Sep 11, 2010 at 07:36
Is that a 1000AMP jump start pack?

They only carry smallish capacity batteries.. about 18Amp Hours for the projector branded unit. Be carefull about the ratings. 1000Amps is a burst of 1000Amps power to start the car. The long term power capacity is measured in AH (Amp Hours).
So using a very simplistic calculation... 18Amp Hour battery, with the fridge pulling about 2 amps = 9 hours compressor run time. 1/2 that again since the battery should only be drained to 50% = 4.5 hours. Assume that the compressor runs for 1/2 the time. (probably less) its still only 9 hours before the fridge cuts out on low voltage if the battery was charged properly. If the fridge is set at a high cut off, then it might only last for a few hours.

I have a 120Amp Hour AGM battery (about $400) that runs my evakool (same danfoss compressor) for 4 days as a fridge/freezer set to about -3 in the freezer.
FollowupID: 700776

Reply By: chucky d - Saturday, Sep 11, 2010 at 08:02

Saturday, Sep 11, 2010 at 08:02
thanks for all replies sounds like have been doing it for quite a while.

that's the battery i was thinking of, it doesn't say AGM on it but in the description it does.

i will be mainly doing small camping trips but on the occasion i do wanna go for a big trip i'll be thinking ahh crap i should have gone the bigger battery, so i'm just gonna do it.

mainly to run a 60l waeco coupla lights maybe the kids gadgets, was just planning to charge off 4wd alt (no solar setup).

also would this isolator be ok with the setup i'm planning???
its 140 amp.

thanks guys.
AnswerID: 429959

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, Sep 11, 2010 at 09:31

Saturday, Sep 11, 2010 at 09:31
Chucky,

The battery is an AGM type and should be fine, though there may be cheaper alternatives.

The isolator also looks good, though again there may be cheaper alternatives. A 140 amp unit will easily handle the charging of a 120 amphour battery. (The amphour rating refers to the battery CAPACITY, the 140 amp rating refers to the CURRENT carrying capacity of the isolator - two different things.)

As Mick has suggested, have a look at our blog to fill in lots of the gaps.

Cheers

John

J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 700790

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Saturday, Sep 11, 2010 at 14:05

Saturday, Sep 11, 2010 at 14:05
chucky,
just glue an Anderson plug and the Matson isolator to the top of the battery and stick it into a black battery box and it will work fine.
Will be easy to recharge and to carry anywhere with you.

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 700811

Follow Up By: chucky d - Sunday, Sep 12, 2010 at 08:42

Sunday, Sep 12, 2010 at 08:42
are the cheaper alternatives as good??
if so where is the best place to find them ? eBay ?
I'm in a very remote area (far north kimberleys WA)
FollowupID: 700865

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Sep 13, 2010 at 07:36

Monday, Sep 13, 2010 at 07:36
Chucky,

Are the cheaper alternative as good?

The Matson price seems to range from $155 - $250, depending on seller. There are a lot of VSR's (voltage sensitive relays) around. My preference would probably be the one from ABR Sidewinder at about $80. (Check it out here. ) ABR Sidewinder is a business member of this site and very highly regarded.

The battery - Your options are probably limited by your location. A decent 120Ah battery probably won't cost much less than $300 and top line (eg spiral wound) batteries will be a fair bit more. Lesser quality ones can be cheaper. Suggest talk to Derek at ABR, or Peter from Battery Value (also a business member here) for advice on batteries meeting your particular requirements.

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 700950

Reply By: Ray - Saturday, Sep 11, 2010 at 08:16

Saturday, Sep 11, 2010 at 08:16
You didn't say if you were using (towing) a caravan or a camper???????
I tow a caravan with my 80ser. L/C. My secondary batteries are installed in the caravan. That way I have 12v in the caravan when not hitched to the car.
AnswerID: 429961

Reply By: chucky d - Saturday, Sep 11, 2010 at 08:31

Saturday, Sep 11, 2010 at 08:31
no camper or caravan.

just tent camping at the moment.
hopefully that will change down the track.
AnswerID: 429962

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Sep 11, 2010 at 10:02

Saturday, Sep 11, 2010 at 10:02
hey chucky if you click the "post followup" tab then your response gets added to the reply. You probably know that. If you do then feel free to castigate me, nicely
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 700795

Follow Up By: chucky d - Sunday, Sep 12, 2010 at 08:38

Sunday, Sep 12, 2010 at 08:38
Thanks mate, didn't know that.
FollowupID: 700864

Reply By: Kimba10 - Saturday, Sep 11, 2010 at 15:49

Saturday, Sep 11, 2010 at 15:49
Just bought the Matson duel battery kit for $99, includes isolater, good thick cables, 2 red 1 black with connections already on the end of them so no crimping or anything involved. cable ties etc all in a kit, got it from the show at Eastern Creek here in Sydney (not sure where your at) Battery world had them on the shelf for $220, when I went to enquire about buying second battery he asked me did I have the electrical side set up, showed him the kit I bought and he said was an absolute bargain, he said even though his shelf price was $220 he normally sells them for $170, I asked him of their quality and any issue's he said been selling them for ages and hasnt had any problems. May I say extremely easy to wire up, longest part was finding some where under the bonnet, he said they are also totally water proof...............
AnswerID: 429984

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Saturday, Sep 11, 2010 at 16:02

Saturday, Sep 11, 2010 at 16:02
Kimba,
is your control box yellow?
or a black control box like this one ?

Image Could Not Be FoundMaîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 700816

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Saturday, Sep 11, 2010 at 19:18

Saturday, Sep 11, 2010 at 19:18
Mate its yellow, has 140 amp written on the front of it, same one as in the picture above..........
FollowupID: 700829

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Sunday, Sep 12, 2010 at 10:15

Sunday, Sep 12, 2010 at 10:15
Kimba,
Thought I would ask as the 'yellow one' does not appear on the Matson website

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 700876

Reply By: WATTS2C - Monday, Sep 13, 2010 at 08:57

Monday, Sep 13, 2010 at 08:57
Definitely go with an AGM battery - something like the Fullriver which are around the $335 mark for a 120Ah

AnswerID: 430162

Sponsored Links