Running a <span class="highlight">battery</span> charger with load connected to <span class="highlight">Battery</span>

Hi all,
I have a caravan set up permanantly on site & have no access to 240 volt mains power apart from a small generator which I will only use to charge the battery using a 240/12 volt charger.
I have set up a 100 AH battery that is connected to a 600 Watt inverter to power various items & I also run my Engel fridge direct from the 12 volt battery.

I have 2 questions.

1. Can leave the inverter & Engel fridge connected & switched on while running a 12 volt charger.

2. Can I use an intelligent charger or will the loads confuse the chargers logic.

I have not bought the charger yet as I am thinking that if I get one thats too clever I may screw something up. I would prefer not to have to disconnect anything if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance
Stuart
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Battery Value Pty Ltd - Saturday, Oct 16, 2010 at 11:46

Saturday, Oct 16, 2010 at 11:46
Stuart,

all good questions.

You should run your genny at least 10 hours every day to fully recharge your battery.
Since this is highly uneconomical, you should really look into installing a small 80W solar panel. That way, your genny only needs to run 2~3 hours.

If you really plan on running the genny for 10 hours, select 'power supply' mode on the charger while a fridge and other loads are connected during charging.
In this mode, the output voltage is held constant at 13.8V which is the recommended float charging voltage for many batteries.

But because this is a cyclic application (fridge will draw power overnight), for the first 3~4 hours of genny run time, switch the charger to the 'normal' three stage setting, i.e. 14.4V~14.8V boost/absorption, 13.6~13.8V float.

Leave it in this mode until the battery voltage has come up to the absorption voltage, and after a couple of hours sitting at this voltage, the charger has to switch over to float. If it doesn't then it's getting the wrong message due to the fridge current.
In this case, select 'power supply' mode again, for the rest of the day.

Note that some good chargers have an (adjustable) time limit for the absorption, but this too can be tricked out by the fridge cycling on/off.

The beauty of solar is that you don't have to worry about 'power supply' mode.
Just let the three stage charger do its thing as long as the genny runs (3~4 hours), and then let the solar finish the charging over the rest of the (sunny) day.
The solar regulator needs to be set to the float voltage level (13.6~13.8V ideally temperature compensated).

cheers, Peter
AnswerID: 433250

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Saturday, Oct 16, 2010 at 12:24

Saturday, Oct 16, 2010 at 12:24
Hi Peter,
Thanks for the great explanation.

I must say I had not counted on running the genny for that long! It sort of defeats the purpose of having the inverter if thats the case.

The guy I bought the property off just used have the genny & because its so quiet out in the Mallee & the noise of the genny was so intrusive I decided to set up the battery & inverter system figuring mostly I could use the battery for power. Actually I have not set it up on site yet. I have it set up at home giving it a dry run before I commission it at my property in 2 weeks time.

I must say that the solar panel idea sounds like the go, particularly since there is no shortage of sunshine out in the Mallee where the van is located.

Based on the fact that that I will only be drawing a small amount of power from the inverter (a few compact flouros in the van & laptop at night) in addition to the Engel fridge, do you reckon a 10amp RMS charger is the go or would a higher output be ok for the battery? Less genny run time the better I reckon because I hate generators when I am camping!

Thanks again
Stuart
FollowupID: 704094

Follow Up By: Member - Jason B (NSW) - Saturday, Oct 16, 2010 at 12:27

Saturday, Oct 16, 2010 at 12:27
Hi Peter

I have a 40AMP smart charger that has all the stages and modes you speak of. I have bought it to use with our camper trailer that is fitted with 2 x 100amp AGM Batteries. (Camper to be delivered soon)

I have used it recently with a loaned trailer fitted with 1 x 100amp AGM and it seemed to work really well.

It automatically detected the amp level required to charge the battery and also showed the level of charge of the battery etc on the display.

My question is that I noticed the power supply setting on the charger but have no knowledge of what it does. So I subsequently left the charger in the auto mode. I was running 2 x Waeco fridges at the time. It all seemed to work fine both plugged into 240 power at a caravan park and running through our Honda EUi20 Generator which we ran for 3 - 5 hours each evening.

I was just wondering if you could expand on the power supply mode setting so that I can get a handle on what it does and how I should get the most out of the charger.

For instance if we are in a caravan park and plugged into power all the time should I leave the charger in power supply mode all the time when running the fridges.

Appreciate you input

Regards
FollowupID: 704095

Follow Up By: Battery Value Pty Ltd - Saturday, Oct 16, 2010 at 13:18

Saturday, Oct 16, 2010 at 13:18
You're most welcome Stuart.

Your daily load budget looks to be in the vicinity of 60Ah (fridge: 2Ax24hr, lappy 4Ax2hr, lights: 1Ax4hr).
Due to battery inefficiencies, you're looking at putting 70Ah back into it every day.
85% of that can be done by quick boost/ and a bit of absorption charging at 14.4~14.8V, and the remainder comes from the solar panel.
Using the 10A charger, the genny will have to be run for 70*0.85/10 equals almost 6 hours.
A 25A charger (which delivers the max recommended charging current for a 100Ah AGM battery) takes 2.4 hours for the same task.

If 2.4 hours is still unacceptable, then there is an option which requires you to run the genny for only 50 minutes.

Batteries need to be of the spiral wound AGM type for this.
Select two of these 50Ah units wired in parallel.

The charger needs to be able to deliver 70*0.85/0.83 equals 72A, to achieve this feast.
Another option is to use two 25A chargers in parallel, in which case the run time is 70*85/50 equals 1.2 hours.

So these are your options.
For more information on the chargers and batteries, pls check my profile.

@ Jason,

yes, when on a permanently powered site, definitely select 'power supply' mode.
In this mode, your batteries are being float charged (they only take in very little current during this), and the rest of the 40A on tap is for the loads.
'Power supply' mode is the same thing as a single stage charger permanently set to 'float' level.
Still, battery temperature compensation is important for best battery life, so attach the sensor to them.

Note that when left in 'auto', there is the real possibility that the boost voltage is kept up for extended periods of time.
This leads to over-charging and gradual loss of electrolyte.
I estimate this loss to be in the vicinity of 1~3 grams per hour.
In a typical 100Ah AGM battery, you can afford to lose around 0.3~0.4 litres of water over its life.
So there you have it: if the battery is left to dry out at the above rate for 10 hours every day, then the battery will be toast in a few weeks time.
That's why the bulk/absorption stage needs to be controlled very tightly by the charger.

Any interference from concurrent loads during charging potentially shortens battery life.

cheers, Peter
FollowupID: 704102

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Saturday, Oct 16, 2010 at 13:22

Saturday, Oct 16, 2010 at 13:22
Wow this all gets pretty complicated!

Actually I do understand Peter's explanation & I would certainly be fine with switching modes of the charger I purchase but what bothers me is that when my kids go up to my place on their own there is no way they will switch anything over. In fact I reckon they will wonder why all the food in the fridge goes off because they have flattened the battery by not charging it for 3 days.

I would like to automate the charging side of it if I could so that basically someone can crank up the gennie from time to time & than forget about it for a while. I guess to a degree the solar panel does that.
FollowupID: 704103

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Saturday, Oct 16, 2010 at 13:41

Saturday, Oct 16, 2010 at 13:41
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the explanation again. Your a wealth of knowledge. I was typing the above response while you were responding to Jason's & my second request.

I don't think I will go down the AGM battery path at this stage as I will be setting up a more permanant power system to run my bore pump when I get the property paid off & I build a cabin there. So for now I will get a high AMP charger so that I can run the genny for less time. A few hrs run time in the afternoon before sunset while we go off for a birdwatch at the dam, will be fine & I will get some real long extension leads so the gennie can have it's home behind a nearby sandhill.

Regards
Stuart
FollowupID: 704104

Follow Up By: Battery Value Pty Ltd - Saturday, Oct 16, 2010 at 13:55

Saturday, Oct 16, 2010 at 13:55
Stuart,

yes, you get away by operating the batteries in a partial state of charge for a while (means float charging them which stops dry out, but adds sulfation)

Instead of 8 years, you probably get 2~4 years out of them by doing it this way.

So you just have to budget $65.00 per year for the battery instead of $25.00 :)

AGM batteries can be had for peanuts nowadays, which makes this a feasible option.

cheers, Peter
FollowupID: 704107

Follow Up By: mike39 - Sunday, Oct 17, 2010 at 07:43

Sunday, Oct 17, 2010 at 07:43
G'day Stuart.
Have read the replys to your question with interest, I also have battery charging dilemnas from time to time.

Of course the most important thing is not to leave any battery completely discharged for any length of time and I would see this as part of your problem.

I agree, solar is your most appropriate solution, but there will be times Like quite recently) when the sun just don't shine and the generator is imperative.

Depending on the type of gen. you have there can be way to make it almost silent.
Our gen. on the farm (240v.) was a single cyl. 1500rpm Lister which was very noisy.
I put some sisalation on the shed wall with batts behind, dug a hole in the ground and buried a 44gal. oil drum, connected the exhaust to the drum by welding a pipe socket to it and a vertical outlet through the shed roof.
It was very effective.
mike
FollowupID: 704176

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Sunday, Oct 17, 2010 at 20:18

Sunday, Oct 17, 2010 at 20:18
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the info on leaving a battery in a discharged state. I already am aware of this because my friend who also has a property with a small cabin is forever leaving his batteries flat for weeks on end & then he wonders why they dont last long!

As for the noise of the genny I have actually made a sound deadening enclosure for it & will be trying it out in a couple of weeks. i have made sure it is well ventilated too.

Stu
FollowupID: 704307

Follow Up By: Member - Jason B (NSW) - Monday, Oct 18, 2010 at 20:45

Monday, Oct 18, 2010 at 20:45
Thanks for the great info Peter.

I have been told that the charger I have is suitable to leave connected to the Batteries (2 x 100amp AGM's) all the time (as it will go into float mode) when the camper is in the garage. Is this recommended or is it better to put the batteries on the charger only every couple of weeks or similar. No load would be connected up to the batteries at this time.

Also when charging the batteries from the charger of an evening using the Generator, is it better to disconnect the fridges during this time?

Thanks again.

FollowupID: 704394

Reply By: Wheatbelt Wayne - Saturday, Oct 16, 2010 at 22:20

Saturday, Oct 16, 2010 at 22:20
If its a permanent on site van, couldn't Bushranger just use a bigger solar set-up and not need to use the generator at all??

Just a query, as I've thought about solar and the minimum size required for my own purposes, but haven't gone down that path. No generator either!
Cheers

Wayne

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 433301

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Sunday, Oct 17, 2010 at 20:22

Sunday, Oct 17, 2010 at 20:22
Hi Wayne,
I am reluctant to spend too much on my system at this point because I will be setting up a much bigger energy system on site in a couple of years so would rather keep the cost down due to this temporary system becoming obsolete then.

Stu
FollowupID: 704308

Sponsored Links