<span class="highlight">Wildflowers</span>

Submitted: Monday, Jan 24, 2011 at 21:37
ThreadID: 83872 Views:4696 Replies:6 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Over the last couple of weeks John and Val, and Stephen L have been posting photos of wildflowers, this got me inspired to post a few of my own, so here goes.

This is the first time posting with pics, so see how we go.

Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found

Regards

Barry H
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Jan 24, 2011 at 21:48

Monday, Jan 24, 2011 at 21:48
Hi Barry,

You have put up some lovely photos of these superb little gems, the WA ground orchids. Since they are so small getting a good photo requires a bit of effort and persistence so thank you for putting them up. Are you able to tell us roughly where and when you took the photos?

Tomorrow I will try to add to this thread so we can build a thread that is a collection of photos covering ground orchids.

Thank you for starting this thread.

Cheers,

Val

J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 442945

Follow Up By: Member - Barry H (WA) - Monday, Jan 24, 2011 at 21:59

Monday, Jan 24, 2011 at 21:59
Val,

These photos were taken last year, (2010) about 180kms East of Esperance around the Cape Arid region.

I look forward to the new thread.

Regards

barry H
FollowupID: 715006

Reply By: Richard W (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 07:08

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 07:08
Barry,

Good stuff.
Thanks for sharing.
AnswerID: 442961

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 08:05

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 08:05
Hi Barry

Those are great pictures and it is good to think that Val has inspired you to post them. Val is very qualified in her field and has helped me out, for which I am truly grateful.

Lets hope that your post will also prompt others to share their many special photos. What I can say is that if you or any others need help in trying to identify a plant, then get in contact with Val and she will try her very best to help out and once again a special thanks to Val.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 442964

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 10:47

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 10:47
Hi Stephen,

Thanks for those kind words, but I fear you may have overstated my "expertise" - its pretty modest really. Happy to try to help though.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 715033

Follow Up By: Member - Barry H (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 10:59

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 10:59
Stephen,

Just love those desert peas.

In all our travels around WA we have never come across even one type of Sturt's, let alone the variety you have in SA.

Barry H
FollowupID: 715035

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 14:21

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 14:21
Hi Val and Barry

In my eyes Val you are a very experienced and know what it is all about, far more than someone like me and what you have passed on is well appreciated.

Barry, those Sturt Desert Peas were unreal and from I what know, this year was the first time that there were so many colour variations in Roxby Downs. I now will have a very reliable contact in Roxby Downs, as one of the girls from our work is leaving and her husband now has a job up there. She said that she will keep me well informed for when the flowers are out again.

If you have never seen Sturt Desert Pea flowers, even if not in the colour variations, then Roxby Downs is one place that always puts on the most stunning display. The below picture will show you just how dense they are up there.

Thanks again for sharing.

Regards

Stephen

Image Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 715049

Follow Up By: Member - Barry H (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 17:38

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 17:38
Stephen,

WOW I have never seen them so dense.

My sister lives in SA and we are due a wedding of some sort later this year, Roxby Downs could well be on the agenda.

Barry H
FollowupID: 715067

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 19:11

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 19:11
Hi Barry

That photo still does not do justice to the numbers that were there. They started around 20 kilometres south of Roxby Downs and were thick from there on. In some patches, they would have been an acre in size, if not bigger. From where we have seen them in the past, Roxby Downs should be rated as the Sturt Desert Pea Capital.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 715077

Reply By: Sigmund - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 08:23

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 08:23
Thumbs up!
AnswerID: 442966

Reply By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 09:39

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 09:39
We were up in the Eastern Vic Alpine region on the weekend and here is what we saw:

AnswerID: 442969

Follow Up By: Member - Barry H (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 11:02

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 11:02
vk1dx,

I like the look of the yellow one's, they look like they are painted into the scene, any clue as to what they are?

Barry H
FollowupID: 715036

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 11:06

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 11:06
I don't have a clue but I have been told by my wife that they are called Paper (or Everlasting) Daisies.

It was so reminiscent of a trip to WA a few years ago when the flowers were out.

Phil
FollowupID: 715037

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 17:14

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 17:14
Hi Barry,

Here are a few photos of ground orchids from various locations. I did not have any special interest in ground orchids (or any other orchids for that matter) until our trip to WA in 09. Then we saw so many that I was quite captivated by these little beauties.

Here is a bearded mini monster growing right beside the bitumen in the Grampians, Vic.
Image Could Not Be Found

This little beauty is quite common in NSW and Vic, this particular one comes from our 4WD Club's training property near Bredbo in NSW.
Image Could Not Be Found

This lovely blue ground orchid is from the Stirling Ranges, WA.
Image Could Not Be Found

Sometimes to get a decent photo the old knees get a bit of a workout!
Image Could Not Be Found

This pink Caladenia was the object of all that kneeling.
Image Could Not Be Found

Cheers,

Val
J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 443008

Follow Up By: Member - Barry H (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 22:23

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 22:23
Hi Val,

Now you have got me on a roll, here are some more taken over the last year or so down around the very south east of the WA coastline.

Image Could Not Be Found
This is one of my favoutites, the Zebra.
Image Could Not Be Found
I cant claim credit for this one, my wife took it.
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found

I like your bearded one, it must have been a fair size.

Regards

Barry H
FollowupID: 715090

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Jan 26, 2011 at 11:39

Wednesday, Jan 26, 2011 at 11:39
Hi Barry,

I like your zebra, saw one with stronger stripes west of the Stirling Ranges. The bearded one from memory was maybe 2cm long to the tip of the beard, and literally growing besdie the bitumen. They seem to like disturbed ground.

Half the fun with these flowers is spotting them in the first place, so Im not so keen on guided tours that do the finding for you.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 715140

Follow Up By: Member - Barry H (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 26, 2011 at 20:34

Wednesday, Jan 26, 2011 at 20:34
Val,

I agree guided tours are a definate no no for us, we have been trying to find the Queen of Sheba for about three years now, we could have found it with a conducted tour, but prefer to do it ourseves.

Barry H
FollowupID: 715208

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Jan 26, 2011 at 20:49

Wednesday, Jan 26, 2011 at 20:49
Hi Barry,

I have to admit we cheated a bit on this one - we were looking for orchids when a tour came along, so of course curiosity got the better of us and we were well rewarded. Image Could Not Be FoundDespite its brilliant colour this little queen was quite hard to spot. But I know that I would have been so thrilled if we had found it without ant help. My excuse is that it a long way back from the eastern states!

Cheers,

Val
J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 715211

Follow Up By: Member - Barry H (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 26, 2011 at 23:10

Wednesday, Jan 26, 2011 at 23:10
WOW I cant wait until we find our first one.

We have come close a few times but no cigar so far.

Barry H
FollowupID: 715238

Sponsored Links