West Aust Wildflowers ... info please

Will be visiting WA for first time in late Sept and would like a bit of local advice on best location in South West WA to see them
Thanks
Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Paul V1 - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2011 at 19:37

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2011 at 19:37
this link may help

http://www.westernaustralia.com/en/Things_to_See_and_Do/Suggested_Itineraries/Pages/Wildflowers.aspx
AnswerID: 457542

Reply By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2011 at 21:41

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2011 at 21:41
And on your way up to the Paynes find area (which is a must do for wildflowers in a good season, and the area has had good rains so far this yr), go up from Perth via the new Indian Ocean Drive and visit Lesueur NP.

http://www.dec.wa.gov.au/component/option,com_hotproperty/task,view/id,62/Itemid,755/

Kadji Station nr Morawa has also recently been purchased by DEC WA and should be speccie as well - it is reasonably on the route to Paynes Find area.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 457555

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2011 at 22:14

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2011 at 22:14
Hi Steve,

Im not a local from WA but we had a wonderful time finding wildflowers over there in 09. From about the third week in August when we were at Mullewa we saw masses of flowers of an incredible variety, including the ground orchids at Canna. Kalbarri NP was wonderful, as was Mt Leseuer NP. We spent time in the Stirling Ranges NP, Fitzgerald River NP and Cape le Grande NP towards the end of Sept and again the flowers were superb.

But apart from the NPs there are many roads with wide verges and fairly intact native vegetation and we spent a lot of time in those areas seeing many different flowers including lots of ground orchids. eg the road from Mullewa-Wubin Rd, from Wathreoo west to Badgingarra, and down the south coast highway from Jerramungup to name a few very rewarding stretches of road.

Have a look at our blogs from 09 for more detail. Have a great trip and take lots of photos.

Cheers ,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 457560

Reply By: Member - Mary-Teresa R- Thursday, Jun 16, 2011 at 00:18

Thursday, Jun 16, 2011 at 00:18
The Chittering Valley (around Bindoon and, not surprisingly, Chittering) takes in three distinct "wildflower zones" - lots and lots of different flowers all in one area. They usually have a Wildflower Festival late in September which offers guided tours of wildflowers - a nice walk up Blackboy Ridge when we went, although we didn't go on the tour. We saw where the tour had been, but didn't know what they had been looking at (aside from wildflowers) - we assume it was something specific. Anyway, beautiful area, beautiful wildflowers, good bakery at Bindoon and not too far from Perth (under 100km), but North, not South West. Apparently the Stirling Ranges is a great place for wildflowers down South - we hope to get there this coming Spring. Specifically the South West, I'm not too sure, but there's some good bushland around Margaret River where there's sure to be wildflowers somewhere.

Good Luck

Mary-Teresa
AnswerID: 457566

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 16, 2011 at 06:43

Thursday, Jun 16, 2011 at 06:43
Western Flora near Eneaba is worth going to.
Around the Pemberton area has good displays of forest wildflowers.
It all depends on different areas as to what wildflowers you see.
AnswerID: 457577

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Thursday, Jun 16, 2011 at 11:13

Thursday, Jun 16, 2011 at 11:13
We did the WA flowers thing in WA, Sept. 09 and were totally blown away ! My blog has a few pics here. There is some blurb there on our experiences. Oh..... and the locals report of course that there are good and bad seasons and everything in between - 09 was great - not sure re the current drought - water is being carted into some communities now :-o(.
AnswerID: 457605

Reply By: Member - Min (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 16, 2011 at 16:34

Thursday, Jun 16, 2011 at 16:34
Hi Steve,

Like Val, we were there in 09 specifically to look at wildflowers. Check out my blog.

Have a wonderful time.

Min
AnswerID: 457623

Reply By: MAVERICK(WA) - Thursday, Jun 16, 2011 at 19:18

Thursday, Jun 16, 2011 at 19:18
I went and played around the Wubin - Paynes Find area on our long weekend and there is the promise of a bumper season for wildflowers up there. Not being very flora savvy (having managed to trample orchids - I didn't know they were so small) I can only inform that the amount of rain through the Murchison and Nth and NE Wheatbelt will cause much enjoyment to those who are. once Sth of Moora it gets a lot less wet so i guess that means less flower things come Aug-Sept. rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 457636

Reply By: stockade1 - Friday, Jun 17, 2011 at 05:33

Friday, Jun 17, 2011 at 05:33
Thanks everyone for the advice and links . Looks great , cant wait to see WA
AnswerID: 457667

Sponsored Links