older campers and their value

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 20, 2011 at 21:34
ThreadID: 89662 Views:2217 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We have an older style camper, it is an ACT around 1970, canvas roof (not the hard top) with push out beds. All the kitchen (if there was ever one) has been removed and has benches running along each side, the fridge is still in it.
We have replaced a piece of canvas in the roof, the canvas over the beds is ok, but stained and relatively thin. The cover is brand new and becomes an annexe.

We have been offered a 1975 Viscount camper also with push out beds, this has a kitchen, but no fridge (not a big deal, we have a car fridge), it's in good condition and for sale for $2000. It would be more practical for us as it effectively has an extra bed (we are 2 adults and 1 teenager and 1 child).

I was hoping others could give their opinion on whether the second one is a good deal and whether we could get a similar price for the first one. There are a couple of the viscounts on ebay, but hard to judge what they are worth/will go for. I can't find an ACT camper for sale around the net.

Thanks for any replies.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Brian R (WA) - Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 00:56

Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 00:56
Hi Nutmeg
Very difficult to say how good a buy/change this would be. Both campers could be near their use by date.

Have you thought off putting a camper together using a NEW 6x4 or 7x5 trailer and a trailer tent
Brian
AnswerID: 468176

Reply By: Hi-ryder - Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 05:49

Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 05:49
Hi Nutmeg ,I sold my ACT camper (hardroof) at the start of the year for around 3000 ,. But with that it was very tidy unit. . If the viscount suits your needs then it has got to be worth 2grand all day . I would say the viscount would be bigger??? Just remember which one has the quicker set up and by the sound of it the viscount ticks a few other boxs for you . Good luck
AnswerID: 468181

Reply By: Nutmeg - Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 09:07

Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 09:07
Thankyou both very much for your replies. Yes, they are both getting near their useby date, as much as I'd like to upgrade, just don't have the $$$$ at this stage.

If your ACT camper sold for $3000 and was a hard top and in great condition, we are possibly pushing it hoping for $2000 for ours.

It is true that the viscount is bigger and would be more comfortable for our family.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer, any other thoughts gratefully received.

AnswerID: 468192

Reply By: Bill BD - Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 10:14

Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 10:14
I wouldn't be so sure to assign an old camper as "reached use by date". If the canvas and interior are still good then it has years to go. The bearings, suspension, etc can be upgraded easily if needed. My 1980's camper has years left. $2000 has got to be good value if the interior is clean (no water stains, delaminating, etc) and the canvas is sound.
AnswerID: 468198

Sponsored Links