Address & Contact
South Eastern Freeway
Mount Osmond SA 5064
On an island in the middle of the road is the Toll House, built in 1841, when the colony was suffering severe financial hardship.
Tolls were collected (from those travellers who did not choose to undertake a hazardous bypass route), until 1847, when the levies were abolished, it being seen as unjust that this road should be the only road in the State to be taxed. The toll-gate
keeper lived in the hexagonal house, with a small garden. His hours were fixed by the Act (No. 4 of 1841) “from twelve o’clock at night to twelve o’clock of the next succeeding night”!