Caravan tyres

Submitted: Monday, May 06, 2024 at 14:32
ThreadID: 147651 Views:1551 Replies:9 FollowUps:7
Hi all you tyre experts, Can any one tell me why I should not replace my all terrian tyres, with a highway tread light truck tyre which are cheaper, and probably do the job just as well. all correspondence greatly received. the tyres are on a 23ft semi off road caravan.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Reply Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, May 06, 2024 at 15:04

Monday, May 06, 2024 at 15:04
The only reason to have AT tyres on a trailer is if you have identical wheels and tyres on the trailer and the tow vehicle.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 645823

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Monday, May 06, 2024 at 15:19

Monday, May 06, 2024 at 15:19
Hi Peter, the off set for the van is different to the vehicle as it was set up for a Nissan TI 550 pathfinder not a 200 series Landcruiser, which is what we had when the Van was built, and unfortunately, have different wheel offsets, and stud patterns, with the pathfinder being slightly smaller, which can be frustrating when one has a puncture.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 926207

Reply By: qldcamper - Monday, May 06, 2024 at 16:19

Monday, May 06, 2024 at 16:19
Sidewall protection maybe?
LTs might also have a higher ply rating making them stiffer. Question best directed at a tyre shop.
AnswerID: 645825

Reply By: RMD - Monday, May 06, 2024 at 17:16

Monday, May 06, 2024 at 17:16
Broodie.
To me, the issue ISN'T to have the same wheel/tyre combination, that is secondary.
I don't think it is for sidewall protection much either. I regard a 23' van either dual axle or single axle has all terrain or even open tread is; for WHEN OFF ROAD and the conditions are slippery.
For instance, cornering on mountain roads, braking in loose stuff and ESPECIALLY if negotiating DOWNHILL on a clay surface as is found on offroad situations, I want as MUCH GRIP as possible so the 23' van isn't shunting the vehicle, ie, out of control, read no ability to brake, or trying to perform sideways overtaking of the tow vehicle and at least has some ability to grip, sometimes, so a degree of control CAN BE MAINTAINED. Smoother, road tyres will almost instantly be skating and severe loss of braking ability and loss of sideways control and render any stability system in modern vans to be useless. If only ON road then something which acts like SLICKS in the poor conditions may be OK, for some.

I see things differently to many! Think what the open tread can do if required to perform, and it may even self clean the tread mud to some degree when rotating. ON Road tyres won't.
I agree they are cheaper. All depends on usage and safety level you require.
I did have a Tvan for 10 years and it would be alarmingly sideways in slippery stuff but the open tread and design held it from more than 45Degrees sideways. Slicks won't!
AnswerID: 645827

Follow Up By: Member - William B - Tuesday, May 07, 2024 at 08:50

Tuesday, May 07, 2024 at 08:50
I had mud terrain type tyres on my caravan, when I went to replace them the tyre shop recommend a LT tyre.
I was happy with the ply rating and on the road they performed well, but as soon as we where on some slippery stuff the tread quickly filled up and the mud stayed there.
Next time I would definitely go with a AT or mud type tyre.
William
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 926216

Follow Up By: RMD - Tuesday, May 07, 2024 at 10:06

Tuesday, May 07, 2024 at 10:06
William
Unfortunately you believed the "tyre recommendation expert". Many times those people HAVE NEVER BEEN OFF ROAD or used the tyres they fit to your vehicle in same situations.. Most are sellers of stuff. However, some do know their business well and WILL ask what your situation is. Just because they suggest it, might be because there is better profit from the sale even though the tyres may also be cheaper. I had a local Goodyear dealer tell me I needed "the wheel alignment" and said what he would be doing, I said NO, he was wrong with his adjustments he intended to perform. He has been in the tyre game for at least 35 years. Time in industry doesn't mean correct knowledge of subject. He obviously knows more about tyres than I do.
If you had an accident attributed the the tyres he fitted, he would never know because you may not exist anymore, but the tyres had good tread on them.
FollowupID: 926219

Follow Up By: Member - LeighW - Tuesday, May 07, 2024 at 13:18

Tuesday, May 07, 2024 at 13:18
Have to agree though others won't, I see many saying you don't need off road tyres on vans as the wheels are not driven and they throw up rocks, they are only there for shows etc.

Having driven plenty of serious off road tracks in wet and dry conditions I find off road tyres give much better grip and bracking in muddy conditions etc.anbd clear the tread better. Different off road tyres can make a difference also, I have driven with another who had the same car and very similar van on a very greasy road, he had AT's on I had semi mud, his van was sliding all over the place while my with semi mud terrians on just sat behind the car.

Really though it is up to how you use the van, if your not going to wander off the black stuff or good gravel roads then fit suitable tyres for those condtions and save some money.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 926221

Reply By: Garry L - Monday, May 06, 2024 at 18:37

Monday, May 06, 2024 at 18:37
Different load rating might be in play ??

Insurance ?

Cheers
Gazz
AnswerID: 645828

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Monday, May 06, 2024 at 20:01

Monday, May 06, 2024 at 20:01
I always put the same rims and tyres on trailers as I have on the tow vehicle. Worst case scenario you can ditch the caravan and take the rims and tyres to get out of trouble.
On the other hand skinny road tyres have less rolling resistance and that will save fuel. Wont last for shit on a rough rocky road though.
AnswerID: 645830

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Tuesday, May 07, 2024 at 07:56

Tuesday, May 07, 2024 at 07:56
Hi Broddie H3,

Tyre choice come down to a few parameters.

Firstly, the type of roads you will be travelling on. If only highway with the occasional gravel, a highway tread pattern in a Light Truck construction would be a suitable choice. If, on the other hand you intend to do a lot of gravel roads and some sand then an AT in Light Truck construction would be a better choice. If you intend to take your van on some of the more extreme off road tracks (not sure why you would), then a more aggressive Mud Terrain in Light Truck construction would be more suitable. If travelling on any muddy, or sandy roads, tyres with good “side biter” tread blocks will help keep the van going where you want it to go.

Secondly, the weight of the load that the tyres will be supporting, and whether or not you will need to run them at lower pressures. Light Truck construction generally have more belts and stronger side walls. This allows you to run at lower pressures where the sidewall may bulge out making them more vulnerable to potential punctures from sticks and rocks etc. and also the main surface in contact with the road, the stronger side walls will also allow for a little more flexing.

There is no doubt that a Light Truck tyre is a stronger tyre, the tread pattern is really the other main consideration. The more open the tread pattern, the more traction you should have, we’ll that is the theory. Of course the offset to more traction is more noise and greater wear, particularly on hard surfaces such as bitumen. Personally, I do not see a need for me to use Mud Terrain tyres on my van.

There are a couple of manufacturers that produce a tread pattern that is in between an All Terrain and a Mud Terrain. Coopers, Mickey Thompson and Toyo come to mind.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 645832

Follow Up By: RMD - Tuesday, May 07, 2024 at 09:56

Tuesday, May 07, 2024 at 09:56
I don't agree the stronger side walls allow for MORE FLEXING at all. Thicker sidewalls REDUCE FLEXING, which is why they ride harder. Running at the same lower pressure, a thicker side wall tyre will not look as flat, simply because the sidewalls are assisting in supporting the weight. Mercedes cars use RUNFLAT tyres and their sidewalls are THICK, in order to hold the rim off the road. No Prince Harry's/No Spares in those stupid vehicles.
FollowupID: 926218

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Monday, May 13, 2024 at 15:08

Monday, May 13, 2024 at 15:08
At the moment I run Nitto tyres on the cruiser and Wildpeak at on the van, the Nitto tyres have been on there for 40,oooklm and still look like new. the wild peak have been on the van for 7oooo klm and are coming to the end of there travelling time both types of tyre have performed exceptionally well. the hand brake has determined that we dont do as many dirt roads[preferably none] anymore. after doing the Oodnadatta track the Birdsville track and the Gibb river roads and outback N>S>W, and QLD roads and a lot of W.A I think I shall stick with What I have . thank you all for your comments
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 926295

Reply By: RMD - Wednesday, May 08, 2024 at 10:04

Wednesday, May 08, 2024 at 10:04
Broodie.
So, what is the decision for your use? I am surprised many don't ever think of braking ability, grip and stability issues as important for their van. Perhaps they never think into it deeply enough or ever realize much at all.
AnswerID: 645843

Reply By: Gbc.. - Friday, May 10, 2024 at 07:53

Friday, May 10, 2024 at 07:53
Other countries get trailer specific tyres with big grooves for going in one direction - we of course aren't that lucky. A delivery van style tyre would be the closest we get which is a heavy construction with not much rotational resistance. As the name suggests, any highway biased tyre is going to perform better there than an AT/MT. I have had them on boat trailers for years and dragged them underinflated up beaches etc without issue. My trakshak had a set of Cooper highway terrains on it for 10 years and did some awfully difficult things without incident. As others have said, if you intend to get out of level and off camber in mud then there is only one choice and the more aggressive the better. All depends on your needs and weights. My current trailer has MT's because that's what it came with.
AnswerID: 645849

Reply By: Member - peter g28 - Friday, May 10, 2024 at 17:44

Friday, May 10, 2024 at 17:44
Your van is 23ft..probably dual wheeled..so you would be pushing between 2500kg to 3000kg ATM, so you would need a tyre for the maximum ATM ie load rating and the speed component of approx 120kph.
Personally..I would stick to a good quality LT AT tyre..for you will be the load rating, speed component and durability / mileage you will need for both sealed and unsealed roads.

AnswerID: 645854

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Monday, May 13, 2024 at 15:15

Monday, May 13, 2024 at 15:15
So for me , it is stick to what I have at this current time, which is tight truck a/t. thnak you
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 926297

Sponsored Links