Rhino rack Platform ver 6 trap for the unwary

Submitted: Tuesday, May 07, 2024 at 17:17
ThreadID: 147653 Views:1036 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
Just purchased a new rhino rack platform. I went to fit my old fittings - maxtrax, awning, boxes only to find that they dont fit. Rhino rack have changed the C channel. To buy 8 new style nuts is $71, a set of three eye bolts $83, new awning bracket $100. New box mounts $170. To me these prices are outrageous and although I’m stuck with this now I’ll have to spend the extra $$. Thinking of just drilling through the platform and using normal bolts.
Australia we love

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Reply Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Tuesday, May 07, 2024 at 17:25

Tuesday, May 07, 2024 at 17:25
That's a bit poor for an Aussie company. I think I'd be letting them know that you are not happy.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 645838

Follow Up By: RMD - Tuesday, May 07, 2024 at 17:29

Tuesday, May 07, 2024 at 17:29
Jim
Maybe, simply an Aussie seller of imported gear. They have to change to STOP reuse of previous designed gear. It is the BUSINESS MODEL, you see!

Beware of a RHINO charging! It can easily dent your wallet!
FollowupID: 926223

Follow Up By: NichBails - Tuesday, May 07, 2024 at 19:19

Tuesday, May 07, 2024 at 19:19
Very dissapointing, I totally agree with you. I buy aussie gear to support our local jobs and industry but unfortunately they dont support us the consumer by price gouging and charging outrageous fees for a few nuts probably made in China for a few cents. Normally I just move on but on this occasion I feel totally ripped off. I’d encourage others to beware of rhino racks as when you buy one then you need the expensive accessories

Australia we love

FollowupID: 926226

Follow Up By: Member - LeighW - Tuesday, May 07, 2024 at 20:41

Tuesday, May 07, 2024 at 20:41
Looking at the nuts, they aren't just nuts they are a plastic cage with a threaded cam in it and they appear to be a proprietary assembly. They would have had to make the injection moulders etc which is not a cheap excersive at around $6 for each unit not to bad a price. The old plain nuts cost around $3.40 so not that great a difference.

They have changed to the new style to remove the slotted areas in the old style planks which at times were inconvient if you wanted to mount something where the slot is.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 926227

Follow Up By: NichBails - Tuesday, May 07, 2024 at 21:19

Tuesday, May 07, 2024 at 21:19
They could have stayed with the old nuts and supported existing customers. The new style do not have any functional benefit over the previous nuts. However they will lock customers into purchasing very expensive captive nuts from rhino racks. Obviously a business decision based on greed rather than customer support which will backfire on them. Also 6x8=48 not $72which they are charging.
Australia we love

FollowupID: 926228

Follow Up By: Member - LeighW - Wednesday, May 08, 2024 at 09:12

Wednesday, May 08, 2024 at 09:12
I personnally think getting rid of the cutouts needed to fit the old style nuts was a good idea, is a bit of a pity you can't use the old style but then I still question could you have not fitted the required old style units to the rack when you assembled it?

I found the nuts online for $52.80 from roof rack city.

I dont think the decision for the new style would have been easy, complicates their stores they now need to have kits for things like shovel holders in two versions with old and new fixings.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 926232

Reply By: RMD - Tuesday, May 07, 2024 at 17:38

Tuesday, May 07, 2024 at 17:38
N B.
Not sure how handy you are with metalwork, but I would buy some aluminium STOCK of suitable cross section and drill and tap, and cut steps with an angle grinder. Using a thin cutting wheel with little bits removed with pointy pliers, ie, scalloped in a few places around the periphery, the wheel will cut grooves and steps if grinder run along a suitable guide. Cut to required lengths then. Dedicated Hardware suppliers, ie, for mining and industry have a myriad of Eye bolt types to select from. Don't know what the awning bracket requires or the Box Mounts. Sounds special but are they?
It is all just scaffolding after all !
AnswerID: 645839

Reply By: Richard M29 - Tuesday, May 07, 2024 at 18:20

Tuesday, May 07, 2024 at 18:20
I would just drill through. I bought a different rack this time round, a european rack can't remember the name, and just used rhino rack hardware for it, and drilled the holes for the awning, it's not like I am going to take it off, will sell with the vehicle, as the awning is quite old now.
AnswerID: 645840

Reply By: Member - LeighW - Tuesday, May 07, 2024 at 18:27

Tuesday, May 07, 2024 at 18:27
Looking at the assembly instructions it looks like you can still use the old style nuts but need to remove the plastic corner to fit them to the outer slots. I assume you could fit them into the other slots before assembling the tray if you need them fitted to the inner planks?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 645841

Follow Up By: NichBails - Tuesday, May 07, 2024 at 18:55

Tuesday, May 07, 2024 at 18:55
Thanks for info but Only works for the outer rails and not for the inners.
Australia we love

FollowupID: 926225

Reply By: Jarse - Tuesday, May 14, 2024 at 18:49

Tuesday, May 14, 2024 at 18:49
I just fitted one to my Ranger.

The Zwiflocks (or whatever they're called) can be had for around $50. STILL a ripoff.

All my previous fittings (except lightbar brackets) fit without modification (apart from stupid zwiflocks). That's jerry holders, maxtrax holders and Supapeg awning brackets.

The awning and maxtrax brackets still are attached with M8 bolts and inserts on the outer channel, and zwiflocks on the others.
AnswerID: 645886

Sponsored Links