Toyota Landcruiser 1VD V8 diesel oil pickup problems

Submitted: Wednesday, May 08, 2024 at 08:19
ThreadID: 147659 Views:1275 Replies:5 FollowUps:13
Hi All,

Has anyone heard anything about this. I have spoken to my local mechanic & a Toyota dealer & they have never heard of it.

Toyota Landcruiser 1VD V8 diesel oil pickup problems

How to replace oil pickup
Back Reply Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Wednesday, May 08, 2024 at 10:00

Wednesday, May 08, 2024 at 10:00
Yack
Thinking logically, a local mechanic only sees relative few such vehicles, and a dealer WILL NEVER admit to any knowledge of such things. So, therefore they are the two most least likely to have any awareness of the problem.

There are many parts in modern vehicle which fail. Nissan Navara timing chain guides, BMW car timing chain guides. From experience extremely thin wall BMW plastic radiator inlet spigots simply break off. 1mm thick wall on a VERY expensive vehicle. Not Surprised Toyota has used plastic in their oil pickups. it too can fail. Bean counting? Hardly a SERVICE item as claimed by the video man. Oh, "I take my sump off at every oil change", RIGHT! and have a stock of oil pickups ready for action. Everyone does don't they?
A very cheap bolt in Dodge Rams, breaks and destroys the engine. That sounds good economy.
Earlier Mitsubishi engines had a little thin bike chain driving ESSENTIAL shafts in the engine, ie, oil pump etc. They flogged out their guides/broke and destroyed the engine.
AnswerID: 645842

Follow Up By: @Yackandandah - Wednesday, May 08, 2024 at 14:25

Wednesday, May 08, 2024 at 14:25
With regard to local mechanic that is not correct. He had recently received a service bulletin about replacing transfer pump in 2nd fuel tank at 150k in Prado
FollowupID: 926237

Follow Up By: RMD - Wednesday, May 08, 2024 at 16:51

Wednesday, May 08, 2024 at 16:51
Yack
How does receiving a bulletin from someone about a fuel pump in a secondary tank in a Prado have much to do with an oil pickup in a V8 Toyota diesel????? At 150k many WILL NOT have used the reserve tank much at all in a Prado.
Puzzling!
FollowupID: 926238

Follow Up By: @Yackandandah - Wednesday, May 08, 2024 at 16:58

Wednesday, May 08, 2024 at 16:58
You are missing the point. The local mechanic that I was referring to is very well informed & receives service bulletins about various makes/models. I used the example of the Prado to show that he keeps up to date on changes.
FollowupID: 926241

Reply By: Member - LeighW - Wednesday, May 08, 2024 at 10:26

Wednesday, May 08, 2024 at 10:26
Standard service check for a Prado for anyone that knows is to check the filter screen for any signs of blockage caused by failing injector seals.

Note, the service schedule for Prado from memory indicates tappet clearances should be checked every 40000km. If this check is performed the fuel injectors need to be removed and the seals replaced so failure is less likely to occur. Problem is dealers don't do it as it is expensive and if they are not meticulously clean and properly prepare the injector seats and keep dirt out of the injectors they can cause expensive problems. So they just listen for tappet noise, no noise then they don't need adjusting but seals don't get replaced and can fail.

When I was travelling I asked a local dealer if I could wait while they serviced the Prado and they said yep no problems. When I took the car in I asked if they could make sure the oil pickup screen was clear. I sat down and a few minutes later the receptionist comes over and says they won't be able to service the car then and there I would have to leave it and pick it up later.

They obviously knew what I was referring too but weren't intitially going to leave the car long enough for the oil to drain away properly so that the could check the filter screen.

Anyone with a D4D should have the screen checked when the oil is changed. Also is a good idea to fit an oil pressure gauge if one is not fitted so that you can keep track of any pressure changes. Amazes me that they put Tachos in cars, temeprature gauges and possibly voltmeters meters but one of the most critical systems in the car doesn't generally have a gauge to monitor it these days and even in most cases the engine management system doesn't keep track of oil pressure. blockage caused by failing injector seal

Amazes me that they put Tachos in cars, temperature gauges and possibly voltmeters meters but one of the most critical systems in the car doesn't generally have a gauge to monitor it these days and even in most cases the engine management system doesn't monitor oil pressure. By the time the oil pressure light comes on at around 3PSI from memory it is to late, if the engine management system monitored oil pressure with regards to engine RPM and temperature it could n when a detect when a blockage is occurring and warn of it.

PS in the Prado the screen can be seen through the oil drain hole, don't know about the 200 series.

Checking oil pressure with a service gauge should give an indication of the state of the screen but with the Prado for instance is a a pain in the bum to access and fit a adapter to check it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 645844

Follow Up By: RMD - Wednesday, May 08, 2024 at 12:33

Wednesday, May 08, 2024 at 12:33
Leigh.
I agree with most of what you said, but most valve clearances in modern vehicles have cam and bucket designed gear. Therefore, as the valve clearances get LESS as they do, the possibility of them making any noise becomes LESS and LESS. ie, no noise initially and even less after many km's. A dealer who "listens for any noise" is fooling someone, ONLY if the valve clearance becomes greater because of a sliding surface failure will any noise ever be emitted. They don't have TAPPETS at all!
Because dealers never check clearances, is why people find loss of power and some failures because the No Noise clearances became No clearance. People usually find that after they buy a used vehicle ,which has been impeccably serviced, only to find valves were NEVER done in 300 ,000km.
FollowupID: 926233

Follow Up By: Member - LeighW - Wednesday, May 08, 2024 at 13:24

Wednesday, May 08, 2024 at 13:24
Yep agree, seems these days out of sight out of mind. Mind you at least in the case of the Prado the manufacture has not made it easy to check either.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 926235

Follow Up By: RMD - Wednesday, May 08, 2024 at 16:54

Wednesday, May 08, 2024 at 16:54
The service CHECK for Prado and Hilux engines ONLY became to fruition after people found the injector seals were faulty and gumming up the whole engine. It was FORCED upon Toyota to make it like that to avoid repercussions and save reputation.
FollowupID: 926239

Follow Up By: Member - LeighW - Wednesday, May 08, 2024 at 17:30

Wednesday, May 08, 2024 at 17:30
Yes but and if the valve clearance check was done as scheduled many if not all of the failures would ahve been avoided.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 926243

Reply By: Batt's - Wednesday, May 08, 2024 at 11:07

Wednesday, May 08, 2024 at 11:07
Just watched a you tube video about it worth researching to see if it helps you come up with some answers he has a d4denco website sign behind him. Looks like they still choose to use cheap plastic parts in an engine that gets hot and can ruin or melt them. Anyway it might help you or not.
It's funny as it looks like they made a small plastic sump that collects things that break off the internall of the engine.
AnswerID: 645845

Follow Up By: RMD - Wednesday, May 08, 2024 at 12:36

Wednesday, May 08, 2024 at 12:36
Plastic parts are common in autos too. Fraud, sorry, Ford, use plastic in the auto valve bodies and solenoid valving. The don't like getting hot and many run much hotter than a diesel engine oil does.
FollowupID: 926234

Follow Up By: Member - LeighW - Wednesday, May 08, 2024 at 13:33

Wednesday, May 08, 2024 at 13:33
Nothing wrong with plastic as long it is suitable for the job, why do car manufactures persist with using plastic wiring holders for instance when they perish and break before the car has done 100000km.

Oh forgot car manufactures won't you junk it before them and repalce it with a new one.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 926236

Follow Up By: RMD - Wednesday, May 08, 2024 at 16:57

Wednesday, May 08, 2024 at 16:57
Leigh
Plastic usage in holding wiring , ie, non critical, is VASTLY DIFFERENT to plastic parts which are meant to LAST but failing inside engine and transmission functions.
FollowupID: 926240

Follow Up By: Member - LeighW - Wednesday, May 08, 2024 at 17:28

Wednesday, May 08, 2024 at 17:28
No its not actually, if your going to use plastic to hold cables etc then it should be durable enough to last the life of the car yet is common for them to go brittle due to engine heat and break.

Same for in the engine parts etc, as long as a suitable plastic is used then it should not be an issue, some plastics can be as strong or stronger than if made from metal.

Same for one of the fuel hoses, on my Prado one is moulded with a concertina shape to allow it to flex yet it is well known that the part goes hard overtime and cracks. Now a lot of those units would have been changed of the years but Toyota is still making the replacements out of the same material. You would think they would have found a more suitable rubber/plastic to prevent that happening or at least put out a service bulletin on it. Seems unless issues are causing the car manufactures grief ie failures within the warranty period they prefer not to change any of the original engineering as it costs them money.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 926242

Reply By: Member - FLNGO - Thursday, May 09, 2024 at 08:13

Thursday, May 09, 2024 at 08:13
Hi Yackandandah,

I viewed the first video 6mths ago & was concerned however in the Jaffa video (250kkm service) he needs to jamb the edge of a screwdriver into the screen to get it to fail. That is a point load designed to make it fail, not a distributed load which the screen it would see under normal use. I don't think he would have broken the screen using just thumb pressure.

Yet to be convinced I need to race out & change mine with 240kkm on my VDJ.

Regards

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 645848

Follow Up By: Member - LeighW - Thursday, May 09, 2024 at 08:57

Thursday, May 09, 2024 at 08:57
The other aspect is how hard is the plastic in the first place, you cn get soft platic and hard plastic. I'm assuming it is a soft plastic to start with and becomes brittle over time?

Toyota could have placed a metal filter screen inside the unit which I would have thought would have been easier than injection moulding a very fine mesh.

The other aspect is people just tend to accept these things, like the guy in the video indicates it is a serviceable item. Yes you have a sump cover to allow access to the pickup and whatever else in that area might need to be tended to ie oil level switch goes faulty, engine needs to be overhauled etc but I would expect the car manufacturer wasn't expecting all the pickup to have to be replaced regulary.

If it is as bad as being made out then owners and others should be making more noise about the issue not just replacing the unit as they have seen a video on it.

Write to the manufacture and complain, use email and ask for a receipt having an audit trail does wonders for getting organisations to take things seriously.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 926249

Reply By: Angus G2 - Friday, May 17, 2024 at 08:51

Friday, May 17, 2024 at 08:51
I have replaced my pick up tube as it was only 30$ plus gasket goo. I did watch the video a while ago and after attempting to inspect pick up for damage and carbon build up, I decided to replace.
It’s impossible to see the screen as it’s located halfway up pick up tube unlike old school screens where you can see them through sump plug hole.
Fairly simple job, as long as you don’t snap the oil level sensor float whilst cleaning off excessive oil.
I had 200+ k kms on engine.
AnswerID: 645903

Follow Up By: @Yackandandah - Friday, May 17, 2024 at 14:18

Friday, May 17, 2024 at 14:18
What vehicle do you have 200 or 70 series?
FollowupID: 926325

Sponsored Links