Solar again

Submitted: Sunday, May 12, 2024 at 19:44
ThreadID: 147681 Views:1354 Replies:10 FollowUps:7
I have a basic setup with Victron gear.
100/20 MPPT and 12/12 30 DC DC.
Overnight my batteries....2 x 120ah AGM
Go down to approx 80-90%. Roughly 20-30 ah used according to app.
Driving the next day seems to take all day to get back to 100%.
I have a 40ltr Trailblazer running as a freezer, and a Kings 15ltr running as a fridge. The 90ltr 3 way is wired direct to tug batteries. All wiring is I think more than adequate.
MPPT is on bulk charge and DC DC is on absorption after driving most of the day.
Question is, are they confusing each other and should is shut off MPPT while driving.
Just thought batteries would charge quicker while driving.
Cheers
Back Reply Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gronk - Sunday, May 12, 2024 at 21:32

Sunday, May 12, 2024 at 21:32
Not 100% of the time, but you are possibly using 25A to run 3 fridges……coupled with who knows how large a wire you have to feed the 3 fridges, so the unknown is how many amps are “free” to charge the batteries.
Lots of information to be told yet….are all the fridges in your van ? What voltage are you getting at the rear of the vehicle ? What is feeding into the MPPT ?
AnswerID: 645871

Reply By: RMD - Sunday, May 12, 2024 at 23:49

Sunday, May 12, 2024 at 23:49
Bricky
Although you don't mention it, the 90L 3 way must be in a caravan. Are the other fridges also in the van. Not clear there!

You didn't mention solar panels but did say about a victron 100/20/ So are the solar panels on the vehicle or the van? Best to know so people can reply appropriately.
Basically you have 100 AH of usable to 50% charge, ie normal. so the 80% to 90% seems reasonable.
More than adequate wiring, means it is bigger than recommended. Is it really?
If it is OE caravan wiring for solar then it is most likely far too small. Vans are not known to be at all generous with cable sizing and the resistance may be crippling the Victron performance.
What size is the solar panel. If a Chinese variety where the piddly output is about 3 times over stated on the label to reality, you may not be getting much from the solar through the MPPT. Only way to know is to monitor the ampere current flow into the battery between the Victron and the battery during good sun conditions. Then you will have some idea of it's performance and expected contribution to charge the battery.

The 90 litre will be sucking 15amps while running, a bit ess with cable length too long. The DCDC may be drawing or trying to draw 30 amps at times, so there is 45amps needed for most of the time. Fridge on 12v is a constant load, no thermostat there.
The vehicle if modern, will be asking for around 10 amps from the alternator to run vehicle, You didn't say what that is.
If it is a 100 amp output and a diode in the alternator is blown, the output will be reduced to 33% of it's max at best output. That would mean less than the demand. No fast charging. Is the alternator is top shape? What is it's output WHILE supplying all the gear and engine systems too.

Sounds like a bit of diagnostic testing is in order to determine amp flows in various areas so you know it is OK or not.
Without facts it is all guesstimation.
PS, $45 clamp meter to read dc operating current flows would be a good friend to have!
AnswerID: 645872

Reply By: Bricky - Monday, May 13, 2024 at 06:56

Monday, May 13, 2024 at 06:56
Thanks guys.
A bit more info.
Vehicle is a Fuso with a slide on with 2 fridges inside, and the Trailblazer in a toolbox on the tray.
The three way fridge, as mentioned is wired direct to the truck batteries through a VSR, totally isolated from the house batteries This was done professionally by a guy in Adelaide who does this as a business. From all reports he knows his stuff. Checks were made on the wiring for voltage drop....all good there. He also checked on the wiring for the MPPT which I did myself. Again all good.
Just one 150w panel on the roof, Kings. The reason for so little on the roof is we normally camp in the shade and put out a couple of portable panels.
The trailblazer draws around 5-6 amps when running. These fridges have great insulation so guess it would run maybe half the time where we are now. I think the 15ltr kings draws around 3 amps when running.
In not overly concerned, but was just wondering if the DC DC and the MPPT are confusing each other.
Cheers
AnswerID: 645873

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, May 13, 2024 at 08:34

Monday, May 13, 2024 at 08:34
Now we have the info we should have known in the first instance.
If relying on 150watt panel while driving, you do realize it cannot be 150watts unless a good quality panel and in optimum conditions. Being flat on the roof it is at an angle to the sun most of the time so less AGAIN. I would expect you will be getting a maximum of 75watts average if it is clean. As Macca said, check what current flows are happening so you can determine input charge total.

If you purchase an in line monitor which reads and displays total AH going/gone through it, that will show what has happened and shows AH achieved into batteries for each charge line. Yes you do have to have plugs to connect it, but over a couple of days you will get a good idea of each charging systems input.

Your fridges are running inside a WARM enclosure, UNLESS vented by fresh air from outside. Therefore, they may be running quite a bit more/often/longer than you think and using more AH than would be in cooler environment.
FollowupID: 926288

Follow Up By: TrevorDavid - Monday, May 13, 2024 at 12:38

Monday, May 13, 2024 at 12:38
Bricky

The DC to DC is all you need when driving. With the figures you’ve supplied it should recharge your batteries in 2-3 hours even with the fridges running.

Try disconnecting the MPPT and see how things go. Really only need it when camped in the sun or you’re using your portable panels.

Regards

TrevorDavid
dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 926292

Follow Up By: Bricky - Tuesday, May 14, 2024 at 07:18

Tuesday, May 14, 2024 at 07:18
Thanks TD
That is exactly what I was thinking. Solar panel on the roof is really only there to keep batteries topped up when outside and not in use and when stopped for a while shopping etc.
Will try turning MPPT of next time we are on the road.
Cheers
FollowupID: 926298

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, May 14, 2024 at 09:42

Tuesday, May 14, 2024 at 09:42
I look at it the other way.
The solar is providing free power whenever there is any decent light. It works when you drive or when you are parked. Why would you turn it off in favor of using more diesel?
Besides, they will work together quite happily.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 926299

Follow Up By: RMD - Tuesday, May 14, 2024 at 09:43

Tuesday, May 14, 2024 at 09:43
Bricky
Your 80 to 90% used as per App, IS, if 80%, actually 40 AH usage or perhaps more, not 20 or 30.
The App reading of 100% is only attained WHEN there is zero use from the system. Seeing you have 2 fridges running off the batteries, the 100% may only be there for a small amount of time.
Possibly you are wanting to see 100% but it may be very close to it most of it's life after charge has been delivered. ie, charged to 96% in a respectable time.
One thing you can do if using the Victron App, IS, to set the max charge voltage of the 100/20 to just under the DCDC delivery voltage while and then the DCDC will be in command of the majority of charge and the Victron adding when near full battery voltage hasn't been reached but closed off when the batt voltage is up high.
I have two MPPT regs working on one battery bank. The smaller capacity one is set to below the Renogy MPPT so the Renogy doesn't see over it's profile voltage at the time and shut down charging. The Renogy shuts the other to float if Renogy is higher. That may be the best for your situation.
We all like to see 100% charge but it is fleeting and not something having to be seen all the time and slightly less all the time is entirely normal .
FollowupID: 926300

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, May 14, 2024 at 15:09

Tuesday, May 14, 2024 at 15:09
Peter said……."Besides, they will work together quite happily."
Well yes, they should work together……. unless there is something wrong in the setup.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 926301

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, May 13, 2024 at 07:47

Monday, May 13, 2024 at 07:47
Hi Bricky,

Let me state that I am not an Auto. Elec. or a 12 volt expert.

A couple of things to clarify. You say your batteries are getting down to 80 to 90%, overnight, is that Depth of Discharge, (DOD), or State of Charge, (SOC)?

You also state you are using 20 to 30 AmpHrs, is that amps per hour, or a total of 30 amps used overnight?

Continuously running AGM batteries the down below 50% SOC is not recommended. Some people argue that it has no effect on the batteries, but most experts do not recommend this.

Given that the majority of compressor fridges use between 3 to 5 amps per hour when the compressor is cycling, 20 to 30 amps per hour seems like there is a lot more current being drawn from the batteries than just the 2 fridges. If we use 3 amps per hour as the load from each fridge, that is 6 amps per hour in total from the two compressor fridges. If you pull off the road at 4:00 pm, and get back on the road at 9:00am the next day, that is 17 hours. 17 x 6 = 102 amps in total just from the two compressor fridges. You have a total of 240 amps in your house batteries. If both house batteries are at 100% SOC at 4:00 pm, and are down to 20% SOC, at 9:00 am next morning, Then something else is drawing 48 amps overnight. What other 12 volt appliances are you running overnight?

You also state that the 3 Way Absorption fridge is wired directly to the trucks 12 volt system and not connected to the house batteries, so this should not be drawing directly from the house batteries.

If your DC/DC charger is delivering 30 amps per hour, it should be able to deliver 240 amps in 8 hours of continuous driving. However, you need to deduct from this the 48 amps that your fridges are drawing out in that same 8 hours whilst you are driving. You need to check and see if the MPPT is delivering current at the same time as the DC/DC is also delivering current.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 645874

Reply By: Zippo - Monday, May 13, 2024 at 10:46

Monday, May 13, 2024 at 10:46
Which DC-DC charger? Does it have a dedicated solar input? Is it expected to "play nice" as a load for the MPPT?
AnswerID: 645875

Reply By: Andrew L - Monday, May 13, 2024 at 12:19

Monday, May 13, 2024 at 12:19
my dc to dc has solar input and if any amps going in, will stay on solar when motor running, if try disconnecting the solar when driving around. If the solar is separate to the dc to dc, then the dc to dc is seeing higher volts than actual battery charge state and will float or absorb rather than bulk.
disconnect solar and measure battery volts. reconnect solar and measure again, you will be measuring the surface charge the solar is putting in, and this is what the dc will be seeing too
AnswerID: 645878

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Monday, May 13, 2024 at 13:18

Monday, May 13, 2024 at 13:18
Dont forget that some dcdc chargers wont kick in till 10-20% of the batteries capacity has been used.
AnswerID: 645880

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, May 13, 2024 at 14:57

Monday, May 13, 2024 at 14:57
I have a similar set up, though have an Enerdrive 40A dc dc charger & a Victron 100/30 MPPT, hooked up to an ATG 300Ah lithium battery. On roof of the canopy, have an LG 375w panel.
An 80L Engel upright & a 40L Engel chest fridge(as a freezer) use about 20% DOD overnight. I’ve had no battery dramas since adding the MPPT & the bigger panel. Previously had a 200w panel, but it didn’t do much.

Plan on adding 400-600w of panels to your roof & I’d be surprised if your problems won’t cease? And change to lithium batteries too!

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 645881

Reply By: qldcamper - Tuesday, May 14, 2024 at 08:36

Tuesday, May 14, 2024 at 08:36
If you have time try disconnecting one battery and running through a cycle and see how it behaves, then swap to the other battery and do the same and compare the results.
Could be as simple as a failing battery.
Your system sees your batteries as one battery, it can not see discharge of current from one battery to the other so the over all state of charge could be a lot lower than your app is thinking.
AnswerID: 645883

Reply By: qldcamper - Monday, May 27, 2024 at 08:28

Monday, May 27, 2024 at 08:28
Any follow up on this one available yet?
One other thing re recharge time, it isn't as simple as power available multiplied by time equals fully charged batteries.
There are other variables in play with AGMs such as surface charge affect which in itself has a lot of variables so can not just be added to the formula as a set figure.
A 30 amp dcdc charger will not be able to force 30 amps into a flat bank of lead acid batteries till they are anywhere near fully saturated.
AnswerID: 645967

Follow Up By: Bricky - Monday, May 27, 2024 at 13:56

Monday, May 27, 2024 at 13:56
Not as yet, haven't had the truck out.
Been busy unpacking after moving house.
Head up north in about a month, will see how things go then
Cheers
FollowupID: 926385

Sponsored Links