Newcastle Waters is a cattle station which has become a reminder to the hardship of life in the Northern Territory
.It is a large historic cattle station located 777 km north of Alice Springs
and 705 km south from Darwin
. Newcastle Waters is a small settlement (but virtually un inhabitated) on the Stuart Highway named after the river which runs through the town, Newcastle Waters was named after The Duke of Newcastle by the famous Australian explorer John Stuart in 1861 and the town is a good rest area with some heritage
status buildings - of note is the bronze 'Drovers Statue'.
The nearest petrol station and accommodation is to be found some 20 miles
south at Elliott
. Newcastle Waters is within the Katherine
region and further north the vivid reds of the 'Red Centre
' gradually give way to the more fertile environment found in a tropical monsoon climate. Near Newcastle Waters there is a large cattle station with over 40 000 head of cattle.
Newcastle Waters includes historical buildings including The Jones Store.
Constructed by Fred Ulyatt in 1934 to service the Drovers
overlanding cattle along the Murranji Track
and beyond. The Jones Store was operated by Arnold Lindsay (Jock) & Mrs Michaele Jones from 1936 - 1949. The building is now operated by the National Trust.