0, is the gateway from the east being just over 700km from Charleville
and approximately 70 metres above sea level with an annual rainfall of 200ml to 400ml. In 1885, the Queensland
Government decided to set up a customs post at Betoota collecting a toll for stock as they travelled the stock route. This practice continued until Federation in 1901. Betoota was also once the site of a Cobb & Co. change station.
Except for surrounding cattle stations, Betoota stands alone in the middle of a vast gibber plain. It was surveyed as a town in 1887 and quickly grew to three hotels, a police station, store and post office
. The remaining hotel was built in the late 1880's and was a favourite resting and refuelling spot
for visitors until it closed in October 1997. It is now the last remaining building in town. Operating until 1997 when it's owner Simon Remienko retired at 82yrs of age, originally from Poland Simon worked as a grader driver until he bought the Betoota Hotel in 1957. Owning the hotel for 47 years, Simon was Betoota's sole resident until ill health forced him to move.