<span class="highlight">Flinders</span> <span class="highlight">Ranges</span>

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 21, 2014 at 14:25
ThreadID: 108360 Views:2074 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi. We are from WA and want to head across to Flinders Ranges in middle July then go on Birdsville races. Will Probably leave caravan at Maree and tent it at the races. What is the best place to stay at Flinders Ranges and would appreciate any comments on the Birdsville track for caravan. we have 21? Ft New Age jewel semi off road.

thanks. Arnie B
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Saturday, Jun 21, 2014 at 14:34

Saturday, Jun 21, 2014 at 14:34
The Flinders Ranges are several hundred km long, with lots of accommodation opportunities throughout. Might pay to mention your preferred route through the region and also your requirements for the van (free camping, or power/water/toilets etc.). That said, Hawker is centrally situated and has two good caravan parks. As for shopping and fuel etc. when leaving the region for the north.... Leigh Creek is the pick.
AnswerID: 534742

Follow Up By: Crusier 91 - Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 08:50

Sunday, Jun 22, 2014 at 08:50
Have to agree, we have used Hawker as a central base location many times.

The Big M Caravan Park in Hawker has powered ensuite site (private shower and toilet)as well, you have to book in early to get these.

Keep in mind week 2 and 3 of July is SA's school holidays and it can get packed.
FollowupID: 818524

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Jun 21, 2014 at 14:44

Saturday, Jun 21, 2014 at 14:44
Arnie,

Been a number of Flinders related threads over the past 2-3 weeks. There was one about a week ago, that had a reply by Stephen L, with some excellent photos of the area. Think if you do a "search" on Flinders Ranges you'll get more than enough info to read until mid-July, or even longer :-)

From the few times we've been along the Birdsville Track, you wouldn't have any trouble, as long as you take your time. Say do Maree - Birdsville in about 2 days, rather than try for one day. Surface is usually good, and only place that could cause some grief, are the floodways that have been "sheeted" with coarser, and often sharper gravel. You'll need to take your time too, as there's plenty of Kodak moments. Special part of Oz, especially in the cooler months.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 534744

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jun 21, 2014 at 14:46

Saturday, Jun 21, 2014 at 14:46
Hi Arnie

Just make sure you allow at least 2 weeks in the Flinders, and even then you will not see it all.

I personally love Wilpena Pound as our base.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 534745

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Jun 21, 2014 at 22:35

Saturday, Jun 21, 2014 at 22:35
Stay at several Arnie

Went spent a couple of weeks in the northern section on our way home from Tasmania; Wilpena Pound, Brachina and Parachilna Gorges, Blinman, Chambers Gorge, Araroola. It was a rushed trip and we went straight though and missed so much. The next time we got as far as Quorn and Warren Gorge, again a short diversion from the main drag on our way home on a deadline. All beautiful country.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 534770

Sponsored Links